Gibson Brands Forums

How long have you been playing guitar

4Hayden

I am now 56 years old. First guitar exposure was in 1975. Started playing my sister's Spanish classical acoustic at that time. A friend lent me a Fender Stratocaster without an amp for a few months. I got my own nylon string acoustic in 1978. I got a steel string Washburn acoustic in 1980. More since then. So I would say 46 years.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

34 years ago, when I was 25, I bought a house and the previous owner had left a Teisco guitar and Crown amp in the attic. I played around with that cheese grater for about 6 months then bought a used Westbury at a yard sale, took about 10 years where I didn't play much, as some others stated here, then got back into big and kept it up. I pretty much play every day now.

Summer of '63.

Rev. David...

Was staying with grandparents at Ankeny and got the little classical at Des Moines Music when it was downtown across from Yonkers.

Then a few weeks later it was off to Grinnell for college and no less than 8 hours a day on the guitar. Didn't do my classes any good.

A few hiatus times, the latest about a year and a half ago with a stroke that kinda stole left hand control. So... we'll see how it goes. My typing is speeding up and since that's how I get a few bucks still, that was the first goal. Soon back to guitar.

m

33 years. Despite me asking to play the guitar, my parents forced me to play a number of instruments I didn't want to play, like the violin and clarinet. When I got my first pay packet, I went to my local guitar shop and bought a black Columbus Les Paul copy for £45. I played it a while, got disillusioned, sold it. Three years later, I bought a friend's Strat copy, and started again at the age of 21. Never looked back. [thumbup]

Summer of '63.

Rev. David...

Was staying with grandparents at Ankeny and got the little classical at Des Moines Music when it was downtown across from Yonkers.

Then a few weeks later it was off to Grinnell for college and no less than 8 hours a day on the guitar. Didn't do my classes any good.

A few hiatus times, the latest about a year and a half ago with a stroke that kinda stole left hand control. So... we'll see how it goes. My typing is speeding up and since that's how I get a few bucks still, that was the first goal. Soon back to guitar.

m

Wish you well and a speedy recovery back to playing

4H

I started playing guitar in 2000. I was 8 years old.

We're the same age!

I got my first guitar around the same time (Carlo Robelli 3/4 scale Strat copy) but didn't really take to it until I was 13 or 14. So with that said, been playing for about 10 years now

Summer of '63.

Rev. David...

m

[thumbup]

I remember that store! Wasn't there nearly as early as you were my friend, but I was there! Here's a link you will enjoy:

https://www.iowarocknroll.com/inductees/96/des-moines-music-house/

And brother - God's speed to getting back to that fretboard [thumbup]

Rev. David...

Thanks for the reference.

One thing I found about Des Moines Music was how kind they were to kids who may or may not have had the cash to buy much. I'd like to think I helped sell a guitar or two for them by playing for potential customers with cash, but...

I think most of the folks I knew that had guitars in the months I lived there had bought them from DMM. Won't go too much further on that one, but I know at least one was in the fatal car crash of its owner; I think another is unplayed but held in a home in Vermont.

No idea of a couple of others.

m

I played a bit in my teens but not much. Then i took it up again about 11 years ago but just in time to have neck surgery due to arm and hand issues and well that's not too good when trying to play guitar but I enjoy it. I have to work harder at it than a normal person.

Archived