Gibson Brands Forums

Guardless

E-minor7

It's Friday and time to present something talked about a few times here.

As some might know, I have been through a 1500 days Hummingbird A/B/C/D/E containing 3 TV's, 1 Standard and 1 torrefied Vintage.

2 almost similar guitars remained.

A traditional white rosette True Vintage made in April 2012 and one black rosette ! ditto from May that same year.

Both are very good and though they appear like two drops water (almost), they still hold significant differences.

Though sharing the same voice, May is smoothest, has the highest nectar-factor and is looser than the stronger, bigger sounding, wider string-spaced, higher bridged April.

Last fall I went through something special. May's wildlife was beginning to fade (which isn't a problem), still to spare April,

but primarily to underline the differences between the two, and because Southern Jumbos are incredible cool, I decided to get a new neutral red pick-guard.

So following common advice, the exciting job began. Naphtha, dental-floss and a plastic-card being the code, , , , plus of course patience, care and touch.

Must admit it got me up and glowing - especially as a high crack-sound scratched the air during the immensely concentrated process and things

at some point in the middle seemed stuck. The reason btw. the operation was approached from more sides than one.

As seen three strings are removed and I started from the deep tip toward the lower bout, but soon launched a second angle from the point by the sound-hole.

In that way the floss could 'saw' over a broader front and thus move more effectively. Phew, , , things got tough under the bird and it was quite a relief to finally reach the butterfly.

Here is the top just after we got through. Looks a bit dramatic and actually it is/was - not something you do everyday, but a heavy experience indeed.

Early ~ The%20Bird%20guard%20fix%20-%20it%201.jpg

Nov. ~ The%20Bird%20guard%20fix%20-%20it%203.jpg

2016 ~ The%20Bird%20guard%20fix%20-%20it%202.jpg

Expect pictures of the final result during Sunday - Enjoy your weekend folks

My dumb opinion...anything's better than Gibson's 'embroidered' pick guards. Hate 'em both, Dove and Bird. That red's pretty cool, though. I'd love for my '35 to have no guard, but it's orig and I'd never touch it.

If you can find it, a product called 'Goof Off' takes the glue away.

My dumb opinion...anything's better than Gibson's 'embroidered' pick guards. Hate 'em both, Dove and Bird. That red's pretty cool, though. I'd love for my '35 to have no guard, but it's orig and I'd never touch it.

If you can find it, a product called 'Goof Off' takes the glue away.

What red?

To avoid misunderstandings, the red guard in photo 2 is the original turned around to show the messy, but fascinating still sticky and rubber-like glue.

Let the eye botanize and see the well-known trumpet-flower, , , , from behind.

To avoid misunderstandings, the red guard in photo 2 is the original turned around to show the messy, but fascinating still sticky and rubber-like glue.

Let the eye botanize and see the well-known trumpet-flower, , , , from behind.

HA! Still like the red guard.

Funny how the tan line appears more noticeable where there is less burst - on the lower bout. I guess It is the wood itself that UV rays darken, and not the stain. Or, put differently, the stain protects the wood underneath. How can anyone not love tan lines?

@jedzep - In fact I learned to love both the Dove branch and Hartford Snyders garden 4-5-6 years ago and really like to have them around.

Especially a semi-faded flora/fauna of the Birds does something to me.

But I know what you mean. And still sometimes find the half folkloristic half pop-arty decoration a little disturbing - like too loud for certain situations.

@fortyearspickn - I think you are right. It's the wood, not the lacquer or paint. Well, for 95 % anyway.

Regarding tan-lines I'm not too keen on them. As seen, the Bird has one in the lighter area and I would have preferred it without. Maybe the comin' summer will level things out.

@EA - There is a remarkable difference, which you should see as a cado to your 3-4 years old plast-guard bien' a part of the Bird-sound theory.

The guitar below, which was the loudest and least Bird-sounding of my two 2012's, is now freer, slightly less glazed, more direct and even stronger than before.

However I don't think it would be worth recording an A/B - the differences on tape would be to vague to hear anything interesting. Which doesn't mean this isn't highly notable for the ears when playing the thing. As the glue was still sticky, I went back'n'forth for circa 10 days and heard the same change in every mood, mind and degree of moisture.

And it turned out I really liked the sound without the guard and find the sight intriguing too.

The body shape and the burst comes across very raw and I actually find the look very cool.

All in all the stripped Bird now represents the absolute basic Gibson hog square, which is a statement in itself.

The planned red replacement guard is on stand-by - the guitar stays as it is.

Last ~ The%20Bird%20guard%20fix%20-%20it%205%20it.jpg

fall ~ The%20Bird%20guard%20fix%20-%20it%206-5.jpg

Im going to have to get used to the guardless Bird, I feel like im looking at a naked woman i dont know.

