Gibson Brands Forums

Montana J 45

Martin 1940D28

Hi folks, Twenty years ago today, I bought my first Montana built Gibson, a J 45, according to the serial number, built on the 327th day of December, 1996. My local dealer with whom I'd been dealing with since my teen years had just gotten it in. One of the most gorgeous Sunbursts I'd seen at the time and couldn't pass it up. After 20 years with much play time under its belt it is still imho quite pristine in condition other than a bit of crazing on the body and some finish wear on the back of the neck. Comparing it to my '42 SJ, '44 J45 and '49 SJ, the tone is quite a bit different from the older ones with not much lack of volume in comparison. After this amount of time comparing and studying these guys, my belief is that the '96 model, as far as I can tell, has a tighter geometry or X brace angle of about 98 degrees as compared to the earlier models X brace angle of about 102 degrees. My research has found the 98 degree geometry is what the Martin guitars used, although I don't know why Gibson chose this geometry at the time. This J45 sounds nothing like a Martin or early Gibson, but has a sound unto its own. Heavenly and Pleasant, Period. Thanks for reading. Merry Christmas to all.

Yep, photos of all please!

Also, it would be hear to hear what your thoughts would be if you walked in a guitar shop today, next week, and played the brand new J45 range including the Standard, True Vintage, 2016 Vintage with torrefied top!

It could be a dangerous thing to do though.

BluesKing777.

Was playing my 2011 J-45 TV for a lot of yesterday. Boy, does it have a different sound and feel to my other gits. Yet I don't think I'll be in the market for any more guitars soon, Gibson or otherwise. While I love 'em, the talent is sadly lacking and I really cannot do justice to the ones I already own (17 at last memory count but my memory could be wrong.)

Archived