Hi guys

Little help please

Which models were produced in 1994 bearing the 100th Anniversary "badge"

I have a j200-12 and have just pulled the trigger on a J200 six string

I know there was a HB

But what else please

Thanks

John

Here's a link to the Limited Guitar of the Month from 1994 mentioned earlier. They all have the sticker stating #xxx of 100.

They also did a series in their electrics that have some nice ones in it.

I have the February and March series. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a couple of the others like April, November and December.

http://web.archive.org/web/20040816132319/http://www.gibson.com/acoustics/1994/index.html

I know there was a HB

But what else please

Thanks

John

Hello John- good of you to check in. Four 12 string guitars? Planning on waging war upon a Marshall stack? . One twelver is too much for me to handle; string-to-wood sound ratio n' all ; ). Congrats on the incoming J-200; feel free to share a pic when it's home.

Yes, that "1963 Hummingbird" done in maple for the guitar of the month does sound like an interesting combination.

. . . the J-100 Xtra. . . They should of made it a short scale or a 12 fret.

. . . Or a short-scale 12-fret. Hmmm. . .

Here's a link to the Limited Guitar of the Month from 1994 mentioned earlier. They all have the sticker stating #xxx of 100.

They also did a series in their electrics that have some nice ones in it.

I have the February and March series. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a couple of the others like April, November and December.

http://web.archive.org/web/20040816132319/http://www.gibson.com/acoustics/1994/index.html

Good job with the link, Dave. Do you find the elevated pickguard on the "1934 Jumbo" to add too much clatter when playing? I believe you had previously posted this appetizing photo of the Centennial Collection some time back (a.k.a. "How to Photograph 12 Guitars"):

Screen%20Shot%202016-12-20%20at%209.06.32%20PM_zpscdc8puhs.png

Nice of Reverb to keep that sold listing up; it has an excellent slide show of all of the '94 Guitar of the Month models: Link

I got rid of the rose. Just wasnt a guitar for me.

Played one once, the first J200 I ever touched. It was beautiful, but it sounded so awful that I was grateful I was poor and just windowshopping.

A few years later, I found my 2000 j100xtra--that was the big mellow maple sound I was after.

But I never expected the Rose to sound so crappy.

Played one once, the first J200 I ever touched. It was beautiful, but it sounded so awful that I was grateful I was poor and just windowshopping.

A few years later, I found my 2000 j100xtra--that was the big mellow maple sound I was after.

But I never expected the Rose to sound so crappy.

ya.. Not all that are the same sound the same for some reason.. Hows the maple j100? does it have the J200 tone? never had a maple one.. thats why Im asking..

Hi guys

Little help please

Which models were produced in 1994 bearing the 100th Anniversary "badge"

I know there was a HB

But what else please

Thanks

John

Sir Johnt: I had 3 93-94 Bozeman made Excellnte reissues-Great quality,great looking and sounding guitars=only 23 made -Moose

I owned an October "1951 J-185" Centennial model -- pretty nice guitar, but a little "meh" on the sound.....sold it after not too long.

Prior to that, had a November Centennial "1963 Hummingbird" model, in maple; it was even more 'meh'. In fact of all the Hummingbirds I've owned (1985, 1996, 2001, 2004, and that 1994), it was hands-down the worst sounding of the whole bunch.

I can't say that I've heard rave reviews about the other Centennial Models either.

Fred

Hows the maple j100? does it have the J200 tone? never had a maple one.. thats why Im asking..

Like Anne, I also have a maple J-100xtra made in 2000. It's got the strong deep rumble of a good Gibson or Guild jumbo, with plenty of high end shimmer - just a wonderful guitar, and I prefer the understated look.

At the time of purchase, I also had a very nice sounding mahogany bodied '96 J-100xtra, and later added a maple J-150 made in '01. They all had an appealing sound, but the only one that remains with me today is the maple J-100xtra because it's got that little something, umm, xtra.

Over the years, I've played plenty of Gibson jumbos that were duds, no matter the model or specs, and others that seemed like they came from another planet, as they were superior by light years. It all adds to the joy of finding the good ones.

I agree about the j100 extra. Not a good guitar. To bad the newer ones take the rap as well. They should of made it a short scale or a 12 fret.

I have the opposite experience. My 94 J100 xtra is the only Gibson acoustic I have kept! Mine sounds like a good J45 but bigger all round, and a little looser with the long scale, plus it is loud. I love it.

Maybe I got lucky, but I'd take a J100 over a J200 most days. In fact I think all the J150's I have tried, have been better than the 200's too.

Steve.

After going through a couple duds I sent one back to the factory. They educated me on over humidified guitars. Besides the movement, it makes them sound like they're full of socks. In the past couple years I've bought two used guitars in particular that were dud's but at a very good price. I put both of them in their cases and loaded them up with Humidpaks for about 18 months, occasionally checking them and replacing the packs. They both came out of the cases winners. It's amazing how they now sound. This has taught me a lesson and gives me a bargaining tool when buying such guitars and knowing what they can be. The Centennial 34 Jumbo was one of these guitars.

Archived