Gibson Brands Forums

This looks very nice.........

Buc McMaster

They're pretty black, Larry. I have, and have had a couple of guitars with this burst. Here's a 12-fret SoJo that big-time internet Gibson lover/flipper Dangitman had thru his doors:

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-05%20at%201.47.25%20PM_zpsuhjj4oxn.png

One advantage of more blackness- much more straightforward lacquer repairs to the top.

I can see some brown in the darkness. Good-looking guitar. Maybe if the lighter brown covered a little more area it would be a good fit for me color-wise. I don't care for the Gibson Cobra burst much either, although I don't think I've seen one "in the flesh." If I ever stumble onto one of the Martin Cash D35 guitars, I might take a hard look at it.

Gibson sometimes uses smaller and/or darker 'bursts on vintage homage models, particularly models from the 1930's. Whether you like them or not is purely a matter of personal taste. Here's the one on my L-OO Legend. If anything, it's actually a lot darker in the flesh than the photo indicates, as you can tell from how washed-out the Madagascar rosewood bridge and fretboard appear in this photo, which is lit by camera flash.

L-00005.jpg

Here's what that bridge actually looks like. It also gives a better idea of how dark the 'burst actually is.

colosipins-1.jpg

Seems like the “blackbursts” on the Gibson 12-fret models have been getting progressively blacker with each new model, starting with the more mild versions on the Jackson Browne models, the Stage Deluxe Limited and S.D. Rosewood guitars, the 12-fret AJ, to the 12-fret Southern Jumbo Special and now the J-45. Must be easier from a production standpoint; I think even I could shoot a passable burst not much wider than the bridge.

Maybe the burst shrinks because it's following the soundhole ;)

1483651096[/url]' post='1824856']

I had one of those 12 fret SJs for awhile I thought it looked great..and sounded great as well. Too bad I couldn't keep them all..Tommy is showing me how to tune it here..

tommymySJ.jpg

I bet that guy can t play at all. Any guy who wears that shirt is probably a pretender.

(Holy crap Rob... how do u get to jam with TE? I'm sure I'd freeze up.

)

I bet that guy can t play at all. Any guy who wears that shirt is probably a pretender.

(Holy crap Rob... how do u get to jam with TE? I'm sure I'd freeze up.

)

Rob's a concert promoter. That's a pretty good place to start.

Gibson's bursts have always varied in size and shade - to me, no matter how dark they get, they still look better than the dark bursts offered up on the occasional Martin. I just like Gibson bursts in general....

Gibson sure has a way to (( burst )) a Gibson owners bubble , when they keep releasing guitars that look the same as another with a different Model tagged on it.. 40 years from now when labels fall out.. No one will have a clue..

and Gibson Does not care.. they just want all of your money now... the heck with youz later.. .

Thats my thoughts..

For the longest time it was Gibson bursts or nothing for me:

DSC00829.jpg

But, I've seen the light- I'm about a month away from taking delivery on a Custom one of these..

F334C394-EA75-475D-A2D4-A7AC57C7C64E-650-000000181E25030D_zpsued90qtk.jpg

And I just bought this..

00h0h_gnmeOyEk6R7_600x450_zpsddpoegsw.jpg

So, my awareness of other builders' capabilities has expanded and I'm not such an absolutist anymore.

Gibson sure has a way to (( burst )) a Gibson owners bubble , when they keep releasing guitars that look the same as another with a different Model tagged on it.. 40 years from now when labels fall out.. No one will have a clue..

and Gibson Does not care.. they just want all of your money now... the heck with youz later.. .

Thats my thoughts..

Slmt, One could argue that a company that mass-produces 10x as many models cares much less for your ability to determine the exact model/style of one of theirs 40 years from now!

And as far as people having a clue 40 years from now - Gibson imprints their s/n into the wood. Other makers ink stamp them inside the sound hole on the neck block.

But, to get back to the OP's post - that dark burst would take getting use to, sort of an acquired taste. I use to really not like them. Now, I really do.

I think it's ironic this one is the same price at $4K as the Marijuana Martin which Blues King 777 posted on another thread. If you could only have one guitar - which would you want?

Slmt, One could argue that a company that mass-produces 10x as many models cares much less for your ability to determine the exact model/style of one of theirs 40 years from now!

And as far as people having a clue 40 years from now - Gibson imprints their s/n into the wood. Other makers ink stamp them inside the sound hole on the neck block.

But, to get back to the OP's post - that dark burst would take getting use to, sort of an acquired taste. I use to really not like them. Now, I really do.

I think it's ironic this one is the same price at $4K as the Marijuana Martin which Blues King 777 posted on another thread. If you could only have one guitar - which would you want?

True enough.. that Martin looks aweful..

Thinking forty years ahead in the American business world is pretty rare. Thinking forty quarters ahead is pretty rare too come to think of it. I always think back to how we perceived Japanese products when I was a kid. While we were playing with cheap pressed tin cap pistols in the early '60's and laughing at them, they were designing Toyota cars and Nikon cameras. Now I understand they are buying Sitka logs and submersing them in bays in Japan for the day when Sitka is so depleted the ROI is huge. Jannusguy2, you have great taste in guitars and it's pretty amazing how your collection has morphed in just a few years. What's the forty year plan? [smile]

FYI

Most of the Gibson retro models ink stamp the neck blocks as in days of old and do not stamp the back of the headstock. But I like it like that.

Thinking forty years ahead in the American business world is pretty rare. Thinking forty quarters ahead is pretty rare too come to think of it. I always think back to how we perceived Japanese products when I was a kid. While we were playing with cheap pressed tin cap pistols in the early '60's and laughing at them, they were designing Toyota cars and Nikon cameras. Now I understand they are buying Sitka logs and submersing them in bays in Japan for the day when Sitka is so depleted the ROI is huge. Jannusguy2, you have great taste in guitars and it's pretty amazing how your collection has morphed in just a few years. What's the forty year plan? [smile]

Well, my 5 mos. plan is to be down to 6 guitars by summer! Many of those you see in the pics have been released back into the wild. If all goes according to plan I'll be left with the 51 J45, Sj200, Martin CS00014, Martin CS 00018, Collings OM2HC and that old Goya. It's been fun but that's plenty!

Archived