Gibson Brands Forums

Guardless

E-minor7

I'd like to remove the top double pick guard on my F-212XL but it's been there for almost 30 years and I don't know if I could stand the tan lines.

It would be more difficult in the case of your Guild. I had to sand down my top anyway to remove some deep strumming scars so I had a head start on the shadow. It still took months of UV exposure to get it to where it is now.

That is a wild looking guard. That's the way it came, I assume. Some crazy night I'm sure I'd talk myself into pulling that mother, though. The guitar has a beautiful shape. Don't know what they were thinking in the design phase.

I just looked at some older models. Don't see any double guards. Is yours not factory original?

Yeah, it's factory. I bought it new in '77 and was able to play four. This was the only one with a double guard and no markers on the fret board. I preferred the look of one of the others but it was the one I liked best. Tim Buckley played a Guild 12 with double guards, and before he went to Yamahas John Denver often played a double-guard F50R 6-string...

buckley_zpsedatchrr.jpgdenver_zpsoyoeevpj.jpg

Kinda like double-guards, but I'm almost sure they inhibit the bass.

Contrary to the thread-Bird, I had one on my Mart. HD-28V to dampen the very lively top.

Got too much though and there is now a leather-patch instead.

But sure, P-Schooner - your tan-line would probably be too disturbing.

Apropos -

https://reverb.com/n...aaa28b-55336685

There is a town in North Hemisphero

Dream comfort memory to spare

And in my mind I still need a place to go

All my changes were there

Leave us

Guardless,Guardless,Guardless,Guardless

We're all coming over for drinks. Leave a light on.

There is a town in North Hemisphero

Dream comfort memory to spare

And in my mind I still need a place to go

All my changes were there

Leave us

Guardless,Guardless,Guardless,Guardless

But carry on....re-guardless.....yuk, yuk..... <_<

(I wonder what the Lowdens with the clear guards look like years down the track?)

BluesKing777.

That's funny. Not in Florida or Australia, though.

We've had several over 100F degree days - 40C, in Sydney the past fortnight.Bit cooler today.

National holiday here today "Australia Day". So I will a few of those beers made in the Great Southern Land.....Coronas! [biggrin]. Actually a very popular drink here.

Nice guard Sal.Classy Gibson knock off that guitar.

Ouch! Fair though. Ima go drive my Silverado, in my authentic Levis, with my J50 and Stetson felt. I wont let my guard down again...

I drive a Silverado, wear a Stetson, and play a J-50. The Levis, however, have been traded for Lees due to quality control issues. You forgot the Justin boots😄

Archived