Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird Standard vs. Hummingbird VOS (Vintage)

hojo199

I suppose the major difference is the cooked top on the Vintage model. Can't speak to any bracing differences if there are any. It's a throwback vintage model with a VOS finish and mildly relic-ed machine heads (of the proper sort!). Bone nut and saddle.......I think the Standard has Tusq.

I'm almost sure the back-braces are lighter on the Vintage.

Then there is nut and and saddle material - tusq vs bone.

And of course the rosette : TV's and Vintage has the white version where Standards have black (neg/pos). A highly important detail there. .

I suppose the major difference is the cooked top on the Vintage model. Can't speak to any bracing differences if there are any. It's a throwback vintage model with a VOS finish and mildly relic-ed machine heads (of the proper sort!). Bone nut and saddle.......I think the Standard has Tusq.

All of that seems subtle -- do you think it's worth the extra money? Tone difference? I am leaning toward the vintage....

All of that seems subtle......

Acoustic guitars are all about subtleties, yes? I do think the cooked top is a bit more than subtle, though. I owned a Standard a few years back and it was a nice instrument, but this Vintage is very likely the best acoustic I've owned. And it's the overall package: the sound, the feel, the appearance. Of these, the way this guitar feels in the hands and responds to attack is the best part of the experience.

Mine had the flubber guard when I got it. Had the dealer get me the etched & painted version, which to my thinking should have been on the guitar from the factory.

I've had both. There is no comparison. The Vintage is my best guitar, and I have a few nice ones.

The others have mentioned the finish, tuners, cooked top, pickup (none on the V), and lighter build. As differences Don't go by the website specs. They list both guitars as weighing the same. No way. The Vintage is lighter, and by more than the pickup in my estimation.

I have no idea what makes the tonal difference, but it's there. I played mine alongside a Hummingbird Standard, a Dove, and a Country Western Reissue that I owned. It was no contest and the CW was traded.

My guess is the standard Bird can be had for about $2500 in general, and the Vintage can be had for about $3200. It's a decent price difference, but I'm happy I have mine.

Good luck in your hunt. Check Fuller's, Wildwood, and EM shorts for best pricing and availability.

Mine had the flubber guard when I got it. Had the dealer get me the etched & painted version, which to my thinking should have been on the guitar from the factory.

I believe hojo199 should know that's because you are a lefty. (correct if wrong)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

But go A/B the Vintage and the Standard yourself, hojo.

I had a TV and a Std. at the same time and though they both were good, I definitely preferred the TV, which was drier and more vintage sounding.

Notice I'm not talking torrefied Vintage, but so called True Vintage.

Have to add the Std. was extraordinary smooth and honey voiced - never heard anything like it.

The difference between a Std. and a baked top will of course be even bigger.

Quite hard to describe compared to how obvious it is when testing live.

But take a Tube-trip - it'll make you 1 step wiser, , , then if possible do the rest in real life. .

Already many good answers here. The Hummingbird Vintage sounds crisp, loud and hollow. The standard version (assuming good examples of both) is slightly milder with a soft blending between notes. Some may prefer that as it is possibly more forgiving of looser strumming.technique.

As always 'best/better/worse' are subjective and relative to application, preference, technique etc

I just put down my Vintage to write this so yes, I love mine.

"The Bird," of any variation is a different kind of beast. Possibly the most awe-inspiring guitar ever made. More "oohs and aahs" than Marilyn Monroe in her prime. Last night, while playing at a brewery, I heard a woman say "that's a real Hummingbird. A Gibson." You gotta love it.....lots of pretenders to the throne, and then there's "The Bird." Easy to spot in the middle of a herd.

Archived