And .... I think Gibson should make you an official Hummingbird sampler, like the guy the beer companies invite over to give feedback on beer innovaitons. I reckon Gibson should use you when thinking about tweaks on next years round of innovations titled the Very Vintage 2018 Hummingbird.

Im going to have to get used to the guardless Bird, I feel like im looking at a naked woman i dont know.

And .... I think Gibson should make you an official Hummingbird sampler, like the guy the beer companies invite over to give feedback on beer innovaitons. I reckon Gibson should use you when thinking about tweaks on next years round of innovations titled the Very Vintage 2018 Hummingbird.

Hahe, , , as a matter of fact I've thinking about the comin' Bird-move from Bozeman.

After the torrefied hit form last year, it's beyond my imagination to foresee the next move. Maybe some relic-thing, , , a blonde version or the combo of those.

Still I would say yes to a place in the Hummingbird-panel. With yourself and Father of Pearl as competent bystanders.

@jedzep - In fact I learned to love both the Dove branch and Hartford Snyders garden 4-5-6 years ago and really like to have them around.

Especially a semi-faded flora/fauna of the Birds does something to me.

But I know what you mean. And still sometimes find the half folkloristic half pop-arty decoration a little disturbing - like too loud for certain situations.

@fortyearspickn - I think you are right. It's the wood, not the lacquer or paint. Well, for 95 % anyway.

Regarding tan-lines I'm not too keen on them. As seen, the Bird has one in the lighter area and I would have preferred it without. Maybe the comin' summer will level things out.

@EA - There is a remarkable difference, which you should see as a cado to your 3-4 years old plast-guard bien' a part of the Bird-sound theory.

The guitar below, which was the loudest and least Bird-sounding of my two 2012's, is now freer, slightly less glazed, more direct and even stronger than before.

However I don't think it would be worth recording an A/B - the differences on tape would be to vague to hear anything interesting. Which doesn't mean this isn't highly notable for the ears when playing the thing. As the glue was still sticky, I went back'n'forth for circa 10 days and heard the same change in every mood, mind and degree of moisture.

And it turned out I really liked the sound without the guard and find the sight intriguing too.

The body shape and the burst comes across very raw and I actually find the look very cool.

All in all the stripped Bird now represents the absolute basic Gibson hog square, which is a statement in itself.

The planned red replacement guard is on stand-by - the guitar stays as it is.

Last ~ The%20Bird%20guard%20fix%20-%20it%205%20it.jpg

fall ~ The%20Bird%20guard%20fix%20-%20it%206-5.jpg

Wait...this is the same guitar? Where did the tan lines go? Did I miss something again?

Wait...this is the same guitar? Where did the tan lines go? Did I miss something again?

No retouch - deliberately sat up 3 lightings here.

The direct blitzzz, emphasizing the tan-line, which is in reality is weaker than on these 3 photos.

The natural light through the window lifting the burst towards the sun.

And the same sofa-position with cirrostratus-clouds passing making the top darker.

If you cut out a piece of fabric or cardboard in the shape of the outline of the outer edge of the guard to cover the top around the discolored area and hang your guitar in normal room light, the two tones will eventually meld. It took about 7 mos for the tan line from the incorrect double guard someone glued on to my old 00018 to disappear. I had it in and out of the house, sometimes in strong sun, but never in extreme temps either way.

If you cut out a piece of fabric or cardboard in the shape of the outline of the outer edge of the guard to cover the top around the discolored area and hang your guitar in normal room light, the two tones will eventually meld. It took about 7 mos for the tan line from the incorrect double guard someone glued on to my old 00018 to disappear. I had it in and out of the house, sometimes in strong sun, but never in extreme temps either way.

Dude, you are hard-core, and I respect you for it.

Really like your work-out (the picture is high carat guitar-nerd-material), but don't think the example will be followed here.

I simply play the Bird(s) too often to do something like that and as said and shown, the t-line isn't dramatic.

However I have had 2 other guitars in special sun-treatment.

My better and better, highly admired, but too pale acoustic Firebird and a Lakewood Barytone J-14.

http://butikk.joarsk...L.R.Baggs_1.jpg

Found that the German deep-horse (originally pale as snow w. 2 % baby-food-green in that top-spruce) was much easier to tan than the Gibson, which only very slowly starts to warm up.

Rather strange.

The color settled in to a decent amber level and 2 light coats of lacquer gives it a base coat, but it will soon need either a full professionally applied satin coat, as I can already feel slight top strumming wear from the light brushing of my little finger, or...the dreaded pick guard.

In this light the straight edges of the old double guard are faintly visible but I think the color will continue to blend, as the guitar hangs in a day lit room and is never cased.

No more money for stressful rescues like this. That's probably good at my advanced age. I don't want travel the path from hardcore to crazy too quickly.

Archived