Gibson Brands Forums

I don't care for two piece necks

AnPeter90

I don't know why, it just bugs me, the joint in the base of the neck where the two pieces meet, the obvious different grains..... Is it just me? I have a couple of guitars that have it, and one of them I play everyday. I just don't look at the neck heel.

I think 2 peice and multipiece necks look great, and have strength advantages.

Lowden, Ovation, Gibson, Olson, and many others use them.

However, I dont like them on models that have no historical precedence for them.

A J-45 with a J-15 neck?.....No. J-15 looks great though!

I don't know why, it just bugs me, the joint in the base of the neck where the two pieces meet, the obvious different grains..... Is it just me? I have a couple of guitars that have it, and one of them I play everyday. I just don't look at the neck heel.

Barry, glad to have you over here! They visually bother me too. But the look is covered by the added strength the multiple layers create. [rolleyes]

Can someone please explain why the neck of the J-15 is considered a two-piece neck, rather than a three-piece neck? I have enough fingers to count to five, and I come out with three every time I look at the neck, if I don't count the headstock wings as two more.

There are plenty of guitars, including Gibsons, with multi-piece necks. What about the little "wings" glued onto sides of most Gibson headstocks? Does that make those necks "multi-piece" too? If it bothers you esthetically, buy something else. Sheesh!

We're getting dangerously close to pickguard placement "discussions" with this one, except if you don't like your pickguard placement, you can change it.

We all have different hot button issues, which is fine.

My biggest is Richlite fretboards & bridges (& Micarta before it). I've heard all the pros, but just can't get passed them.

Scarfed neck joints are another no-no for me in general, but not an automatic deal-breaker like Richlite.

But lengthwise multi-layered maple or mahogany necks are just dandy, with or without rosewood/walnut strips.

Oh, don't care for square-shouldered dreads much either!

Can someone please explain why the neck of the J-15 is considered a two-piece neck, rather than a three-piece neck? I have enough fingers to count to five, and I come out with three every time I look at the neck, if I don't count the headstock wings as two more.

There are plenty of guitars, including Gibsons, with multi-piece necks. What about the little "wings" glued onto sides of most Gibson headstocks? Does that make those necks "multi-piece" too? If it bothers you esthetically, buy something else. Sheesh!

We're getting dangerously close to pickguard placement "discussions" with this one, except if you don't like your pickguard placement, you can change it.

Yep...J-15 must be 3 peice

I don't care for the scarfing, but multiple pieces done tastefully are fine with me.

This scarfing is a Taylor 814E. You would think they could match the colors better

B62973D0-0ECE-481C-A741-EDA640D572D7_zpsgar44vs3.jpg

465A4E72-E29E-471B-89FC-3E1C88736D6E_zpsfwznqy96.jpg

Both of my J200's have what I call a two piece neck. I do not count the wings or center strip.

743DB334-D0B5-43B7-8422-785E282BE089_zpssc2a3gwb.jpg

Here's a Custom L00 with a three piece

2B72CD15-2C26-4569-B45B-14FBD8E741B8_zpsre8fcyld.jpg

This L5 is similar to the J200's

244A2259-AF2F-4407-9F49-5FB4268D5E5B_zpsqybt3jdh.jpg

This Martin has more that I can count, but I like the way it looks.

8DF53F87-CB5F-40D0-A7C5-F011C0D346B5_zpsxsr8nbp0.jpg

Oak is for firewood.

Oak is also for furniture, millwork, and some boatbuilding applications.

But it does make good firewood, once it's aged for a million years. I've got a cord of firewood from a live oak tree cut down five years ago. It's the toughest stuff to split I've ever seen, but it burns real nice. If only it would ever get cold enough to have a fire again here in Florida.

Oak is also for furniture, millwork, and some boatbuilding applications.

But it does make good firewood, once it's aged for a million years. I've got a cord of firewood from a live oak tree cut down five years ago. It's the toughest stuff to split I've ever seen, but it burns real nice. If only it would ever get cold enough to have a fire again here in Florida.

we will try to send snow your way... :)

Btw ... best firewood ever are stellas, harmonys, and sears guitars.. with no paint.. the painted ones stink to much..

Btw ... best firewood ever are stellas, harmonys, and sears guitars.. with no paint.. the painted ones stink to much..

You're going to hurt zombywoof's feelings with that one, since he rescues all types of unloved guitars, even the above-mentioned which shall not be named.

i don't like stacked heels and peg heads that looked like they were tacked on. Three piece necks where the woods all run up through the middle of neck are fine. Richlite, micarta and other plastics don't belong on my guitars. Other's that is just fine. The many pieces in a neck and and sound are the two reasons I am not crazy about Taylor guitars.

Welcome in to AnPeter. A rather polite way to express your dissatisfaction in that particular guitar construction method in your thread title. Is the guitar a Gibson? A photo would be could spur more discussion.

This Martin has more that I can count, but I like the way it looks.

8DF53F87-CB5F-40D0-A7C5-F011C0D346B5_zpsxsr8nbp0.jpg

Dave- what the ? Wouldn't it have been easier just to carve that neck out of granite? ; ).

Could you share any details? An incredible number of laminations. Pete Townshend would have more than he bargained for on that one.

Archived