Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bluezguy

Heaviest Strings on Masterbilt Dreadnaught?

I have a 10 year old full size dreadnaught - DR500-RNS.

It is an absolutely terrific playing and sounding instrument but, with one flaw ... it is not as loud as I think she should be.

My question is to you; has anyone strung .013s - .056s on your solid wood top Masterbilt with no incident?

I'm concerned about pulling up the bridge AND, wasting $6 - $12 bucks on a set of strings.

Merry Christmas and Thanks.

I have a 10 year old full size dreadnaught - DR500-RNS.

It is an absolutely terrific playing and sounding instrument but, with one flaw ... it is not as loud as I think she should be.

My question is to you; has anyone strung .013s - .056s on your solid wood top Masterbilt with no incident?

I'm concerned about pulling up the bridge AND, wasting $6 - $12 bucks on a set of strings.

Merry Christmas and Thanks.

No problems whatsoever with Medium Gauge strings (.013). It could just be that the slots in your guitar's nut aren't wide enough at first, but that will fix itself once you have strung her up and keep on tuning.

You should be OK with mediums (although it never hurts to keep an eye open for changes in the instrument). Try a set and see if you get a louder response - if not, you're not exactly out a lot of $....

Thanks Guys

According to Gibson Support, it is not a problem ... just don't leave the strings at A440 tension for any long periods of time like days and weeks and months of storage. I don't play in A440 anyway, as my singing voice needs me tuned down a whole step which makes the medium 13's a perfect match.

Thanks for reading and taking the time to respond!

Merry Christmas to ALL!

....I don't play in A440 anyway, as my singing voice needs me tuned down a whole step which makes the medium 13's a perfect match....

Well, there you go! That should indeed be perfect!