Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
moosesyr

Anybody swapped the Swingster pickups?

I own an Orange Swingster and really like it. Beautiful, easy to play and sounds pretty good. The pups are ok but I'm sure could sound better with an upgrade. Looking for A little more clarity and presence. Anyone swap them out and if so what'd you think?

soooo... what kind of amp you using.... those swingbuckers are pretty bad ***... I'd never pull them... jmo....

Also, what kind of sound are you looking for, that swingster has a huge range of tone..

Also, what kind of sound are you looking for, that swingster has a huge range of tone..

The reason I ask is I have 2 amps, a little 8" VOX tube, and a Westbury 550 twin x 12". Way different sound between the 2. Better the amp, better (and different)the sound... the little vox is ok and has some crunch when turned all the way up. The 550 has more depth.... you might need to try it with another amp to find what your looking for...

I've played it through several amps, a ProRevwerb, a Princeton clone. I'm ok with the stock pups, I was just ,curious if anyone tried anything else. Not really looking for a particular sound. I generally play full he mode.

have you (assuming you have) tried to do some simple adjustments of the pickups?

Out of my little bevy of epiphones, I find the Swingster (I have a White Royale) has some of the more pleasing tones, as is with the stock pickups. They're also pretty good at resisting feedback, so you can crank em a bit more than what you'd come to expect from a hollow body.

What would you supposed you'd opt for? Maybe some Gretch Pickups? or would you go the other way with some PAFs?

The one slag I have heard on the swingsters, is while they have that "Gretch" vibe visually, they tend to lean to "Gibson" tonally.