Gibson Brands Forums

Saw Van Morrison Last night

jannusguy2

Been a long time since I saw Van Morrison. Hope the show was good. Nice to hear Gibsons were played.

20 yrs. since I'd last seen him. Then he was touring to support the "One Night in San Fransisco" live album so the band was much bigger and Georgie Fame was along for the ride. This show was much more subdued but he hasn't lost his voice or his taskmaster approach with his band. He was an early influence on my musical leanings and can basically do no wrong in my book. Glad I was there to see him again as it will likely have been the last time.

Very cool, man. I've never seen him live.

I did go see Dylan a short time back in Paducah, Ky., for the first time. The stage command was quite noticeable, and the sheer experience he exuded. He never spoke a single word. Did the show, and an encore, which I actually didn't expect and went on his way. Good little Band.

These legends are here for a short time now, it seems, and you've been blessed to see far more than I. I'm sure it's been quite an experience for you.

[thumbup]

I have framed artwork in my office of Miles Davis and Hank Williams. I also have a framed and autographed Van Morrison piece. I always felt he (Van) was the merging, musically, of the first two. So they hang close to one another as a reminder of how they are all ( to me anyway) a musical amalgam.

IMG_0529_zpsaxuddh9i.jpg

Times have surely changed.

I saw Morrison in the early '70s, after the release of Tupelo Honey ('71). He was either drunk, high, or both, and appeared totally disinterested, all the while being rather belligerent with the audience.

This was quite a letdown, since I'd followed & enjoyed his work from the first recordings with Them. Still hold his music in very high regard, but man, that was a lousy show!

I saw Morrison in the early '70s, after the release of Tupelo Honey ('71). He was either drunk, high, or both, and appeared totally disinterested, all the while being rather belligerent with the audience.

This was quite a letdown, since I'd followed & enjoyed his work from the first recordings with Them. Still hold his music in very high regard, but man, that was a lousy show!

I had the same experience with Ray Charles

I hate when that happens and doing what I do for a living I see a lot of it. Some of them are trying to deal with stage fright and others are just load outs.

The drunk Van was the one I was subjected to also plus he had his girlfriend-du-jour on stage with him and kept trying to get her to sing his songs for him. It was a mess and I never would spend money on a ticket to see him since. Generally I've stayed away from guys and bands from my youth because of the disappointment factor in their sound as they've aged (I had a friend call me at one o'clock in the morning once to rant about how disgusting a Dylan concert he just walked out of was). But this past fall when Neil Young decided to finally play Telluride for the first time I took a chance and bought tickets for Friday and Saturday night and I have to say that it ranked right up there in the top ten concerts I've seen in my life. He and his band were stellar. So, you never know for sure up front.

The drunk Van was the one I was subjected to also plus he had his girlfriend-du-jour on stage with him and kept trying to get her to sing his songs for him. It was a mess and I never would spend money on a ticket to see him since. Generally I've stayed away from guys and bands from my youth because of the disappointment factor in their sound as they've aged (I had a friend call me at one o'clock in the morning once to rant about how disgusting a Dylan concert he just walked out of was). But this past fall when Neil Young decided to finally play Telluride for the first time I took a chance and bought tickets for Friday and Saturday night and I have to say that it ranked right up there in the top ten concerts I've seen in my life. He and his band were stellar. So, you never know for sure up front.

The problem was pretty much the same when we were younger, when you think about it. Some of the guys from our youth who are still performing are still obnoxious, drunk, and/or high. They were that way then, they're that way now.

Others have gotten their stuff together, and give great shows.

Croz is an example of the latter, or at least he was when I saw him last year.

Let's face it. If you're of a certain age, your youthful idols are your age, or older. How much better have we all gotten with time? Present company excepted, of course...

The music business is a grind. I count myself fortunate to have seldom been let down. The few disappointments--no names, please-- mainly reflected that. It's a hard life. For the record, I saw Mr Morrison twice while he was out with Georgie Fame. He tore it up once (Orpheum) and gave a pro show (outdoor shed) on the other.

I saw an in the mid 80s at the Garden State Art Center in NJ on a summer night outdoors. We hoped for magic, and we got anger. He wouldn't play his popular tunes. I remember him being combative with the audience. His attitude was certainly different than Glen Frey's.

Love his music though. I only got into B tracks later in life.

Glad you saw the Good Van, jannusguy2! It seems that everyone I have ever talked to after seeing him either has a good or bad story, no in between.

Luckily mine is a good one:

I saw him in the late 90's when he played a short tour of only the West Coast with Dylan and Joni Mitchell. His set was stellar. No chit chat, but a great performance. There was one oddity (to me) about his set. His band played the first two songs without him. His male back up singer sang lead on those two songs. That was not odd to me because I know there is a soul/R & B revue tradition of having the band do a few numbers without the featured performer to start the show. The oddity was that one of the songs performed by the band without Van (and sung by the male back up singer) was one of Van's own songs ("Sweet Thing").

I wasn't upset, just amused. I felt like yelling "Hey the guy who wrote and recorded that song is back stage. How about getting him to do that one?". [biggrin]

Where was he playing?

Clearwater, Fl. His "tour" consisted of 2 nights in Vegas and 3 nights in Clearwater. The 3 night run I saw broke the venue's box office gross record. This is a PAC that's consistently in the top 10 nationally for attendance and grosses. So, that's no small feat!

Archived