Gibson Brands Forums

Cheaper alternative to gibson hummingbird?

AnPeter90

'Never heard of any J-30's that were not long scale. Anyone?

Also- 1990: Fullerplast finish, paddle-cut neck . . . not that there's anything wrong with that.

The J-30 might be a little esoteric for someone new to Gibsons, especially if the person was looking more for the total Hummingbird experience.

I have an '87 J30 and it is short scale and compares very favorably to short scale 'birds. I currently have it for sale on Cincinnati, Ohio CL. PM me if you find yourself interested.

That's interesting. What does "SORS" stand for?

Wondering if the OP will ever check back on this thread to see these suggestions; AnPeter90 has joined so many forums in so many languages the last week or two.

That's interesting. What does "SORS" stand for?

Wondering if the OP will ever check back on this thread to see these suggestions; AnPeter90 has joined so many forums in so many languages the last week or two.

SORS stood for Symbiotic Oriented Receptor System. A piezo,it has a thin polymer film glued to the bottom of the saddle and another brass strip glued to the bridge plate. A lot less intrusive than the braided wire UST. The '86 Gibson sales brochure listed a J45,J30,J180 and J200 all with the S.O.R.S. system. As I recall it's not a bad sounding system though the knobs are a bit pronounced.

Archived