Gibson Brands Forums

Strap Locks For V

robertscott

My new V has the rather annoying habit of jumping out of its strap. Schaller strap locks seem to be the most popular but from what I've been reading they don't fit into Gibson strap holder thingy holes (excuse the technical jargon).

Can anyone recommend a decent alternative?

I've used the Jim Dunlop ones, but NOT ON A 'V' ! So I cant confirm what fits into the thingy holes.

I no longer have the guitar that had the strap locks (it came fitted with them), and you might need to watch what fits into your case, because those strap locks stick out quite a bit!

These day I use alternatives. I'm not arguing with the guys that love their strap locks, I'm just saying what works for me.

I have 3 of these ...

planet-waves-planet-lock-straps-113840.jpg

They can be removed easily. They dont damage the guitar finish. They are secure.

I also use 2 of these locking straps. They are also secure etc etc...

USA Lockstraps

Locks.jpg

I also use these on a couple of guitars. They fit over the existing strap pins over the strap. NOTE: you CANT easily remove the strap afterwards. So no good inside a snug case. Grolsh beer washers also work. They are secure. You can use any strap as long as you dont mind leaving it on permanently.

0990819000_merch_frt_001_nr.jpg

Good Luck.

used to be... you could use the stock screws that came with yer gibson to replace the pins with the schallers.

At least that has worked on all my (5) USA gibbies.. Screws are about the same size lengthwise. so your more or less just rescrewing the original screw back into the stock mounting hole. No thread mismatching to consider.

IME w/Dunlops, the screw they provide with the hardware are almost twice as long as the stock screws.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've used Schaller Straplocks for years. The first thing I do when I get a new guitar is put them on. Most of the time, it is the only modification I do. Breaking a toothpick off in the hole will add a little more wood if a larger screw is used on the original strap button. As another poster stated, one of the two sets of screws that come with the straplocks are longer than the original screws, securing it into new wood.

• 3 months later...

Here's a related query: any of you guys or gals keep the strap on in the case? Does a leather strap affect nitro?

My V spent a couple days on a hanger, and the rubber foam or whatever left marks. In a few days' time!

I have Schaller straplocks on both of my Flying V's and both of my Les Paul's. The neck screw from the Gibson fit just fine into the Schaller. On the end, I had to use the Schaller screw. It's thinner but not much, and longer, so it screwed further into the wood. It felt secure enough that I didn't feel I needed the toothpick in the hole to secure it on my Les Pauls.

That being said, I don't remember on my Flying V's. I've slept since then. I think it was different than the Les Pauls and I used the Schaller screws for each. They've been on my 81 V for 25 years or so and still holding up just fine. Check the screws on your V and see if they are the same size or different sizes. I can confirm that at least on the 2017 Les Pauls, they are different sizes but I'm not 100% sure on the V's. The good thing about that is that I have one strap, with Schallers, adjusted for the V's. And, one strap, with Schallers, adjusted for the Les Pauls, since they secure in different locations.

My only complaint about the Schallers is that they stick out a little further than others. On a V, the strap button is on the heel where the neck meets the body. When playing further up the neck, you have to be wary of that.

As to your other question about the straps and the finish, I've never kept straps on my guitars while in the case. I've always folded them and kept them in whatever compartment I had in the case. I also don't keep mine on stands when not playing. Cat + 2 kids = potential danger, as well as what the stand might do to the finish. I will put them on a stand if I'm taking a break for a few minutes, but always back in the case when done for the day.

Also, as a side note, when playing my V's sitting down, I'll usually sit with them and hold the guitar classical style. I put the V part on my right thigh, with the V being on either side. It doesn't slip off and smack other things that way. I play classical guitar as well, so that is a normal position for me and I often even put my Les Pauls like that, with the bottom curve resting on my left leg. Another thing I had to learn about my V's is just how far they stick out from the side of my body. Thankfully my first V in '83 was not a Gibson because I certainly smacked the ends on stuff a few times while getting used to it. I'd be happy to take pictures of the Schallers on my V's when I get home, if that will help you.

I have Schaller straplocks on both of my Flying V's and both of my Les Paul's. The neck screw from the Gibson fit just fine into the Schaller. On the end, I had to use the Schaller screw. It's thinner but not much, and longer, so it screwed further into the wood. It felt secure enough that I didn't feel I needed the toothpick in the hole to secure it on my Les Pauls.

That being said, I don't remember on my Flying V's. I've slept since then. I think it was different than the Les Pauls and I used the Schaller screws for each. They've been on my 81 V for 25 years or so and still holding up just fine. Check the screws on your V and see if they are the same size or different sizes. I can confirm that at least on the 2017 Les Pauls, they are different sizes but I'm not 100% sure on the V's. The good thing about that is that I have one strap, with Schallers, adjusted for the V's. And, one strap, with Schallers, adjusted for the Les Pauls, since they secure in different locations.

My only complaint about the Schallers is that they stick out a little further than others. On a V, the strap button is on the heel where the neck meets the body. When playing further up the neck, you have to be wary of that.

As to your other question about the straps and the finish, I've never kept straps on my guitars while in the case. I've always folded them and kept them in whatever compartment I had in the case. I also don't keep mine on stands when not playing. Cat + 2 kids = potential danger, as well as what the stand might do to the finish. I will put them on a stand if I'm taking a break for a few minutes, but always back in the case when done for the day.

Also, as a side note, when playing my V's sitting down, I'll usually sit with them and hold the guitar classical style. I put the V part on my right thigh, with the V being on either side. It doesn't slip off and smack other things that way. I play classical guitar as well, so that is a normal position for me and I often even put my Les Pauls like that, with the bottom curve resting on my left leg. Another thing I had to learn about my V's is just how far they stick out from the side of my body. Thankfully my first V in '83 was not a Gibson because I certainly smacked the ends on stuff a few times while getting used to it. I'd be happy to take pictures of the Schallers on my V's when I get home, if that will help you.

Thank you for the comprehensive reply!

Nah, no pics needed right now, thanks. For the time being, I'm sticking with rubber washers as and when needed, for the reason you mentioned: Schallers would stick out too much on the heel, and get in the way when I solo.

I, too, adhere to "guitars go in cases. That's what the case is for" (of course, with the Swedish climate... you do need a case). Plus, with nitro, it takes a surprisingly short amount of time for the finish to be affected. Like with this one - a few days! Crazy.

Archived