Gibson Brands Forums

Chip in paint under the pickguard

leovan83

Hey guys!

After doing some research - and taking off the pickguard on my Les Paul Tribute 2017 to see, I found out that on about all Les Pauls, the bracket under the pickguard (the screw and nut) will leave a dent/chip on the paint. I have been the guitar for about 2 weeks now and I have probably touched/pressed the pickguard a few times, so the dent on my Goldtop is actually now a little round chip all the way down to the wood - which isn't very deep, but still a chip.

I've already installed back the pickguard since I personally do like the look of Les Paul's with pickguards, so I won't be worrying about looking at the chip anyway. My actual worry is different:

Since my LP Tribute has a satin finish, there's no nitro coat on the guitar so it's just the paint and it's color which in my case it's a goldtop. I was wondering if the chip on a satin (very thin) paint job will start to "expand" or "grow" like a cancer with continuos use. I have already placed a piece of felt under the pickguard's nut so it doesn't scratch the finish anymore but the existing dent is already there.

Any thoughts on this? Do I need to do something to the chip? Will it stay the same?

I've had this on my 2013 Traditional Pro II, which came with the pick guard installed at the factory.

There is no checking around the dent, it's like a small impression from the nut. I decided to keep the guard on, seeing as the holes were already drilled.

To prevent further impressions being made, and to protect the area that had already been marked; I cut the end of a rubber pencil eraser off and wedged it between the nut and the body, so even if something pressed the guard down towards the body the nut won't make contact with the finish.

...I was wondering if the chip on a satin (very thin) paint job will start to "expand" or "grow" like a cancer with continuous use.

Any thoughts on this?

Many congratulations!

That sort of genuine finish checking usually requires either 40 years of playing or a £3,000 up-charge for the 'ageing' treatment.

Enjoy your guitar for heavens' sake. Don't mollycoddle it. It's a tool for making music; not a priceless antique.

If it gets a few chips/dings/dents/finish-checking it's all part of 'Stuff'.

msp_thumbup.gif

P.

I've been laying and recording with the guitar 7 hours a day since I got it so it's not a matter of not playing the guitar... the question is if I need to worry about the chip spreading out since I use the guitar a lot. Apparently is fairly common, a quick google search for "Les Paul without the pickguard" shows every single one has the same issue and, there are some very cool pics of old LPs and how the paint fades away with time, and they also have the same ding/dent,chip...

I'm keeping the pickguard on!

Yeah, I guess it's all good, I don't think the hole is going to spread into cracks or anything...

I really like these satin goldtop finishes they started doing with last years 50s Tribute and my 2017 Tribute, it really looks and feels very high quality.

• 1 month later...

On my 17 GT Tribute T, I have the chip under the pickguard, too. I thought of a way to prevent it with tape, and such, but the fix would probably be worse than the chip.

I would think that Gibson would use a smaller screw and nut. But I suppose you need a stable surface for the guard to lay on, so the screw may be that way by design. I don't think we would want a wobbly pickguard.

My ES-125 pickguard has the screw where the f-hole is. So it's a bit wobbly, and occasionally I'm afraid of damaging it when I finger pick or strum. It's surprising how it's held up for all these long 60 years. Not a crack or blemish.... fingers crossed. Man, that is an awesome guitar.

I also prefer the LP look with the guard. And I always need it for my pinky when I finger pick. Now, I think the honey burst looks great without the guard. If I had them side-by-side, I would have had a tough time deciding which one. Would have come down to feel and playability........

I dont think it would effect the sound or playabilty of the gtr,,Id get some matching model car paint{approx 2$ at local hobby shop} and just dab it in ,,let dry,,and play + enjoy the gtr. Unless your concerned about resale. Just a thought.

Never touch up your nitro finished guitar with model car paint.

Searcy is right.. very bad idea to put paint on a Nitro bodied guitar

if anything use more nitro.. but you better learn about it's application and reaction first before doing anything.

(maybe just leave the dent alone)

http://www.stewmac.com/SiteSearch/?search=nitrocellulose%20lacquer

Never touch up your nitro finished guitar with model car paint.

Just play and enjoy the guitar. I've never understood why people want their guitars to remain pristine forever or worry about a tiny blemish. Especially one under the pickguard lol.

To me a perfect looking guitar is the same as a hammer that looks brand new. It means it doesn't get much use and tools are made to be used. I wouldn't have much faith in a carpenter whose tools looked brand new and I feel the same about guitarists with pristine guitars.

I have a LP Classic from the early 90s that has arm wear at the top that is down to the wood. It's just a small spot right below the binding but I look at that and know it's from years of me playing the guitar and IMO at least it looks cool and gives the guitar character. I'm proud of that wear.

(My Classic is why reliced guitars are so silly to me, I know what my guitar has been through for the past twenty years and it's got dents and dings and a small amount of paint missing but it doesn't look anything like most "reliced" guitars with their paint "worn" off in huge patches, checking everywhere, etc)

• 3 years later...

I have a 2019 Standard and they put a piece of felt on the nut. I was pleasantly surprised. First Lester I ever bought to have that. If not, I wouldn't have given two shitz if the little mar was there,  thats because the gitfiddle sounds awesome and that little dent didn't matter.

Edited by Big Bill

8 hours ago, CosmiChrist said:

in june of 2020 has Gibson fixed this problem???  I have a brand new classic arriving tomorrow and am a pickgaurd off guy

No. They could have fixed this problem over 60 years ago but have chosen not to. The new guitars ship with a piece of felt underneath the offending bolt but because there is no room the bolt still pushes the felt into the top of the guitar and dents the finish. It isn't any kind of solution.

What Gibson need to do is use a slightly longer metal bracket (like Epiphone do) which creates clearance between the bottom of the pickguard bolt and the top of the guitar. That is the only way to fix this decades old problem. Fortunately LPs look better with the pickguard on so this blemish remains hidden....

Edited by sunking101