Gibson Brands Forums

What 3 rise to the top?

theflyingturtle

Imagine you are a working musician or a collector of guitars. You have space in your collection for three, and only three, Gibsons. What three models would you select? It could a selection that offers the most sonic ground or they could represent Gibson from a certain perspective. I would guess J-45 and an SJ-200 but I can't decide on a third. Perhaps a square shouldered dread?

Funny that you ask this question, because I'm asking myself the same.

I'm both a passionate musician and a collector, and what I decided to do is pick the most iconic accoustics that are still affordable (not too much bling) and at the same time fit to my playing style, so that I progress in my quest for becoming the best musician I can be.

Currently I have the J-45 and SJ-200 from Gibson.

From Martin Guitars, I own the D-28, D-18, OM-28, 000-28 and 000-18.

I also have a National Triolian Single Cone resonator guitar.

I don't care about the D-35, even though it became a real classic, since it wouldn't bring me too much additional benefit.

From Gibson, I would say the most iconic one after the J-45 and SJ-200 is the Hummingbird.

However, the L-1 and L-00 also are important models, so is the Dove.

If I were looking for the most bluesy tone I, I would pick an L-1 variation. Gotta love the 1928 blues tribute. Or an L-00 variation.

If blues were not my priority I would get a Hummingbird, but only if I find one that sounds different enough from my J-45, which according to some people is true.

But oh my. The advanced jumbos are also so nice, so is the stage deluxe model. But more iconic is the Hummingbird

Well I do only have three, and they're all J-50's. The 1974 was my first acoustic, I bought it new. It went through rough times and became unplayable, but five years ago I had it fixed and now it's fine. Gotta keep it just for the sentimental value. I don't play it much, but it's my Son in Law's favorite.

The 2008 satisfied my desire for a "new style" Gibson. Really liked it a lot for the first year, but eventually realized the neck is just too big to be comfortable for me. I would get rid of it, but it has some major cosmetic damage that would affect the value, and it's nice to have for a change of pace, though I rarely play it.

Then there's the 1965 that I got two years ago. It's the only one I play now. Still has the original adjustable rosewood saddle that some people dislike, but I think it sounds fine.

So there was no "master plan" in my choice of guitars, it just happened. I don't feel the need for more guitars or more variety. The 1965 J-50 cured my GAS. :)

Funny that you ask this question, because I'm asking myself the same.

I'm both a passionate musician and a collector, and what I decided to do is pick the most iconic accoustics that are still affordable (not too much bling) and at the same time fit to my playing style, so that I progress in my quest for becoming the best musician I can be.

Currently I have the J-45 and SJ-200 from Gibson.

From Martin Guitars, I own the D-28, D-18, OM-28, 000-28 and 000-18.

I also have a National Triolian Single Cone resonator guitar.

I don't care about the D-35, even though it became a real classic, since it wouldn't bring me too much additional benefit.

From Gibson, I would say the most iconic one after the J-45 and SJ-200 is the Hummingbird.

However, the L-1 and L-00 also are important models, so is the Dove.

If I were looking for the most bluesy tone I, I would pick an L-1 variation. Gotta love the 1928 blues tribute. Or an L-00 variation.

If blues were not my priority I would get a Hummingbird, but only if I find one that sounds different enough from my J-45, which according to some people is true.

But oh my. The advanced jumbos are also so nice, so is the stage deluxe model. But more iconic is the Hummingbird

Actually it isn't funny at all. Your other thread got me thinking and prompted this thread.

I could not afford anything I would want. Hell, I could not afford the Gibsons I now have if I had to buy them today so no complaining.

And no joke, either. I'm kind of in the same place. Starting from scratch at this point in life and the way the market is today, I shudder to think what I'd be playing😖

Well I do only have three, and they're all J-50's. The 1974 was my first acoustic, I bought it new. It went through rough times and became unplayable, but five years ago I had it fixed and now it's fine. Gotta keep it just for the sentimental value. I don't play it much, but it's my Son in Law's favorite.

The 2008 satisfied my desire for a "new style" Gibson. Really liked it a lot for the first year, but eventually realized the neck is just too big to be comfortable for me. I would get rid of it, but it has some major cosmetic damage that would affect the value, and it's nice to have for a change of pace, though I rarely play it.

Then there's the 1965 that I got two years ago. It's the only one I play now. Still has the original adjustable rosewood saddle that some people dislike, but I think it sounds fine.

So there was no "master plan" in my choice of guitars, it just happened. I don't feel the need for more guitars or more variety. The 1965 J-50 cured my GAS. :)

I always enjoy it when you reference the J-50 triplets, or more properly siblings. Still love the top color on that 70's model!

On a completely different note, the first time I checked this thread, I was expecting a joke: the cream, the scum, and the 💩. No wonder my wife worries about taking me anywhere....

Well, I have a J-50 and a J-185. I also have a Recording King RNJ-25 which is a Nick Lucas copy (and a lot of fun) and a Guild Orpheum 12 fret slope (Ren's take on a Roy Smeck while he was at Guild) and I have an Eastman ET5-SS which covers the LG-2 end of things very well.. I'm not much into the aesthetic of square shouldered dreads so Hummingbirds and Songwriters are out. I also don't care much for rosewood back and sides so I would pass on AJ's. I think the one that always has appealed to me aesthetically is the CF-100 so it would have to be one of those, plus I don't own any guitars with a cutaway and I've always thought Florentine cutaways are beautiful.

Aside from my Hummingbird being one of the three, I don't know what else I would pick. Too many that I enjoy playing. Very glad I don't have to make the choice. If I were a collector, I assume the financial value of a guitar would be at least of equal importance to me, along with who might have owned it, etc. and those things would influence what three I wanted.

Well, I have a J-50 and a J-185. I also have a Recording King RNJ-25 which is a Nick Lucas copy (and a lot of fun) and a Guild Orpheum 12 fret slope (Ren's take on a Roy Smeck while he was at Guild) and I have an Eastman ET5-SS which covers the LG-2 end of things very well.. I'm not much into the aesthetic of square shouldered dreads so Hummingbirds and Songwriters are out. I also don't care much for rosewood back and sides so I would pass on AJ's. I think the one that always has appealed to me aesthetically is the CF-100 so it would have to be one of those, plus I don't own any guitars with a cutaway and I've always thought Florentine cutaways are beautiful.

Funny, I have an ET5-ss as well and came "this" close to buying one of the Guild 12 fretters as well. It was a lovely guitar. I think it is funny how many answers are all over the board. It seems like there are enough votes to suggest the SJ-200 and some sort of slope shouldered dread are cornerstones in the Gibson catalog but that third guitar seems almost impossible to get a consensus on.

Archived