Gibson Brands Forums

1993 J-200 What do you think?

hojo199

Mixed opinions on the early 90's Gibson's. I have a couple, had a few others and I think they are great guitars. The biggest knock I've heard construction wise was the neck joints on the early models but I think that was resolved by 93.

The things I would watch on your EBay listing -

No returns accepted - That's a no-no for me. If your serious, better ask your questions up front and get your answers or you cannot go back on them. Nail him down on the action/string height. You won't be happy if it needs a neck reset. There's too many J200's in this price range to gamble on the unknown in my opinion. Last year I sold a perfect one for this price on my local CL.

He is accepting best offers so you should get it for a little less.

Good Luck!

Mixed opinions on the early 90's Gibson's. I have a couple, had a few others and I think they are great guitars. The biggest knock I've heard construction wise was the neck joints on the early models but I think that was resolved by 93.

The things I would watch on your EBay listing -

No returns accepted - That's a no-no for me. If your serious, better ask your questions up front and get your answers or you cannot go back on them. Nail him down on the action/string height. You won't be happy if it needs a neck reset. There's too many J200's in this price range to gamble on the unknown in my opinion. Last year I sold a perfect one for this price on my local CL.

He is accepting best offers so you should get it for a little less.

Good Luck!

Yeah -- here's another with even less information. The pictures are wanting and the guy has had it listed for a long time. I agree with questions needing to be answered in full....

https://reverb.com/item/2038908-gibson-j200-1993-sunburst

I kind of prefer the blonde too. Kind of makes a big guitar look bigger to me. In all likelihood, this is a good deal on a sweet instrument......My only hang-up with EBAY is the return policy and/or lack of one. Of course, if you're dealing with someone who has a very reputable rating, you're probably in good shape.

I would be inclined to do the Blonde myself.

If wishes were horses, Slim.

Another vote here for the flamey blonde. Is it me, or do these '200's really seem to hold their value better than other G guitars in the acoustic line? Also keep in mind; these days, eBay has really adopted a policy of standing behind the buyer, that many sellers have gone over to Reverb, where the lower transaction fee is a big plus.

If misrepresented, you would still have recourse thru eBay and esp. if PayPal is used, and/or credit card to further increase your backup.

If wishes were horses, Slim.

Another vote here for the flamey blonde. Is it me, or do these '200's really seem to hold their value better than other G guitars in the acoustic line? Also keep in mind; these days, eBay has really adopted a policy of standing behind the buyer, that many sellers have gone over to Reverb, where the lower transaction fee is a big plus.

If misrepresented, you would still have recourse thru eBay and esp. if PayPal is used, and/or credit card to further increase your backup.

Well.. Im not sure about holding there value, Im sure it would considering what there prices for new are today.... But you cant go wrong buying one at 25 or best offer with the nice maple on the back.... but at 35 for the one on reverb.. seems like you would own it for a while if it wasnt up to standards.. paypal in a safe haven for sure though..

If I didnt have my fair share, I would be all of it..

Archived