Gibson Brands Forums

What material was the bridge(bare) made of ?

gotomsdos

Hi, guys out there...I'm much puzzled at the material of the bridge(bare)

A 2006 J-45 Legend

No certificate, which indicates a prototype ?

As you see, it has a special bridge, seems unoiled, unfinished, bare ? What material was it made of ?

I can't offer any advice on the Legends, but I have heard only good things about them. I just wanted to add that I think a Legend would be an excellent choice for you, if you want to minimize the risk involved with buying a vintage instrument. With that said, I don't particularly like the look of the bridge and the modern pickguard in the pictures of that Legend. Maybe the bridge is original and only needs a little bit of oil? Pickguards can be changed fairly easily (if not under the finish, which it might very well be on the Legend), if you care about that sort of thing...

Best of luck,

Lars

I can't offer any advice on the Legends, but I have heard only good things about them. I just wanted to add that I think a Legend would be an excellent choice for you, if you want to minimize the risk involved with buying a vintage instrument. With that said, I don't particularly like the look of the bridge and the modern pickguard in the pictures of that Legend. Maybe the bridge is original and only needs a little bit of oil? Pickguards can be changed fairly easily (if not under the finish, which it might very well be on the Legend), if you care about that sort of thing...

Best of luck,

Lars

Thank you Lars.

But I'll not plan to buy this J-45 Legend, posted it just to get some info of it. Getting a vintage J-45(not a J-50, 1946-1952, better a player one) is my current goal, unchanged.

Thank you Lars.

But I'll not plan to buy this J-45 Legend, posted it just to get some info of it. Getting a vintage J-45(1946-1952, better a player one) is my current goal, unchanged.

This one looks very good.

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/topic/183233/1952-Gibson-J50-Dealer-Post

I purchased my 1938 Kalamazoo 3/4 Sport from this store a few years ago without trouble.

Just a thought...

Lars

This one looks very good.

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/topic/183233/1952-Gibson-J50-Dealer-Post

I purchased my 1938 Kalamazoo 3/4 Sport from this store a few years ago without trouble.

Just a thought...

Lars

Ross Teigen, who did the work on this guitar, is the guy who works on my guitars. He's good.

Just taking a close look at the 2006 Legend in question, and wondering about Lar's mention of how some of the early J-45's had the pickguard under the finish: Could any of the forum's J-45 Legend owners (Dave) take a look to see if their guitar has a similar appearance around the pickguard as this one does? For example, some rough finish at the "point" of the teardrop 'guard, the buildup shown at the lower arrow (giving the appearance of an overspray of some sort), and on the bottom photo, the uneven, black residue outside of the pg's lower (inboard) side, and the black look in the bridge pin slots. The bass side of that bridge wing looks almost like it has been scraped.

018a7a7a-ffc9-4c69-8afb-b81b8c3d4217_zpsaioc26pl.png

Goto- was this Legend being offered for sale at an unusually good price?

Just taking a close look at the 2006 Legend in question, and wondering about Lar's mention of how some of the early J-45's had the pickguard under the finish: Could any of the forum's J-45 Legend owner's (Dave) take a look to see if their guitar has a similar appearance around the pickguard as this one does? For example, some rough finish at the "point" of the teardrop 'guard, the buildup shown at the lower arrow (giving the appearance of an overspray of some sort), and on the bottom photo, the uneven, black residue outside of the pg's lower (inboard) side, and the black look in the bridge pin slots. The bass side of that bridge wing looks almost like it has been scraped.

018a7a7a-ffc9-4c69-8afb-b81b8c3d4217_zpsaioc26pl.png

2f9c81f7-cc68-4a9b-ac6f-f526a9c88152_zpsqdmujd25.png

Goto- was this Legend being offered for sale at an unusually good price?

Oh, 62burst

No, the seller's asking for close to XXXXX local currency (nearly 6000 USD) !

I've not tried it yet. Waiting for him to come over with it some day.

He says that this one is probably Ren's handmade one, that's why he's asking so high. But I'll not accept this price. hahaha Just would like to play one...

I have a feeling this guitar had the pickguard on before spraying, but that it was masked off. That is possibly the reason for build-up along the edges.

There is cleary bare wood under the guard, wich is why the light areas shine through so much. However, with an oversprayed guard, normally the pointy end would be much, much darker. Here the color is the same as the rest of the guard There is no color transition. I remember reading somewhere that some of the early ones had the guards masked off. I bet this is one of those.

Lars

I have a feeling this guitar had the pickguard on before spraying, but that it was masked off. That is possibly the reason for build-up along the edges.

There is cleary bare wood under the guard, wich is why the light areas shine through so much. However, with an oversprayed guard, normally the pointy end would be much, much darker. Here the color is the same as the rest of the guard There is no color transition. I remember reading somewhere that some of the early ones had the guards masked off. I bet this is one of those.

