Gibson Brands Forums

resident trolls

jvi

beware forumites, seems to be resident trolls who high jack threads to be childish,and they live in here ! WATCH YOUR SPELlING !!! dont have your own opinion, love the new guitars they have, and keep on keeping on ! jim [-X

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

beware forumites, seems to be resident trolls who high jack threads to be childish,and they live in here ! WATCH YOUR SPELlING !!! dont have your own opinion, love the new guitars they have, and keep on keeping on ! jim [-X

Ye gods-watt next?

seems certain members who are here like to destroy threads of people they dont agree with, rather than just having an opinion they will deflect posts to meaningless unrelated bs Ive noticed a couple, and if i start a thread with a spelling error and the thread turns to **** and my question is lost, that to me is trollism, I like the forum but some folks seem to try to make points with like minded fools who arnt replying to questions, Ive seem many folks cynically replied to and am glad there are lots here who have respect and something to add but i do believe there may be members who like to make themselves big by making others small, j

My stringed instruments are all, by and large, mundane and prosaic, so there is little chance the offender is I.

I am fond of the English language, on the other hand, though I am generally loathe to offer any sort of criticism or pejorative opinion on anyone else's spelling, grammar, or syntax.

[mellow]

7120-15223.gif

This must be a mirth-free zone.

I hope jvi is saying that with tongue-in-cheek. If not, I'm in deep trouble.

Acerbic humor and scathing irony are traditional tools to deflate the self-inflated. The perception of when the line is crossed into unacceptable personal attacks varies from person to person, often based on whether the person is the attacker or the attacked.

Unfortunately, the anonymity of the internet makes it far easier to go overboard in both roles. All you have to do is visit the comments section of virtually any online news source.

Almost all discussion here is polite, informative, and supportive. But not all of it. When I see a thread getting uncomfortably close to personal attacks or unsubstantiated claims that can't politely be rebutted, I try to bail out on it. I don't always succeed.

Trolls are not worth anyone's time. You'll see more of them in the winter time because it's cold and drafty under those bridges. ........... Their nourishment is our replies to their bullcrap. Ignore them and they wither-on-the-vine. And if your post seems to get hijacked because it was taken in another direction, then welcome to the internet. Everyone has had it happen. Life is good. Enjoy it.

I believe it's a mistake to confine the phenomenon that's at work here to the status of something unique to this forum or, for that matter, to treat it as something for which anyone needs to apologize. I'm reminded of undergraduate classes at 'the university' which required students with very different academic values to take classes together before allowing them to escape into the world of graduate study where the focus is directed in ways that allow folks to pursue their true interests. Generally, with varying amounts of overlap, there are two distinct camps of intellectualism. On one hand, there's science, math, technology, engineering. On the other, there's Humanities, English language, human communication, and the like. Where you fit mainly is going to determine a lot about your values, mode of expression, reactions to the world around you, and - in the long haul - personality traits and ways of interacting with other viable humans. This, of itself, has no good or bad about it - it just is. What's important to you depends greatly on your mental and intellectual orientation - equally, so does what you consider to be relatively unimportant. Tolerance levels and ways of dealing with them also vary accordingly. Beyond a certain point, some folks will react with a sort of righteousness at the very notion that others aren't totally engaged by their unrelenting focus. Others will seek to lighten the mood. So, the name-calling eventually begins. One side finds the other childish and disrespectful. The other tends to regard side A, as it were, as pedantic and oblivious. The 'Troll' emerges on both sides of the line, and don't delude yourself about it. I'm a retired professor of English. Spelling matters in my world. You have other leanings. You'll do what you do, I'll do what I do. Both of us can be thought of as horrendously boring and irrelevant individuals. So it goes.... Most often, I believe that individual differences are better tolerated on the forum than most anywhere else where frequent interaction happens. I have come to value all the people here, despite the rise of rare and only occasional misunderstandings.

I believe it's a mistake to confine the phenomenon that's at work here to the status of something unique to this forum or, for that matter, to treat it as something for which anyone needs to apologize. I'm reminded of undergraduate classes at 'the university' which required students with very different academic values to take classes together before allowing them to escape into the world of graduate study where the focus is directed in ways that allow folks to pursue their true interests. Generally, with varying amounts of overlap, there are two distinct camps of intellectualism. On one hand, there's science, math, technology, engineering. On the other, there's Humanities, English language, human communication, and the like. Where you fit mainly is going to determine a lot about your values, mode of expression, reactions to the world around you, and - in the long haul - personality traits and ways of interacting with other viable humans. This, of itself, has no good or bad about it - it just is. What's important to you depends greatly on your mental and intellectual orientation - equally, so does what you consider to be relatively unimportant. Tolerance levels and ways of dealing with them also vary accordingly. Beyond a certain point, some folks will react with a sort of righteousness at the very notion that others aren't totally engaged by their unrelenting focus. Others will seek to lighten the mood. So, the name-calling eventually begins. One side finds the other childish and disrespectful. The other tends to regard side A, as it were, as pedantic and oblivious. The 'Troll' emerges on both sides of the line, and don't delude yourself about it. I'm a retired professor of English. Spelling matters in my world. You have other leanings. You'll do what you do, I'll do what I do. Both of us can be thought of as horrendously boring and irrelevant individuals. So it goes.... Most often, I believe that individual differences are better tolerated on the forum than most anywhere else where frequent interaction happens. I have come to value all the people here, despite the rise of rare and only occasional misunderstandings.

YEP [thumbup]

Good commentary!

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Nice summary.

I'd add that just because someone starts a thread that does not imply ownership of that thread and the content that follows, nor (hopefully) should what follows be implied to somehow be a slight against the OP - its the internet (!), once you put it up you lose ownership to the collective so you don't have to curate the thing or take any comments as direct attacks on your character. Most of the time with spelling (especially ironic stuff like the name of the company who owns the site) its just banter and fun, laughing with you, not at you - its not intended to be nasty I'm quite sure. It's more enjoyable just to blush and join in the fun you may find. [smile]

Archived