Gibson Brands Forums

1965 or 1968 blonde Melody Maker(?)

g1bs0nf4n

I am hoping to get help with identifying this guitar. A tech told me it is a 1970s-era Melody Maker, but it doesn't look quite like any of the pictures of melody makers I've been able to find, 1960s or 1970s. I purchased it used in 2002 in a mall guitar store in Los Angeles.

It is heavy, maple (I think) solid body with a maple neck. It is really a wonderful guitar to play. The only identifying info on it is the name Gibson on the front top of the headstock. The tech said he thinks it's all original equipment except for the tuning pegs.

Guitar Dater lists it this way:

Kalamazoo Plant, MI, USA

in 1965 or 1968

Production Number: 511854

I've attached pictures of the front and the back of the headstock where the serial number is visible

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

post-83096-008370200 1482180851_thumb.jpg

post-83096-002773400 1482180860_thumb.jpg

post-83096-085742600 1482180868_thumb.jpg

It's an L-6S of some variety. The era of the model, as associated with the 5XX,XXX serial number, puts it around '74/75.

There were two models of the this guitar, the "L6-S" and the "L6-S Deluxe". The guitar pictured had traits of both, AND has traits of neither.

This was a med/high level Gibson solid body of it's day, far above the level of the "student model" Melody Maker.

It's an L-6S of some variety. The era of the model, as associated with the 5XX,XXX serial number, puts it around '74/75.

There were two models of the this guitar, the "L6-S" and the "L6-S Deluxe". The guitar pictured had traits of both, AND has traits of neither.

This was a med/high level Gibson solid body of it's day, far above the level of the "student model" Melody Maker.

finally! I've been trying to figure out what guitar this is for over a decade. and just as you say, pictures of the L-6S model do look like it (though I guess I'm lucky to have an all-blond model). Thank you so much!

with that bit of help (thank you again)! i think I've found something awfully close: the L6-S Midnight Special. This posting provides the following description, though I'm not sure where they got it from:

Designed in collaboration with Bill Lawrence, the L-6S had a bolt-on neck, maple body, with two humbuckers. The midnight Special version has a string through design, maple neck/fingerboard with the original Schaller bridge. These were made quite differently from the normal Gibson solid bodies. Played by Carlos Santana, Keith Richards, and Al Di Meola.

https://reverb.com/item/887522-gibson-l6-s-midnight-special

Archived