Gibson Brands Forums

Heart of Saturday Night

MorrisrownSal

I love this song, and I love this version.

It always reminds me of Harvest Moon, not just because one is in drop D and the other in open D, but even the subject matter, the rhythm, and the overall feel are related.

Edit: my mistake. Both songs are on drop D, not open D.

Thanks Keith & Nick. I was only introduced to it about a year ago by Willy Sunday, th chap I mentioned on a gotomsdos thread. Thinking of him made me think of the song... and here I am..

The song nails my early teen experiences growing up in Bay Ridge Brooklyn though... insulated community. Really a small town feel. 3rd avenue at night. Most bars per square mile. Walking and cruising on Saturday night. Beeping at girls. Meeting girls. Late nights at the diner. Saturday night ... made th rest of the week wash away.

Really nice, Sal.

I remember this from many, many years ago. Don't know by whom.

Where I grew up in Mesa Arizona we had one on the best open format radio stations in the Country in the mid-late '70's.

Anyhoo, great job.

Well done Sal.That sounded real good.That was the first Tom Waits album I bought. Album is the same name.I think it was his second album.He was writing perfect "nostalgia" songs from the start.He's always been "old" even when he was young.

It's probably the best Tom Waits album to get for anyone who has a reticence towards his wilder / weirder stuff.Very accessible and easy to listen to.

I missed this before...

Smooth, is right. You sound so relaxed and at-home here. That is about as good as a guitar can sound, imo, and you are clearly bonded with it. Your vocal is just so sweet, and your connection to the material is just right.

You mentioned you're in a bit of a creative funk, I believe? Well just keep wandering through the songs that brung ya; maybe there's respite there.

Thanks everyone. I love this song, and FB I will get that album.

Regarding funk... I have three songs musically ready to go, and can't find the words. I collaborated with another one with my gig partner... he fit words to my music. It just seems generic now... so I don't want to do that again.

The problem for me is, so much of the songs that touch me are written from experience ... despair, redemption, the blues, love...

Now don't get me wrong, I am thankful. But I have been married 27years. My kids are good. Well most of them... work is fine. Where can I reach for that oomph to write the lyrics? I feel like father knows best trying to write the blues. I am empathetic... but when I try that... I feel fake. I want to write a touching BAM song, and I'm the Beaver, so to speak.

Where can I reach for that oomph to write the lyrics?

Visualize. Find the subject matter you want to write about, arrange a mental scenario and immerse yourself. Put yourself there. What do you see? What do you hear? If there's another in the scene, what are they doing? How are they reacting to you? This need not be something you have personally experienced, but something you can imagine in detail and describe with words. As an example, here's what I visualized when I thought of a husband and wife in the throes of a serious conflict, describing the scene as much as the feedings involved.

If It Never Rains © 2006 Buc

I hang my head and stare at the floor again........you sigh aloud and turn in your chair

The shadows grow long on the wall as the sun goes down, at least we agree this just isn't fair.

Yesterday is a song we sang......tomorrow's a door at the end of the hall.

Today is the silence we wear as the darkness comes, deep in the night hear my hearts' call.......

Oo oo don't you let me go......glad, sad or mad they're all one and the same

Oo oo baby we both know......love never grows if it never rains.

Immerse yourself in a situation and describe it.

Thanks everyone. I love this song, and FB I will get that album.

Regarding funk... I have three songs musically ready to go, and can't find the words. I collaborated with another one with my gig partner... he fit words to my music. It just seems generic now... so I don't want to do that again.

The problem for me is, so much of the songs that touch me are written from experience ... despair, redemption, the blues, love...

Now don't get me wrong, I am thankful. But I have been married 27years. My kids are good. Well most of them... work is fine. Where can I reach for that oomph to write the lyrics? I feel like father knows best trying to write the blues. I am empathetic... but when I try that... I feel fake. I want to write a touching BAM song, and I'm the Beaver, so to speak.

