Gibson Brands Forums

So, WTH is "Great Tone?"

charlie brown

My position isn't that tone doesn't exist. It's that it's not important. People didn't leave your gigs when they heard you play through a SS amp instead of a tube amp. That's because they didn't come to listen to tones. They came to listen to songs...

I agree with the general thrust of this but only up to a point.

First-off please understand that fundamentally, IMO, the most important aspect of any performance by a million miles is the skill and talent of the player. No question whatsoever...

Whether or not Seasick Steve, say, obsesses overly about his 'tone' (as in the vid clip at the top of the page) would be interesting to hear as I, personally, don't imagine the choice of kit he uses is of fundamental importance for his needs; any guitar going through his signal chain is going to sound pretty much the same.

OTOH Jay's experience shows that there really can be such a thing as a player's tone which is discerned as being 'better' than how it had sounded previously even by a "layman" (through the use of, in this case, different amplification). Whether or not 95% of the audience can hear - or even if they can, could care less about - any 'improvement' in tone is debatable but I'm of the opinion it's in our own best interests to sound as good as we possibly can.

One other aspect is the type of audience for whom one is performing. I can see how for a Pro band doing the circuit of pubs, clubs, bars and suchlike the audience is merely listening to the band as a form of entertainment and would be, in the main, of an uncritical bent. There are other occasions, however, where a band is playing to an audience composed largely of people who are, themselves, musicians and this changes the way in which the performance will be received.

If I go to a '50s Jazz Hop then I expect the band to be, simply, decent enough in skill and entertaining enough in demeanor in order for those who wish to take to the dance floor to enjoy themselves. The other side of the coin could be illustrated by the time when I went to see BB King in concert. On that occasion my expectations from the performers was very different and had Mr. King NOT had a 'Great Tone' I would have been somewhat disappointed.

Happily, I needn't have worried...

Pip.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was your mood. You felt "it". you connected with the sound because you were thrilled to have your gear back, stop me if im wrong your sound was better made you "FEEL" better got you making love to your guitar, didnt it? Your mood was what the song called for because your gear was giving you what you wanted, missed and needed. That is what the guy heard in your sound, the ever multiplying intangible force of YOUR mood. (better gear too hahaha) I like your post. You give hope.

The same is even true with gear as simple as strings...i needed strings badly one day and i happened to be at a non-music store place that sold them, i grabbed a few packs and when i went to use this no name brand the sound like to have made me sick to my stomach, i thought i was going to hurl. went back to a music store immediately and threw those crappy ones out...saving the day

You have a point. Because I was happier with what I was I was hearing from my guitar and amp, it made it more comfortable for me to play. If I wanted to hear a pure clean sound, I got it. If I wanted slight breakup, bluesy crunch or massive distortion (but smooth sounding :rolleyes: ) it was there.

So in conclusion....I have no idea. [biggrin]

You have a point. Because I was happier with what I was I was hearing from my guitar and amp, it made it more comfortable for me to play. If I wanted to hear a pure clean sound, I got it. If I wanted slight breakup, bluesy crunch or massive distortion (but smooth sounding :rolleyes: ) it was there.

So in conclusion....I have no idea. [biggrin]

When you enjoy the sounds you make it inspires and if you look at how much soul a performer puts into it the energy feedback from the crowd returns as much and it just loops into better and better.

There is an intangible force at work, here, no two minds can come together without creating a 3rd intangible entity, so a band comes together to create the bands own lifeforce, though it cannot be seen it most certainly is heard. One member leaves the life force has to be rebuilt, in most cases it is never the same. Can only hope it is better.

As a drummer I think tone is EVERYTHING. Even I played a chrome snare drum which was not my preferred choice. But my cymbals were a huge part of my drum tones and they were soooo sweet. Mostly were sabian aa, 16, 18, crashes, 18 china, (omg), 14 hh sabians made in italy, the original first run, (omg), and a 21" zildjian rock ride became vintage under my ownership, and a zildjian 14 A crash, Huge part of the band during solos the bell cut through everything, the crashes on accents or especially chord changes with a bass drum , OMG they truly sang. Many drummers have chose some cymbals that literally ruin the band, like most paiste. Alex VH is one of the worlds best rock drummers but his tone is garbage. listen to vertigo by rush. @ 35 seconds...

Those are DW's peart had been using tama up until around that time. what a difference. You really ;will have a hard time finding a tomtom that sound as good as DW's but that is pretty subjective i suppose as is guitar tone.

I know i got off of the guitar tone, but the tone of your drummer is as important to the bands tone, allot of which is actually controlled at the board, but gear is as relevant in this regard.

Then the bass...then the MOST important part of every bands overall sound,is the mix. My favorite ever mix on a studio release, is Nazareth Hair of the Dog, full album. Every note from every instrument is mixed with perfect clarity. All time fav mix right there

I have enjoyed rambling on and on with you guys, turns out... sorry if i went on too much

Archived