Gibson Brands Forums

Singer George Michael dies at 53

Rabs

Ohh man... what is going on..... R.I.P George

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38432862

The star, who launched his career with Wham in the 1980s and later continued his success as a solo performer, is said to have "passed away peacefully at home".

Thames Valley Police said South Central Ambulance Service attended a property in Goring in Oxfordshire at 13:42 GMT.

Police say there were no suspicious circumstances.

I hate like hell to suggest this, but maybe they're being spared what looks to me like some hard times coming down for the rest of us. Seems like when I try to put a positive spin on something, it just comes off cynical. Advance apologies to anyone put off by my observation. Let's just hunker down and play our music😔

There's certainly been some huge names in the industry pass this year, and sad and deep personal losses to members here, and of course poor Don (Flyingfrets) from among our own number.

2015 though was a shocker even moreso for me as far as key influences and just plain guys I loved the music of - Lemmy and Philthy, Andy Frazer, Scott Weiland, and BB King high among them... [crying]

No doubt it will continue as the circle turns.

Seize the day.

I hate like hell to suggest this, but maybe they're being spared what looks to me like some hard times coming down for the rest of us. ...

Let's just hunker down and play our music😔

Sadly I have to agree. Still hoping the world may become a better one, I'm aware there are a handful of super-rich folks who don't care for billions of human lives.

OC, Scales: agreed.

Rct: I almost hope it WAS dope. Beats dying from pneumonia, which he almost did in 2011. Cue speculation.

Either way... Sad. Can't say I was a fan, but the 2016 curse (starting with Lemmy Kilmister in December 2015, someone whose music has been a constant in my life ALL my life, whose gigs were awesome and... You get it) is getting out of hand.

The BBC had a run down of those that have died this year.

It was like a who's who. Prince, Bowie, Cohen, Emerson/Lake, Lemmy, Johnny Winter....the list goes on.

I'm 58 and can't remember so many going in one year. That Grim Reaper needs a good punch.

As a Brit. I've begun to wonder with our Queen. Something is going on and we're not being told.

you can't really act surprised.

people die when they get old(ish)

lifestyle choices often exhibited by musicians is a serious contributing factor (keif and ozzy excepted here)

you're gonna start seeing them drop like flies before too long, and so will many of us right here on these forums.

everything with a beginning must also have an end. life is no exception.

although i wan't a fan of george michael, i tip my hat to him just the same, and hope he was as happy while living as any of us can be

Isn't it funny though, how it never is what it's most likely to be? I mean, who would've thought Lemmy would die from a cancer that originated in his PROSTATE?

I saw someone post the autopsy protocol. Didn't click on it, but I'm sure his liver was fine, just like it always was when he went to the doctor for tour insurance stuff.

For the 60+ guys on here, btw: there's a pxss test nowadays. You pee in a cup once a year, and that's prostate cancer screening in the 21st century. You'd be a fool not to.

When I turn 60, I'll be there with CRATES.

As for Keef, even though Kuma raises all kinds of good points:

It'll be interesting to see for how long he can keep it up. We romantisize him, just like we did Lemmy. I mean, for their accomplishments - sure.

But take Keef. If you smoke like a chimney for 60 years, tax your system for decades and now "only" drinks (like a fiend): his risk of developing a cancer that will snuff him out is ENORMOUSLY higher than if he'd been a sober non-smoker.

It'll be interesting to see how the old he gets. I read his autobio tho, and I genuinely hope he gets fxxkin' ancient. It was a very good read, and he seems like... Well, who DOESN'T love Keith? But him and Slash are the two guys that spring to mind when I think "heroin addicts whose love of playing proved stronger than their heroin addiction".

It's so very, very rare.

1482761985[/url]' post='1822091']

you can't really act surprised.

people die when they get old(ish)

lifestyle choices often exhibited by musicians is a serious contributing factor (keif and ozzy excepted here)

you're gonna start seeing them drop like flies before too long, and so will many of us right here on these forums.

everything with a beginning must also have an end. life is no exception.

although i wan't a fan of george michael, i tip my hat to him just the same, and hope he was as happy while living as any of us can be

msp_thumbup.gif My wife and I were just talking about this today. Recounting how many musicians and celebrities that died this year. Then to add to the death toll, my uncle just passed away the day before Christmas Eve. He served his life's Career in the Air Force. Had a heart attack in his sleep. He will be missed and I will always have fond memories of him and I together.

Sad to hear of George Michael's passing.....

A colourful and occasionally controversial figure.....[thumbup]

Hugely talented, creative and hard working

Made life more interesting for millions of fans

News emerging of acts of generosity without courting publicity....[thumbup]

One of the great voices in popular music....[thumbup]

Many thanks George...!!

Mr and Mrs V

:-({|=

PS....shedding a tear....

All the reports on the news, from his boyfriend are saying it was his use of Heroin that caused his death and his heart attack is typically how a lot of Heroin users die.

I'm sorry to hear that he's died and I don't want to sound harsh but I don't have a great deal of sympathy for people who use that sh!t, they know what their getting into.

Having spent quite a lot of my Add professional life trying to warn kids of the dangers of drugs, I find it horrendous that people like George set such a bad example.

Ian

Isn't it funny though, how it never is what it's most likely to be? I mean, who would've thought Lemmy would die from a cancer that originated in his PROSTATE?

I saw someone post the autopsy protocol. Didn't click on it, but I'm sure his liver was fine, just like it always was when he went to the doctor for tour insurance stuff.

For the 60+ guys on here, btw: there's a pxss test nowadays. You pee in a cup once a year, and that's prostate cancer screening in the 21st century. You'd be a fool not to.

The PSA test is an indicator (maybe) of something going on with the prostate but is by no means a certain test at all.

All men approaching or passing 60 should have these regularly IMHO.

1482765459[/url]' post='1822105']

Hmmm, I have an enlarged prostate, I go in once a year for medicine refills but he never has me go in a cup, never checks me, I just answer about a hundred questions and he calls in another years pills.

Archived