Gibson Brands Forums

2016 Hummingbird Vintage and Advanced Jumbo 12 fret (PIC)

Old Neil

Had fun at (one of) my local guitar shops with these two beauties today:

IMG_0242.jpg

Both had their own, unique tone signature and playability. The hummingbird Vintage was very open, clear and pretty sounding - none of the (sometimes) quiet, compressed sound new Hummingbirds can have. I compared it with a (good) standard model. As the sales attendant noted when I switched back to the Vintage: "It's like you turned the 'loudness' button on." - a fair description. And the brown, plush leather(ish) case with pink(!) lining looked stunning and was an extremely snug fit and colour complement with the deep vintage red of the 'bird.

The 12 fret AJ was wonderful too. Rich but with clear note separation and shorter, less complex sustain characteristics than my Martin HD-28V, making it perhaps more suitable to sing over. Sounded great when doing those Neil Young like muted bass with ringing trebles, arpeggios or rocking out a bit with strummed chords. Fantastic playability too. Very comfortable. In that regard it felt more like a 000/OM in the hands.

I have put them both on hold till Thursday when I will return with Martin for further comparison. One (or possibly both either now in the not so distant future) will probably be coming home with me. Wonderful guitars. Recommended.

You can cover a lot of ground with those two. Funny- the 12-fret AJ looks like the short scale guitar in that photo. I also have found the Advanced Jumbo in 12 fret form transfers more energy to the body of the guitar, and it’s lower bridge placement gives a little more warmth to help offset how they can at times sound less warm than a J-45. Punchier than the ‘Bird, which comes in soft & sweet.

Decisions, decisions, for you.

ps- do you know where your capo is?

62 Burst: Yes, the capo looks like it slipped a little, probably when I was holding both guitars by their necks to balance them against the couch for the photo. :-)

Both sound wonderful in alternate tunings and/or capo'd up the neck - not something that can always be said about short scale guitars.

62 Burst: Yes, the capo looks like it slipped a little, probably when I was holding both guitars by their necks to balance them against the couch for the photo. :-)

Cool, it made it home with you, then. Almost lost a tuner in a shop, once.

PS, Apparently the 12 fret AJ is still long scale. It plays like my short scale J-45 and feels, as I said, like a 000. Interesting.

Yes, still long scale AJ; just saying the 12 fret body join gives not only the comfort, but appearance of . . .

Archived