Nah, be Eddie Haskell instead...blow some smoke up June's skirt.

Write a love song to your governor, maybe? (Make sure it has a bridge.) 🤷🏼‍♀️

Visualize. Find the subject matter you want to write about, arrange a mental scenario and immerse yourself. Put yourself there. What do you see? What do you hear? If there's another in the scene, what are they doing? How are they reacting to you? This need not be something you have personally experienced, but something you can imagine in detail and describe with words. As an example, here's what I visualized when I thought of a husband and wife in the throes of a serious conflict, describing the scene as much as the feedings involved.

If It Never Rains © 2006 Buc

I hang my head and stare at the floor again........you sigh aloud and turn in your chair

The shadows grow long on the wall as the sun goes down, at least we agree this just isn't fair.

Yesterday is song we sang......tomorrow's a door at the end of the hall.

Today is the silence we wear as the darkness comes, deep in the night hear my hearts' call.......

Oo oo don't you let me go......glad, sad or mad they're all one and the same

Oo oo baby we both know......love never grows if it never rains.

Immerse yourself in a situation and describe it.

Buc is spot on Sal.

There is experience and there is experience.While a tumultuous life of ups and downs may provide some songwriting fuel - the most important factor is imagination.Nothing fake about projecting a situation / story and extrapolating feelings / reactions.Elation and sadness are universal, just the back story changes.

I'd never write anything if it was about me.Project.

Stephen King has never met any vampires.

Here's the first verse of a song I just learnt by Warren Zevon

"Lord Byron's Luggage"

Lord Byron had a lot of luggage

He took it when he traveled far and wide

He didn't get to bathe very often

But he liked to change his clothes all the time

Strange eh..not much personal experience there.That said..yea writing a good set of lyrics ain't easy. Good book "Writing better Lyrics" Pat Pattinson?. Gillian Welch was a student of his.

Sal, regarding ispiration for songwriting, I have found that for me the key is the topic. If I can find a good topic, half the battle is won. Of course, I realize that my songs are of beginner quality, but I guess the effort is comparable.

I also believe it's easier to write songs that stay close to ones's own personality and preferences. As a person, I'm kind of introspective and not the happy-go-lucky type. So, as you know, the songs that tend to come most naturally to me are the slow minor key stuff [biggrin] Maybe the kind of songs you feel you should be writing, do not match very well with who you are? Just a thought.

I heard an interview a while back with Townes van Zandt when he said that none of his songs are strictly autobiographical, but all of them are emotionally autobiographical. I thought quite a bit about that and if I could apply it to my songs and my life. I didn't see much of anything particularly interesting enough in my ordinary and quite uneventfull life. Now about a year later I have songs about:

My mother dying of cancer

The sense of fullness I felt when our first child was born

Growing up in a small town where nothing much ever happened

My own fight with insecurities of who I am and where I'm going (approaching the big 5-0, you know...)

Social injustice I see most every day just walking into the grocery store

Childhood memories from my grandparents summer cabin

My sometimes difficult relationship with my dad (working on this one right now)

Working a dead-end factory job (which I luckily only did for a year and a half)

Memories from studying abroad and having to leave friends behind

Just normal events in a normal, everyday life.

I bet living in New Jersey, your life is probably much more exiting than mine [biggrin]

Lars

I heard an interview a while back with Townes van Zandt when he said that none of his songs are strictly autobiographical, but all of them are emotionally autobiographical. I thought quite a bit about that and if I could apply it to my songs and my life. I didn't see much of anything particularly interesting enough in my ordinary and quite uneventfull life. Now about a year later I have songs about:

Growing up in a small town where nothing much ever happened

Just normal events in a normal, everyday life.

Lars

Lars,

Great songs don't always have to be about cataclysmic events or earth-shattering revelations. Some of the best songs are about nothing more than everyday life.

It's not just what you write about; it's what you write.

Here's one example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FikZwgj89HI

Archived