Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird Figured Mahogany

Ed Pitts

Good morning. Atleast it's morning in Alabama.

Just had to get up early to play my new Gibson.

Don't know if I am in the right forum because Mine is a Accoustic, custom shop, Limited edition.

I wanted to get more information on it such as the date it was made and since the tag says Limited Edition I would like to know how many in the edition and what number mine is.

The dater project says it won't work for custom shop.

Any suggestioms? I womder if product support has the answers?{ they sure do)

It says the model is "Hummingbird Figured Mah0gany"

Thanks

Welcome in, Ed. Yes, you've got the right forum for appreciating your new Hummingbird. Usually the best info for the number of guitars in your custom run would be obtained from the dealer who commissioned the run. Was the seller not able to provide you with any info along those lines? What year was the guitar advertised as? First and fourth digit of the serial number should get you that year of production.

A real nice Hummingbird you have there. Many people like a top with more pronounced grain lines like usually seen in red spruce tops, or the visual drama as on this koa custom. . .

Screen%20Shot%202016-12-18%20at%209.55.53%20AM_zpska6yjalx.png

. . . but the tight smooth grain in yours would seem to be a perfect match for a mellow strummer such as the Hummingbird.

Congrats on the new 'bird (and cool that you still have the ol' EBO bass from '68!)

Back'n'sides here come in the cross-grain or silking category. I'm not sure if there's any difference in these 2.

Some say cross-grain is a positive thing - could it be due the way the vibes are transmitted round the top or is it 'just' the aesthetic value.

One thing I know is that you landed on the right forum, , , and that some first wave Hummingbirds and fx J-45 had b'n's-wood like yours.

Not seen often as the norm was/is the withheld and quiet needle-grained mahogany.

Apart from that, your guitar seems to be a perfectly straight ex of a Standard H-bird - of course we haven't yet seen the headstock.

Welcome

I called Gibson and got the follownig information.

It was completed Aug 4 2016 n Boseman.

There were 50 of these made.They refer to any in this series as "1 of 50"

Sitka spruce top and Figured mahogany sides and back.

It has LR Baggs system that has a microphone and a bridge pickup.

It has the custom shop Logo

Model is "Hummingbird Figured Mahogany"

IMG_20161217_145620260_HDR_zps4cjb4pcn.jpg

http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/jpittssr/slideshow/Hummingbird%20Limited

Usually the best info for the number of guitars in your custom run would be obtained from the dealer who commissioned the run. Was the seller not able to provide you with any info along those lines?

This was from my local dealer, not a chain so I doubt if they would comission a run of 50. Their store is large and well stocked. They did have two location but they closed the old downtown location this year.

I called Gibson and got all the information and they emailed me a spec sheet for that guitar.

Thanks

This was from my local dealer, not a chain so I doubt if they would comission a run of 50. Their store is large and well stocked. They did have two location but they closed the old downtown location this year.

I called Gibson and got all the information and they emailed me a spec sheet for that guitar.

Thanks

Very good, Ed. Sounds like you're talking about Bailey Bros in Birmingham. Keith E. ("modoc_333" here on the forum) was a welcome asset to the forum during his time there. As a Five Star Gibson dealer, it would not be uncommon for them to get the scoop on some of the guitars made from some interesting limited runs, which would normally number between 50 or 60.

Good of you to respond to poor Hummingbird info-starved E-minor7's need to see that headstock ; ).

Archived