Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
splake

Hoarding and our King

And the rich get richer.

Many of us wonder why, you will never play or own a vintage classic L.P. or early Martin Well, gear hoarders like this, Vince Gill, Richard Gere, etc etc.

Simple supply and demand. The supply is limited when a guy has Hundred or so vintage L.P.s or yet another millionaire picker has a warehouse full of old martins or Gibsons, sitting there in the dark as he uses his influence and contacts to scour the world for another and another, and another and then somewhere in Berlin or East Jesus Arkansas there is another one, and another after that, and a poor widow in Georgia who has her husbands tucked under the bed, but she has to pay the bills, The king shares a secret or two with us as the glory of his collection hurts the naked eye. For the king knows that we are every bit of a threat to his kingdom as a gnat is to a grizzled timber wolf. he gloats and dismisses Ebay and reverb, Poor man auction houses are for suckers...Scurry on like ants, away. But Don't worry minions, you are safe there, I wont come and steal a guitar from you there, he laughs and all his court laughs and grunts with him. He speaks of talking loud when he finds a guitar so he can turn a spouse against her husband so he can get the treasure, cheaper, cheaper, cheaper. The minions should know, , that they don't stand a chance.. In a land far , far away, every so often, when this does happen, and the powerful almighty king is most gracious enough to let the poor townsfolk minions take a quick peek behind the curtain, into the inner sanctum of the castle, into the piles and piles of riches he has accrued. There is no embarrassment of riches here. Quite the contrary, He sits back with his double chin, on his Italian leather sofa, and gloats over his latest find, as the sweat from his giant brow and the drool from his pouty lips slowly turns the gold top l.p. green, and his beautiful wife, serves him tea and crumpet. The minions marvel at what they could never have. The gold tops glisten under the soft light from imported light fixtures, Stacks of guitar cases that cold blacken out a noon day sun border a path through the large vibrant room, Vintage Fender and Vox amps are stacked like chord wood , Rare neon signs, adorn every wall, In the background there is a priceless hand carved walnut curio full of vintage pedals and Hand tooled leather straps, And the king gloats, shows off his majesty and plays a few quick pentatonic blues licks for the needy's amusement . He somehow feels it is important to show to world what he has. Like an dictator that marches his thousands of goose stepping soldiers, lines of tanks and jeeps, and interbalistic missiles through the street, that is lined with peasants, that ache at the sight of it all and only dream for a small cup full of gruel. Only if, they could touch the lapel on his majestys blazer, only if, could they play as fast as him? Could they play with as much feel as him. Only if.. OnlyIf. Now its Time to go , For his majesty has show you all enough. the quick look is over, his majesty is so bored with you all. the iron gate closes behind them, . Then, the masses begin to disperse like fleas on a stray dog. Then, a loud bang, a crash, the doors open again, the alligators in the moat frighten and submerge, Four muscular White steeds rear up on their hind legs and whisk a shiny large black carriage over the cobble stone draw bridge. The king is off on yet another quest, he has hear rumors from his court jester that there is another 1960 gold top that belongs to a elderly lady who really may not know what it is worth, and may really have to sell. it for substinence. The king tosses a half smoked cuban cigar out of his speeding coach window as the feet of, the old/young peasant The peasant picks up the butt and takes a toke, He then pulls the tattered collar up on his wool coat and turns away into the cold december wind. A song begins to play in the town at the bottom of the hill. The young/old man smiles because his $100 Yamaha acoustic is waiting for him, next to his old rocking chair and stone fireplace, the man smiles and laughs as all the townspeople do. They all laugh quietly at the king, and feel as if they just left a prison, not a luxurious castle. The peasant desends down into the valley towards home, and thinks to himself, how lucky he is not to be the king. For shackles come in many forms, and he walks away free, like a bird, while it is the king who's heart is racing this winter morn .It is the king who is hungry and starving in a different, more tragic way then the townspeople. It is the king who searches the earth ignorant to the fact that no matter how many vintage, priceless guitars the king and his court beg, borrow , steal and toss in the empty void inside of the king it can never and will never be filled. The the young/old peasant looks up and the rising sun, More gold than any gold top could ever be, the singing birds, prettier than any Add9 chord he has ever heard, and he is happy, free, content and at peace. And that, is the greatest treasure of all.

Long live the King, and let them Eat Cake

I am a hypocrite, Like I said in a previous post, if I had the coin, I would probably hoard with the best of them, I would like to think I wouldn't but I probably would fall into the same trap.

I think what bothers me are the you tube videos of these "collectors" ( if that is what we call them,) It isnt so much that they have them all, it is many times they feel they have to show us all their wares, to people who can never afford them., and would love to have just one. I mean play them, you are a professional magician and more gifted than I could dream about, but do I need to see inside your Bunker that holds 900 rare guitars?.

