Gibson Brands Forums

Need neck adjustment?

Kolera

I just compared the necks of my LP an my Epi from '94. The neck on the Epi seems as straight as can be, viewed by eye of course, but my LP seems to bow a bit forward from somewhere around the 4th/5th fret. It isn't much and I haven't experienced any problems with it regarding the sound (or anything else for that matter) whatsoever. Still it bothers me to some extend.

Is a neck adjustment needed immidiately to avoid this being a permanent issue or is it a minor issue that won't settle if nothing is done about it right now?

I ain't much of a do-it-myself-guy so I'd be more comfortable having a pro do it for me. Setting up guitars that is...

I am mostly concerned with the long time effect on the neck if it's left as it is, since the guitar sounds as it supposed to. I mean, will it become a permanent non-reversable issue if it's not taken care of right away?

Do a google on guitar "relief" and "truss rod adjustment" to learn more about it. Some amount of relief is a normal thing, but too much relief will result in a high action. Every guitar is different and requires different amounts of relief, the neck is made out of wood and time can alter the wood's shape, requiring an adjustment. Warning, the length of the neck and the neck binding sometimes fool the eye into thinking the neck is bowed, when actually, it is not.

Also, a guitar that had been neck-adjusted for use with light gauge strings, would probably bow more if you changed the strings to a much thicker gauge. The added tension might bow the neck a bit more than before.

Your guitar is probably OK, otherwise, you would have noticed it from its playability by now if you had a major problem. But, you can take it in to a tech to have a look at it, and with a long square edge ruler placed directly on the frets, they should be able to let you know if your neck is straight or bowed within reason.

Yeah, I had most of that figured out already, but I appreciate your thorough answer. Thanks.

I called the shop yesterday and told them that regardless that this may be a minor issue with no effect on the guitar I still wanted them to check it out and if they find anything, they need to fix it free of charge. The answer was "no problem, bring it by when you have the time." I like that store.

a slight bow is normal unless you experience string buzz then you have a problemo. i've taken it to a few luthiers and was told the same thing about what you were worryin about. but again, if you are having problems with intonation, and buzz then by all means get it set up =P~

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I went to the shop and told them I wasn't happy with the neck. The guy called the repairdude and handed the guitar over and told him to take a look at it. He said he could definitely see what I meant even though it wasn't off by much. Anyways, he made a small adjustment and that helped a lot. Still, it was mostly for my visual satisfaction but they did it, no questions asked, no hard time convincing them to do it and no bill to be paid.

I like that store... :D

Archived