Gibson Brands Forums

Greatest Rock song Guitar Solos

Homz

If you don't vote stairway, then you will be struck down by the music gods.

I would put it like this

1. Stairway

2. Hotel California

3. Watchtower

4. Voodoo Chile

5. Free Bird

6. November Rain

7. Crazy Train

8. Comfortably Numb

I don't like to put a Clapton solo on the list, simply because they are always different, the others (mostly) are composed solos.

and Eruption should have been on the list.

If you don't vote stairway' date=' then you will be struck down by the music gods.

I don't like to put a Clapton solo on the list, simply because they are always different, the others (mostly) are composed solos.

and Eruption should have been on the list.[/quote']

Bah. The guitar gods would approve of anyone choosing songs that aren't on this list...it's too bland.

And for you to say Claptons solos are always different isn't true...solos are meant to evolve...but keep the essential, distinguishable components...like Cream's Crossroads or Born Under A Bad Sign.

I didn't vote...didn't like the choices. To leave off the legends like BB King, Albert King and the like...is just wrong. No Allman Bros. "Statesboro Blues"?? And holy crap...no GARY MOORE?? What about "Parisienne Walkways" or "Over The Hills And Far Away"??? I don't care what Guitar World or About.com say...sometimes you have to buck the system and go for the feeling.

Bah. The guitar gods would approve of anyone choosing songs that aren't on this list...it's too bland.

And for you to say Claptons solos are always different isn't true...solos are meant to evolve...but keep the essential' date=' distinguishable components...like Cream's Crossroads or Born Under A Bad Sign.

I didn't vote...didn't like the choices. To leave off the legends like BB King, Albert King and the like...is just wrong. No Allman Bros. "Statesboro Blues"?? And holy crap...no GARY MOORE?? What about "Parisienne Walkways" or "Over The Hills And Far Away"??? I don't care what Guitar World or About.com say...sometimes you have to buck the system and go for the feeling.[/quote']

What? To each his own. The guys on the list have stood proudly through the space of time. Perhaps I just don't get it, but although I do think BB king and Albert King were great artist I've never thought of either as being among the best soloist. I love "Over the Hills and Far Away",but there were only so many options on the poll list and again I'm sure there is an over all stand out solo in the song. I'll catch hell for this, but prior to this forum I had never heard of Gary Moore. Your best point IMHO is the Allman Brothers, but again there are only so many poll options. I did do us all a favor and deleted MetaliCrap. You could have thanked me for that.

IMO

These songs are not necessarily the hardest or that you couldn't possibly play them because they are to difficult. It's more a matter of would or do people want to play them. Also a further point the thread was specific to rock. Although I know the lines between blues and rock (or what I call rock) have been very difficult to identify.

I voted Stairway to Heaven' date='

but my favorite solos of all time are Clapton's solos on Crossroads and Duanne Allman's solo on Stateboro Blues... i appriciate those more because they were recorded live...but that's just me[/quote']

Originally I had "Crossroads" on the list. I just decided I liked "Layla" more.

Archived