Lars

Oh, thank you Lars68.

Now what I'm the most curious of is what wood was the bridge(bare, seems to be unfinished) made of ?

Oh, thank you Lars68.

Now what I'm the most curious of is what wood was the bridge(bare, seems to be unfinished) made of ?

It's an odd-looking piece of wood. It's hard to know how much is the result of the photography, and how much is the character of the wood. Rosewood can vary a lot in color, and you can enhance the color with a bit of fretboard oil.

I'm pretty sure the Legend specs originally called for Madagascar rosewood bridge and fretboard. That's pretty clearly what my L-OO Legend has. It's a 2010 model. It's also what the bridge in Dave F's guitar appears to be, which is also a 2010.

My J-185TV has Mad rose fretboard and bridge and although the color of mine is just slightly darker than that bridge the grain pattern is very similar. There's something that just strikes me as fishy about that J-45 and how the color of the bridge in no way matches the fret board. I only chimed in because my guitar illustrates that Gibson was messing around with Mad rose in 2007 so the possibility exists....It will darken quite a bit with time and the darkening process can be accelerated with a little lemon oil. Just don't over saturate would be the cautionary note.

Here is my December 2006 Legend. According to Jeremy Morton and Ren, this guitar originally had the pick guard under the final finish. Apparently not the best idea, as over time the pick guard shrinking and expanding at a different frequency than the wood top caused some finish problems. According to JM, this guitar was sent back to the factory for attention. The pick guard was removed, and the entire top was resanded, refinished, and pick guard reinstalled. JM estimated that they had about 50 hours of work getting this one back to A-1 shape.

From the photos below you can see that the PG does not exhibit the same sort of outline that the OPs original photo shows. It also shows the bridge that is clearly Rosewood.

IMG_1297_zpsiegtkybw.jpg

IMG_1298_zpsgwysoniw.jpg

Here is my December 2006 Legend. According to Jeremy Morton and Ren, this guitar originally had the pick guard under the final finish. Apparently not the best idea, as over time the pick guard shrinking and expanding at a different frequency than the wood top caused some finish problems. According to JM, this guitar was sent back to the factory for attention. The pick guard was removed, and the entire top was resanded, refinished, and pick guard reinstalled. JM estimated that they had about 50 hours of work getting this one back to A-1 shape.

From the photos below you can see that the PG does not exhibit the same sort of outline that the OPs original photo shows. It also shows the bridge that is clearly Rosewood.

IMG_1297_zpsiegtkybw.jpg

IMG_1298_zpsgwysoniw.jpg

Thank you all !

duluthdan, I've eventually waited and got you in !

GORGEOUS looking your J-45 Legend is !

BTW, Did you hear anything of what material the bridge(unfinished, bare) I posted was made of ?

Thank you all !

duluthdan, I've eventually waited and got you in !

Did you hear anything of what material the bridge(unfinished, bare) I posted was made of ?

I would be extremely surprised if it was not Rosewood. Looks like a photo lighting issue with your picture .

I would be extremely surprised if it was not Rosewood. Looks like a photo lighting issue with your picture .

Dan, your J-45 Legend looks great, has such a tall steep saddle for you to eat in the future !

As for the material of bridge I posted, one of my local guitar makers says it looks like Honduras rosewood. I doubt. Does Montana Gibson have Honduras rosewood in its warehouse ? Is it possible that Montana Gibson uses Honduras rosewood for making bridge or other parts of guitar ?

Dan, your J-45 Legend looks great, has such a tall steep saddle for you to eat in the future !

As for the material of bridge I posted, one of my local guitar makers says it looks like Honduras rosewood. I doubt. Does Montana Gibson have Honduras rosewood in its warehouse ? Is it possible that Montana Gibson uses Honduras rosewood for making bridge or other parts of guitar ?

I doubt it's Honduran rosewood. If it were, it would probably be advertised as such.

These days the premium rosewood is Madagascar, and you pay for it. A dreadnought back/sides set of good East Indian cost about $120 from an online wood supplier. The same thing in Madagascar is about $500. The few Brazilian sets I've seen advertised are about $2000, and aren't that impressive. Any luthier that has them is holding on for dear life, waiting for the right customer who's willing to pay through the nose for a good Brazilian guitar.

Thanks to illegal logging and trafficking, Madagascar is endangered, and more and more expensive. You see a lot of four-piece backs.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Round-Shoulder/Gibson-Acoustic/1942-J-45-Legend.aspx

When I looked at the picture you posted, I thought the bridge looked like it had some dried up paste on it.

WOW ! Dave

"dried up paste" ? Sounds like approaching a correct answer ?

I have no idea of the phrase... What is it ? fluent or filmlike ? Used for any other models of Gibson as well ?

Archived