Gibson Brands Forums

Chambered vs. Weight Relieved Test Answer

rocketman

80LPC; I'm sorry to abbreviate your excellent post without your prior permission but you said something which I sincerely believe to be just too important to overlook;

It's very simple. If we are serious about tone' date=' it has to be valve/tube - Gibsons deserve nothing less![/quote']

It´s easy to criticise. Why don´t you guys do a better test?

I´m still thinking that Rocketman did well. It´s interesting that there was a difference. Even through computerized equipment. I didn´t understand this test as a buyers guide or saying which one´s better. I think none of them sounds better or worse. And if I had to buy one' date=' I´d try them myself to find out which one I like better. I wouldn´t rely on somebody elses test. Even if he used a tube amp. So to me what Rocketman did was cool and interesting.[/quote']

For the record, I was not criticizing his post. My apologies to Rocketman if it came across that way. No Rocketman had a good idea and the beginning of a real test. All I was saying is that to really know would be to reduce the variables and use a tube amp.

I think we can all agree that a good tube amp is the truest test of tone. No pedals in between and importantly, a good cable. Let's not forget that a good cable makes a big difference.

Furthermore, I propose that both guitars have the same setup and maybe a set of .10 gauge strings would ring a little truer. In my opinion there is just a little too much slink in .09 gauge strings to really dial in the nuances of a chambered and non-chambered body. String tension should be medium. I know there are a lot of players who use very slinky or very tight setups, but just to rule that out.

The guitar EQ flat at 12:00, the volume loud enough to get the tubes hot, and the presence 12:00 too. This narrow down a favorable EQ and wouldn't cause a typical choke by cutting out treble or mids. There should be enough presence to hear the entire low-high spectrum clearly.

It would be even more beneficial to demonstrate chords, bends, vibratos, alternate picking and sustained notes for comparison.

If it sounds like I'm trying to be an expert, I assure you I'm not. In my experience, however, gear demos are best kept simple and consistent.

I have the amps, mics, recording gear, and a "weight relieved" LP, but I don't have the solid body to test or I would do the test my self.

I think this would be a great test and appropriate for the Gibson forum. I mean, after all, solid vs. chambered has been a long debated issue.

Thanks to Rocketman for the effort and initiative.

The bottom line behind all research is that one should never take one data point as the end all of everything.

+1

I apologise if I offended anyone here. Sorry for that! But I agree with Rocketmans statement above and I don´t think that there is a better way to get such a test up on www. At least at reasonable costs. It´s just to show that there is a difference, even after it´s computerized. This test could never tell you which guitar you should buy and it wasn´t ment to say which one´s better. Again, thanks Rocketman for the interesting test.

Greetings

Kurt

Archived