Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Wildkat. Warped neck. Worthless.

miamisam

Bought a new Wildkat 2 years ago. Gold trim, metalflake white, premium price.

The neck was straight. Not thrilled with the bridge going out of tune whenever I used the Bigsby, but I could live with that.

Humidity-controlled house. Never taken out for any show. Truss rod never overused. Light gauge strings.

Within 2 years, the neck is now warped beyond playability.

Cheap Chinese wood probably never dried properly before they used it.

I'm screwed.

Save your money. Don't buy a high-bridged glued-in-neck Chinese guitar. They don't last.

Bought a new Wildkat 2 years ago. Gold trim, metalflake white, premium price.

The neck was straight. Not thrilled with the bridge going out of tune whenever I used the Bigsby, but I could live with that.

Humidity-controlled house. Never taken out for any show. Truss rod never overused. Light gauge strings.

Within 2 years, the neck is now warped beyond playability.

Cheap Chinese wood probably never dried properly before they used it.

I'm screwed.

Save your money. Don't buy a high-bridged glued-in-neck Chinese guitar. They don't last.

something like that should be covered under your lifetime warranty if you bought it new. have you contacted customer service?

something like that should be covered under your lifetime warranty if you bought it new. have you contacted customer service?

This. I have more than a few Chinese made, glued in neck guitars (including a Wildkat) and have no issues at all. And no offense intended, but this neck warp didn't happen overnight, but you waited two years to vent?? [confused] I'd have called/contacted the mfgr long ago.

How is it warped? Which way? Forwards? Backwards? Twisted? Could it just need a truss rod adjustment? Pictures please.

The tuning problem is probably the nut. Put some graphite in the nut slots and it will probably stay in tune. I've had an aftermarket Bigsby on my 1966 Harmony Rocket for about 20 years now. It stays perfectly in tune.

How long ago did you first become aware of the warp developing? Fatal neck warping is NOT a common issue on Chinese or any other country's inexpensive or just plain cheap guitars, and does not happen overnight. The Epis and many others have reacted as normally as any other guitars I've played over many years. The occasional seasonal adjustments and even rarer fret dressing and trussrod tweaking.

You bought new, and what you're describing is a warranty issue, and I suspect a tech or luthier has never seen your guitar or been consulted.

Given THAT is his first post, here...he May be a "Chinese guitar" hater/Troll? Sounds kind of "fishy" to me. :rolleyes:

CB

I've been feeling a bit guilty for striking out at a newbie like I did, but after reading your post, CB, and seeing no response from the OP, I'm inclined to agree.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived