Gibson Brands Forums

Fender American Professional Series Strats

Rabs

I do dig that Sonic Gray finish on these new Fenders.

But they did not offer a Telecaster in an HS configuration this year. So, I opted for a floor model 2016 American Telecaster HS. Will be posting pics soon—as soon as a couple minor modifications are complete.

The HH versions still sound fairly Fender-ish which testifies that the build/design is so important to the sound. That HH Strat still doesn’t sound Strat enough for me though!

When I had classic single coils fitted to my Esprit last year, it still didn’t didnt give me the Fender sound (wrong build).

And of course the disastrous Flaxwood had the build right but the wrong pups again.

I think I may have finally found a Strat style guitar (non Fender) that ticks both boxes though, -more on that later.

Been down that road... JB Jrs too... just not my thang.

It's a great single coil sounding guitar. My secret weapon tele has stacks in it, so some more girth and no noise at all. My Esquire is getting a bucker in it too. I go from my Gibsons to the strat and it's just meh. I can get great cleans out of buckers, but I can't get the thickness and staying power that the womens demand out of singles, so I gotta go with some consistency. If I wasn't the only guitar player I might keep them single'd. Maybe.

rct

... I go from my Gibsons to the strat and it's just meh. I can get great cleans out of buckers, but I can't get the thickness and staying power that the womens demand out of singles, so I gotta go with some consistency. If I wasn't the only guitar player I might keep them single'd. Maybe.

rct

Man, do I know that struggle! Going from singles to humbuckers in the same rig can be a nightmare. I was Gibson-less for nearly a decade because of this! [scared]

All of my Fenders have higher output singles instead of the stock pups. That 5.5k $hit is for the birds - 7-8k in all my Strats, 10k in the Tele bridges. I also set the pickups in my Gibsons very low to the bodies. Finally.... 250k pots in the Fenders and 500k in the Gibsons helps too. Now I can switch pretty easily without the ladies noticing a huge change in oooommph.

Man, do I know that struggle! Going from singles to humbuckers in the same rig can be a nightmare. I was Gibson-less for nearly a decade because of this! [scared]

All of my Fenders have higher output singles instead of the stock pups. That 5.5k $hit is for the birds - 7-8k in all my Strats, 10k in the Tele bridges. I also set the pickups in my Gibsons very low to the bodies. Finally.... 250k pots in the Fenders and 500k in the Gibsons helps too. Now I can switch pretty easily without the ladies noticing a huge change in oooommph.

I too keep all pickups down, down to the ring on Gibsons and down to the pickguard on Fenders. Luther always sets them meticulously, using some sort of nuclear astrolabe to get the exact height and angle. meh. Down they go.

I've never really minded going from bucker to single between songs, until lately. I'm trying to be as consistent as possible I guess, keep the other two apes happy. Who knew the bass player and drummer could tell the difference!!

rct

Archived