I'm safe, I never really wanted a vintage guitar and always felt 50's Les Paul's were overpriced and overhyped (ok I've never played one, but hundreds of thousands for a guitar?). I mean, even if I was rich I wouldn't buy one, but then people here in the UK have been paying thousands for rare new £5 notes lately which seems totally bonkers to me [confused]

I read somewhere that not all 'bursts are that great anyway - just look at the way they applied the silkscreen Les Paul logo in no consistent manner and with no care to detail! Obviously most of them were amazing guitars, but no more amazing than L5's, 175's, SG's and so on, all of which you can get a fraction of the price on the vintage market.

I can't say any of it has ever bothered me. If youre upset by watching people show off their guitar collections on YouTube maybe it would be best to not watch them.

One thing I have noticed lately is that we, as a culture, spend a large amount of time obsessing over the sin of greed but pay no attention at all to our own sins of lust and envy.

I don't feel bad when I see a guy like Vince Gill on Joe Bonamessa have these mega collections..........

I Figure they are being professionally cared for and preserved............I know I can't afford them, so it eases my mind to know they are being preserved.

I'd rather have one of those guys own it than think of it baking in an attic or rotting in a basement somewhere.

Just my two cents.

NHTom

I'd rather have one of those guys own it than think of it baking in an attic or rotting in a basement somewhere.

[thumbup] This. A nice guitar in a glass case is a waste. A bunch of nice guitars getting played by guys with deep pockets and deep talent... don't see where the problem is.

As I age lust isn't what it used to be.

Now, sloth, that's a different matter!

I've been buddies with a fellow for decades and he's a hoarder: motorcycles, cars, guitars, stereo stuff, you name it.

It's kind of sad to see as it's a mental aberration and the thrill is the pursuit of the item and then it's onto the next one and the latest acquisition is forgotten.

There is never a point where the hoarders say I have enough and I'm not sure that the huge pile of crap brings them much, if any, enjoyment.

There's a fine line between collecting and having a screw loose!

Each to their own but one Les Paul Studio is sufficient to fulfill my Les Paul lust.

Meh, the new CS versions, are often as good, if not better (more consistent), and ("affordable" compared to the "real" ones).

So, let those who have more money, than sense, do their thing! Means nothing, to me, at all! Maybe, they didn't have enough

"toys," as children, and are trying to make up for that? Or, it could just be the old saying: "He who dies, with the most

toys, wins!" ??? Who know, or cares?! [tongue]:rolleyes:[biggrin]

Bah Humbug, and Merry Christmas, everyone! [thumbup]

CB

[laugh] Steve that's priceless. If you made that up yourself please copywrite it and start printing the t-shits and stickers (you'll do well)!!

i was never into vintage stuff. i'm like a magpie. i want things shiny and new. i like new tech when it's beneficial and well thought out.

when i was ridin, some of my buddies owned vintage bikes. they knew all the neat stories behind them. some folks like vintage guitars but they don't really do anything for me either. i mean, if others like it i see nothing wrong with it. it just isn't my thing is all.

I can confirm this, dammit. Sad and true.....

The closest I have come to vintage was back in the 80s when I had my black 69 lp custom.

Paid 300 for it with a crappy amp.

The better I got the more i loved that guitar.

I loved the old style frets. I loved the feel.

It got stolen. I replaced it with a Hamer that to me, felt as close as i could get, that was available off the shelf.

Quit playing for almost 20 years. Fast forward to 5,6 years ago I get back into guitar.

Thought I might get another old custom.

Not!

Had no idea what happened to the market. Had no idea frets got all huge. Had no idea I couldn't buy an old crappy guitar.

So ya I was pi$$ed, more shocked than pi$$ed but whatever.

So now to go buy an old crappy guitar I have to pay thousands???

Not gonna happen.

So I'm not pi$$ed at the clowns who can afford them, I'm pi$$ed at the ridiculous market that ensued.

And I absolutely refuse to pay thousands for a reissue of a crappy old guitar I had when I was 20.

There are plenty of decent playing guitars out there.

I will just never be able to buy an old one.

I'm ok with it.

Yeah, we've all got our deal. Which sits pretty well with me most often. Prefer most of my stuff to be vintage - probably 'cause I, too, am a relic. Can't afford either one these days😄

Yeah, we've all got our deal. Which sits pretty well with me most often. Prefer most of my stuff to be vintage - probably 'cause I, too, am a relic. Can't afford either one these days😄

Yeah, most of my guitars are already "Vintage," because I've had them for 30-55 years...already! [scared] Wow, that's truly hard to

believe! Where DID the time go?! [unsure][tongue]

CB

Yeah, most of my guitars are already "Vintage," because I've had them for 30-55 years...already! [scared] Wow, that's truly hard to

believe! Where DID the time go?! [unsure][tongue]

CB

Here's to longevity! I've had my Epi Cortez for 55 years - my first ever pawn shop find....

Here's to longevity! I've had my Epi Cortez for 55 years - my first ever pawn shop find....

My oldest guitar, is a '54 Gibson J-160E. First year they were made, and the only year they

had a solid (not laminated) top!

DSC_0001-1.jpg

CB