Gibson Brands Forums

Same Song Recorded Two Different Ways

BluesKing777

I recorded the same song twice - first one through a Neumann KM184 mic to my A&H mixer and to my iMac/Garageband., and the second version through a Fishman under saddle pickup to my Fishman Spectrum Aura DI (J45 sound image), then to my Boss VE8 Acoustic/Vocal processor mixer gadget with the setting I would use for live gigs and vocals in a Shure SM58....run to my A&H mixer and iMac/Garageband.

So, 2 versions of Robert Johnson's "Good Friend" played on my (wonderful) 1959 Gibson LG3....I noticed after that the guitar is a bit louder in the first track and the vocals are a bit louder in the 2nd track....but you know.... and a hum on the 2nd track all the way through!

https://soundcloud.com/bk7-3/goodfriend7

https://soundcloud.com/bk7-3/goodfriend7b

BluesKing777.

Thanks.

Main box?

Ha Ha Ha Hee, for the ones here that know me well.... [biggrin]

I walked in to a little guitar shop and thought..."Hmm, I have more nice acoustic guitars than this shop!"

I went mad after I gave up smoking a number of years back and bought many acoustics - so my main guitar recently would be my latest and newest strings - Cargill custom 00 - but I rotate around the others.

Photobucket is still playing up but I managed to copy one photo of the LG3 from last Summer on holodays:

Hols9_zpsqqurgvwx.jpg

BluesKing777.

Apples and oranges- both nice recordings. Love that Neumann KM184, though; even found some warmth on the LG-3. The light touch of reverb on the back side was appreciated, and just a little more noticeable on the second track, which sounded a little more lively.

Photo stuff: thanks for noting that Photobucket has been on the fritz lately; a big chunk of the day was spent troubleshooting the ‘puter trying to find the source of the spinning Apple beach ball.

Nice photo of the LG on holiday- 'don’t think the ocean would’ve looked as blue without that towel, and . . . you just had to add the shades to the guitar to make it an official Blues King scene (?).

Thanks.

Main box?

Ha Ha Ha Hee, for the ones here that know me well.... [biggrin]

I walked in to a little guitar shop and thought..."Hmm, I have more nice acoustic guitars than this shop!"

I went mad after I gave up smoking a number of years back and bought many acoustics - so my main guitar recently would be my latest and newest strings - Cargill custom 00 - but I rotate around the others.

Photobucket is still playing up but I managed to copy one photo of the LG3 from last Summer on holodays:

Hols9_zpsqqurgvwx.jpg

BluesKing777.

That I must say one Gademm pretty box there Blues!! woot-woot!!

Thought it was a J35 for a sec until the p/g gave it away. [thumbup]

Keep 'em coming Blues! Was watching Tom Waits last night and now this? Gaddem!! [thumbup]

Flip Flop's and guitars is where it's at these days!

Peace!

Thanks 62B!

What the first recording represents is the joy of home recording with just one decent mic - guitar and vocal take up the whole soundscape, nothing carved out - a slice of the truth from a spot at the front. No 3D like when you are actually playing it but close.... real acoustic! You can do that live with a nice PA system and good operators, but it hard to get any 'level' without feedback. Don't even hope to add a friend.

So the second track is to me, 'easy reality'. The same guitar has the undersaddle pickup which is great for the purpose of getting some electricity, but without gadgets, to me, sounds like cardboard tearing with every note. So we run the pickup to the Fishman Aura box which adds 'the sound of an acoustic that has been recorded in a nice studio' - the Fishman promise anyway. Now I know people think it sounds like an electric but to me, it is not as bad as a magnetic soundhole pickup or an untreated undersaddle. Last time I used it live, a friend said I had a really beautiful guitar sound. That is the money! Not pure acoustic air, but a nice sound. A Shure mic and the lead from the Aura goes into the Boss.... vocal got a bit of room reverb and 'enhance', which is a bit of eq and compression designed to bring the vocal forward in the mix. Works great! I have all the settings saved in a preset, including the vocal/guitar balance. Theory says to run this into a PA and you get the same sounds you practice with, and I have some in-ear monitors (Shure) to prevent feedback - no foldback wedges needed!

BluesKing777.

Thanks.

I'm glad you liked the first track, but that isn't the point of the 2 recordings.

The first track is the 'impossible' to get consistently live, home recording with a mic. The second track is a way of getting consistency between practice and gig, with lots of knobs to control eq and feedback and levels and effects and monitors and....be consistent. The second system sounds great through a PA really loud, the first track with just one mic played live is going to scream like the Banshee! And if you want foldback, you may as well go home early....

BluesKing777.

Thanks...

Look at it from another angle then, class, we are not getting the message through! [thumbdn] Who would want to be a teacher? Phew.

So the first track is recorded with a condenser mic and I wear headphones for monitoring. You can do that live if you want - some good in ear monitors will be good, but you would never get the sound of the recording if you use the stage floor monitors - instant feedback loop. You can have the monitors if you have the level way down so you can just hear yourself. I'm sure a good technician could get you a result but where are they when needed? (Off with the rich guitarist!). But the mic I used (Neumann KM184) is very sensitive and I recorded both guitar and vocal with it about an arm's length back from me (I believe that one arm's length is One Cubitt in ancient measurements! You know : "How much further to Rome, Boss?" "350,000 Cubitts, Slobio!"), to stop getting all the plosives from my mouth and a few scratchy noises from the right hand picker sounds on the guitar top. Live, that mic sucker will pick up everything including the train going past one mile away! Now one gig, I had the Better Half sitting with her friends at a table and the basic Shure SM58 picked them talking loudly so badly, I had to say....psst..STFU - you are louder than I am!

Now you can do the occasional gig with the mic like that but after a while it is a real drag, which is why everyone has a...aha...pickup! Now I have all kinds of the pickups that I have tried over the years and I am like everyone here that has replied - I want the first track sound and not the second. But it ain't so! [unsure] So my second track has the gadgetry I need to get over it - it can be used really loud and sound good (has feedback controls) and with practice to get used to sounds, it is really nice. That's the way it is.... the live playin' Truth. :mellow:

BluesKing777.

Edit : Photobucket isn't working AT ALL now! [cursing]

Archived