Gibson Brands Forums

good phaser pedal???

jameswithesg

anyone know of a good phaser pedal???

i have this cheapo washburn phaser that doesnt really have what i want, not to mention whenever its on it makes my sound WAY louder and i cant do anything about it, theres no level knob that i can adjust so i get a good clean transition when i turn the thing on/off

the pops uses an mxr phase 90

one of those maybe???

The mxr is a legendary phaser, you should try it.

I am currently using a marshall "regenerator" pedal that is not on the mxr's level but is good anyway (if the mxr socres 90 this one scores 70), and has other fx in there (flanger, chorus, step phaser and vibrato) which I find useful as I dont use modulation fx that much, so one pedal with the most used of them is good for me (Im more of a clean/dist kind of guy when playing by myself, my amp has great reverb so that's all I need).

I have Boss PH-2 with vintage/modern mode, and a PH-3. They are both very good, but sound different to the MXR phase 90. I think the MXR is a warmer sounding phase in the lower frequencies, while the 2 Boss phasers have a kind of sparkling glassy sound to the top end. One drawback to both of the Boss phasers is that humbuckers can cause them to clip due to the higher output. - This happens when playing chords. It can be annoying, so I have to not hit the strings so hard. I have no problem with humbuckers used with other Boss modulation effects.

There is no change in volume with the Boss phasers.

The MXR Phase 90 pretty much invented the phase shifter sound of the early 70's. I doubt anyone has ever been disappointed in buying one.

My personal favorite was a cheap little Electro-Harmonix Small Stone Phasor that was given to me in the mid 70's. I used it extensively on recordings and gigs throughout that period, and it was a little more versatile than the MXR. It could get some really wild space ship kind of sounds. I have no idea what ever happened to it. I believe many of the original Electro-Harmonix pedals have been "reissued", and the old ones still turn up on e-bay.

Ditto with L5 about the Small Stone. I worked for Electro-Harmonix in the late 70's. Other companies added a capacitor (I think) at the final output to reduce noise, but Mike Matthews wanted more dramatic effects, even if they were a little noisy. If anyone has ever played through an original Electirc Mistress flanger, or a Deluxe Memory Man analog delay, you'll know what I mean. The company is still in existence, and they are still making most of the original products as well as lots of new ones. Check out their web site.

Archived