Gibson Brands Forums

advice please, New 2016 ES-335 Premier Figured Faded Lightburst - minor cosmetic damage

Paul_59

Just bought a new Gibson 2016 ES-335 Premier Figured Faded Lightburst.

It sounds great and on first inspection appeared perfect in appearance, however when looked at from an angle several scratches are visible.

They seem to me to be beneath the nitrocellulose layer coating.

I am sure they don't affect the sound, but it's difficult to ignore once I have seen these.

I bought from a reputable musical instrument store in UK but made the mistake of buying online without seeing the guitar.

I would welcome any advice, should I expect perfection in terms of appearance ?

Would this be considered a manufacturing defect under Gibson warranty ?

Should I request it be refinished or should I try to obtain a replacement ?

What are your thoughts?

First decide how much you like the playability and sound. If you really like it in those respects, be aware if you ask for an exchange you might get one back that you don't like as much. This is always the conundrum in these types of situations. If you're not that into the playability and sound, call you shop and see about an exchange. If I really like the playability and sound, I would live with the minor cosmetic damage.

Scratches possibly under the lacquer....seems a bit vague....and only noticeable at an angle....

A 'display' guitar will be owned for viewing and general drooling....

A gigging guitar will pick up wear and evidence of ageing over time

Almost guaranteed that a dealer would never 'refinish' a guitar....too labour intensive

V

:-({|=

Some good advice given. If the finish bothers you now it will always bother you. Call the seller and discuss the issue. They may discount the guitar in lieu of exchanging it, which may ease your dilemma. At the cost level of the ES 335, you should be 100% satisfied.

Archived