Gibson Brands Forums

NGD 2: Larson Bros. Tiger stripe maple jumbo (Pics of course...)

Old Neil

IMG_0258.jpg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip:

IMG_0260.jpg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip

It has been a ridiculous week on the guitar front. After picking up the Hummingbird Vintage yesterday (that has its own thread) the (other) guitar shop rang to say my tiger-striped maple jumbo from Larson Bros was ready with the Waverly tuners I ordered to replace the only sub-standard part of this guitar.

I had compared this particular guitar to two standard Gibson J-200's and 4 custom shop Gibson J-200's from various guitar shops. To my ears at least I kept coming back to this one. The fact that it was a quarter of the price of some of the ones I was considering was a bonus but not a deciding factor.

I have owned a standard J-200 in the past and, while I don't regret selling it, (life is too short) I wanted that deep but controlled sound signature now that I am fortunate enough to own several guitars for specific applications instead of buying/selling looking for 'The One' that has to do it all but always seems out of reach or mildly dissatisfying somehow.

It's a good'un

Nice guitar Neil! This is the first I've heard about the Larson Bros company being reborn. They have some great looking guitars! I especially love their relied versions of the L-00's.

I see that they are based in Germany and the company has only European dealerships at this time. Are you based in Europe? Also, I'm very curious about their price point. They have no price information on their website. (they also don't mention scale length or neck profile info) I'd love to get my hands on one of these if the price is right! Would you mind revealing what you paid for this beauty if that's not too indiscrete?

Thanks much & happy New Year!

Nice guitar Neil! This is the first I've heard about the Larson Bros company being reborn. They have some great looking guitars! I especially love their relied versions of the L-00's.

I see that they are based in Germany and the company has only European dealerships at this time. Are you based in Europe? Also, I'm very curious about their price point. They have no price information on their website. (they also don't mention scale length or neck profile info) I'd love to get my hands on one of these if the price is right! Would you mind revealing what you paid for this beauty if that's not too indiscrete?

Thanks much & happy New Year!

Yes, I am based in Stockholm, Sweden and bought it second hand here. My best guess on the price of a new one is around 12000SEK (around 1300USD). It's quite a fancy model with abalone around the sound hold and border of the top and an ebony overlay on the headstock. The Sitka top is very good quality and the tiger stripe maple is beautiful and well matched. If this had 'Gibson' on the headstock it would run at over $4000. I upgraded the tuners to Waverly nickel butterbeans before I picked it up. They are quite expensive here (like most thingsrolleyes.gif) but worth it. The original tuners were the only thing I didn't like. The pickguard is a little unusual but its growing on me and is period correct. Here is a pic of Bob Dylan playing an original:

Bob%20Rolling%20stone%20cover.jpg

Archived