Gibson Brands Forums

GuitarSale.com has been bought.......

robekert

Yup. Some of their unique Gibson inventory moved over to Musician's Friend last month. I got my short scale maple AJ when it made the jump. MF put it on sale, and I put it in my collection. MF still has quite a few hard-to-find or Custom Shop models in their Clearance section.

Red 333

Did GuitarSale have a physical location? If not' date=' I don't see the big deal. Internet only dealers all charge way too much. I always get a better deal on Gibsons at my Mom and Pop.[/quote']

I'm not sure on this, but I think they did have a store location. What bothers me though, is they had "some" stuff,

that you couldn't find anywhere else. (Short Scale AJ's, made from a variety, of different woods for instance.)

by Private Reserve Guitars.com which is a subsidiary of Musician's Friend. The carnage of this economy continues. Shame GuitarSale had some unique offerings.

This is old news. Musician's Friend bought Woodwind and Brasswind in February 2007, after the latter declared bankruptcy. WWBW, GuitarSale's parent company, officially became an MF subsidiary on 1 March 2007.

-- Bob R

Did GuitarSale have a physical location?

Yep' date=' in South Bend, IN, right off I-80/90. I visited last summer on my way from Lansing to Chicago. As far as I can tell from the WWBW web site, the physical location is not going away. But I suppose that the consolidation of the web sites might mean they won't carru as much high-end stuff there any more.

If not' date=' I don't see the big deal. Internet only dealers all charge way too much. I always get a better deal on Gibsons at my Mom and Pop.[/quote']

Internet dealers can only quote the MAP on their web site. If you gave GuitarSale a call for a price, they'd offer the same level of discounts that local dealers do. (Of course, you're better off buying from your local dealer, if you can, for other reasons.)

-- Bob R

What bothers me though' date=' is they had "some" stuff, that you couldn't find anywhere else. (Short Scale AJ's, made from a variety, of different woods for instance.)[/quote']

Well, that's just because they called up Gibson and ordered them. Now that the folks in Bozeman have gotten more used to the concept short scale AJ -- I gather the request from GS caused a major "Whaaa...??" -- any dealer can order one for you. If you can dream it up, your dealer can order it! (GS probably got a bit of a price break by ordering a bunch at one time -- like Fuller's does with their specials -- so you might have to pay a little more to get one elsewhere, but that's life.)

-- Bob R

Archived