Gibson Brands Forums

Pre 2016 Vintage Hummingbird

JuanCH

That is really shocking to hear and see as the hype seems to work besides the VOS etc.

I guess players/owners alike that have a Bird/Dove etc. could not wait another few or more years for their acoustic to open up and get the sound you can with the TORREFIED treatment the newer Gibson's are offering.

Takes out the fun of the search as you will almost/probably get the same sound as the other guys now since its been cooked. <_<

Cheers!

That is really shocking to hear and see as the hype seems to work besides the VOS etc.

I guess players/owners alike that have a Bird/Dove etc. could not wait another few or more years for their acoustic to open up and get the sound you can with the TORREFIED treatment the newer Gibson's are offering.

Takes out the fun of the search as you will almost/probably get the same sound as the other guys now since its been cooked. <_<

Cheers!

checked mine again, it was made on 5th of Dec., seems like a lot of folks want to get rid of their TV models since the baked top models appeared, never saw so many j-45 tv for sale. Gibsons marketing hype seems to work.

Whatever, hope you like yours!

I saw that as well. I watched a whole bunch of them, and they sold as fast as they were listed. So it's good. I had originally looked for a standard Hummingbird and soon realized if I waited and watched, I would find a TV for not a whole lot more money.... I couldn't be happier.... I am sure I will like the guitar.

yeah I think there is no real custom shop in Montana, others here on the board sure can tell you more.

Mine was build in december 2013, I'm not sure, but me thinks it was a limited run of 50 instruments, which doesn't mean that much also, since 2014 and 2015 also had their limited runs of tv birds.

Whatsoever, as I said, a great guitar no matter the label nonsense, please let us know how you like yours.

Not sure what you mean by "there is no real 'custom shop' in Montana". I"m sure you know there is no separate building. No special room. No dedicated staff of more experienced craftsmen. "Custom Shop" just means it's not a standard production model. You know, like auto-makers have models that are designated "LTD" because they have a few options and tweaks above the standard model.

Gibson Bozeman, being a relatively small operation (compared to Martin, Taylor, Takamine, etc) stopped taking custom orders from individual customers a few years ago and instead set up a program where their 5 star dealers, who are closer to the customers, could identify the specs for a 'special run' and stock and sell it themselves. The designation "Custom Shop" is not really 'marketing hype'. It is a program that ensures the end customer have access to a lot more variety, in a more controlled manufacturing process, than doing 'one offs'. I'm guessing the label comes off with a little alcohol and elbow grease.

Not sure what you mean by "there is no real 'custom shop' in Montana". I"m sure you know there is no separate building. No special room. No dedicated staff of more experienced craftsmen. "Custom Shop" just means it's not a standard production model. You know, like auto-makers have models that are designated "LTD" because they have a few options and tweaks above the standard model.

Gibson Bozeman, being a relatively small operation (compared to Martin, Taylor, Takamine, etc) stopped taking custom orders from individual customers a few years ago and instead set up a program where their 5 star dealers, who are closer to the customers, could identify the specs for a 'special run' and stock and sell it themselves. The designation "Custom Shop" is not really 'marketing hype'. It is a program that ensures the end customer have access to a lot more variety, in a more controlled manufacturing process, than doing 'one offs'. I'm guessing the label comes off with a little alcohol and elbow grease.

So would you think that all Gibson Shop will have all the labels they need to stick in the sound hole for all the models whether its in Montana or Nashville [tongue]

Maybe my words sounded a little harsh, gibsons designation is at least confusing, theres tons of gibsons out there that share the exact same specs but are labeled different.

hojo199 questions about the model he just bought seems to proof this.

another example: my 2005 j-45 historic collection (says it on the orange label + decal on back of the headstock) is in no way different than a j-45 from let say 2001 - 2004 without the historic designation.

When gibson wants the customers to know its a limited run, why not call it that?

Whatever, don't want to be rude, Gibson can call their guitars whatever they want, I'll buy whatever I want. Love my gibbys B)

Juanch, This model, like many other Gibsons, has continually evolved over time. The Labels inside tell you the actual model name. And, finally - there is a model named The Hummingbird Pro which bears no resemblance to an actual Hummingbird.

This is all off the top of my head. Other members here are much more knowledgeable about the evolution of the H'Bird.

I spent quite a bit of time shopping around before I settled on a Gibson Custom shop Limited Edition 1 of 50 Actual model name inside is "Hummingbird Figured Mahogany".

I played several of the Pro models and they were not what I wanted. I was comparing the sound to my 1997 "Early 60s" Hummingbird and the Pro just don't cut it.

I have owned several Epiphone's so naturally I had to try them. The only ones I found at GC were the Pro models and it don't take but a second to hag it back on the wall.