Gibson Brands Forums

Addiction, Obsession, or Wholesome Pasttime?

RudyH

Watch Steve Martin's 'The Jerk'.... in the movie Steve figures out what his special purpose is... you need to find out what your special purpose is...

Of coarse if you are under 18 disregard all of the above advice and eat your vegetables.

Let's see. It's the main thought in my mind for most of the day. I treat my guitar better than some people. I get irritable if I don't play for a day and get a rush of relief when I do get to play. so I guess that makes it a wholesome pasttime.

I'm addicted.

I can't "just play a little". Once I start, I can't quit until I am jamming. I can't just "play one song". When I am done, I have a buzz. My fingers and hands are tingling. I can't quit smiling.

I'm addicted.

Hell yeah!

I'm addicted. I'm also blessed to have made many, many, thousands of dollars doing it.

I play a lot of the J45RW at home. The Boogie lives in the road case at home, just plays bars, and the Prosonic gets the house amp detail. My daughter uses the Champ with her new Lester.

Music is good for you.

Murph.

i really have a problem then because ill take out the tele just to play or practice because its easiest to get at and then i pull out the les pauls just to look at them and play them and look at them some more . its kind of pathetic.......but i love the look of the guitars so much. one day ill have a nice GO 1960 vos or a 58 reissue and ill never have time to type or play them because ill be putting them in a row and staring at them and all stupid stuff ... im sure im not the only one out there.......

I need about an hour a night of playing my guitar to help turn my brain off. It's tough being a professional geek. I used to be able to handle getting up at 3:00AM deriving equations and what not, but I can't do it anymore. Playing helps ease my brain and I sleep much better when I have that hour away from thinking too much. So for me, it's therapy...

Come on this is a forum for people who think and talk about guitars with total strangers when there not actually playing a guitar or shopping for a guitar or when we totally stop thinking about guitars for a few minutes a day (thats when I think about amps and accessories) anyone here who says they are not obsessed needs to be more honest with themselves.

The only poor souls that are in worse condition are the guys that come onto the forum looking for advice to help decide if they should buy a guitar! I mean talk about deluded come on I've been here for years I've never seen the answer be No unless were trying to convince somebody to but something else.

Now thats out of the way I have a line on a sweet 71 recording model what's everyone think should I buy it...

I'm addicted. I'm also blessed to have made many' date=' many, thousands of dollars doing it.

I play a lot of the J45RW at home. The Boogie lives in the road case at home, just plays bars, and the Prosonic gets the house amp detail. My daughter uses the Champ with her new Lester.

Music is good for you.

Murph.[/quote']

Wow Murph, I didn't know standing on street corners with your case open for Change was a gig.

well... in my case... All the above. I've owned many guitars in my life. but only 1 has made my woman jealous!! (that's the barometer I think)

When I brought my Les Paul home, and played her until bedtime... then brought her into the bedroom with us, and set her in a stand next to the bed... then woke up and played her some more... skipped breakfast, almost late to work... talked about her all day at work... came home and played some more... and its been that way every day since.

so yeh... I'm obsessed. but there are worse addictions when you think about it.

Well....

Guitar playing in the long run is likely less expensive than most addictive substances and - from a note I read on another forum, unless one is in England, one is less likely to be in trouble with the law.

I had a lady friend once - a girl my Dad had gone to school with - who played with a couple of famous symphonies who told me I was the lucky one because I simply played because I loved it and she had to play even when she'd almost rather not.

On the other hand, I have no talent in life except a willingness to work hard to learn stuff I wanna learn. My "little brother" who's only 58 sez "Milo, when you wanna do something, you obsess until you can do it." Okay. Whatta you think? I just pick my poisons.

Guitar playing soothes a lot of tension. When it's a good night after work, the fingers fly and I hit a Zen high and can do stuff far above my head; when it's not so good I sound like elevator music but get the head cleared without chemical intrusion other than straight orange juice. Either way, my head's far better for beddie bye.

When I was a kid, I played a lot with rock and country groups because I enjoyed the special ... something ... that comes on a night when everything's right. Now I do an occasional "benefit" as kinda a "senior music guy."

So... Yeah, it's probably an obsession. Probably cheaper than golf which I've never done. If it's an addiction I had a ... well, let's just say familial suggestion I quit playing for a quarter century and now I wonder how much more technique would be there had I not. It's a challenge like any developing skill.

On the other hand, a friend of mine who quit the road a few years ago and I were talking with a visiting fireman (okay, visiting fire-lady), and we were talking about music and stuff. He plays a half dozen instruments at a professional level and calls himself an "entertainer." I just hadda say I'm a guitar player.

By the way, RS1976, the "familial suggestion" that had me knock off for 25 years came partly, I think, for calling my then-main guitar "my sweetheart." :) (I keep that term for use with other guitar players nowadays.)

'Nuff said, I guess. If they want my guitars they can pry them from my cold, dead hands.

Archived