Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird TV Strings?

hojo199

Hi All,

So I got the 2013 Bird TV home, got the action where I want it (little truss rod and a little sanding of the saddle -- definitely little). The guitar came to me with EJ16s. They don't seem to be doing much for this guitar. It sounds rather ordinary at the moment. Of course, I realize I have had the strings on and off the guitar 3-4 times so it's time to change them.

So here are my choices (all light gauge):

•  
  • D'Adarrio Nickel-Bronze
  • Martin Retro (monel)
  • Martin Lifespan
  • More EJ16

What do you all think? I have like zero experience with these guitars....

HJ

Add DR Sunbeams to that list, you will be pleasantly surprised, especially compared to the EJ-16's which always sounded rather thin and tinny to my ears.

I actually do have a set of those around (It's like a music store here as far as strings go ....) :rolleyes:

The real voice of any acoustic guitar lies not in, but behind the strings. Only as the steel fades the true nature of the creature begins to shine through and show you what you got – and what you can do with it.

For an outstanding and unique guitar like the Bird this gets even more pronounced. The real Hummingbird-sound is to be found in rather broken in even faded strings. There you have the clarity, sublime definition, the at at sane time dry primal core and dripping honey.

Gibson Montana claims they send the instruments out with Masterbuilt Lights Bronze 80/20 and I believe them.

Got these strings on both my contemporary Birds as I speak and clearly recognize exactly what I fell for in the shop.

They bring the virtues mentioned above forward – plus a massive core and a smokey, yet glazed shadow too.

Can only recommend them and it's hereby done.

Another vote for Masterbuilt 80/20. Phosphor bronze was my string of choice on the Hummingbird Standard I had some years back and I went straight to them when I bought the Vintage model........made the guitar too dark, as did PB from any maker. Steady diet of 80/20 now. But do experiment with yours as each is an individual.

Another vote for Masterbuilt 80/20. Phosphor bronze was my string of choice on the Hummingbird Standard I had some years back and I went straight to them when I bought the Vintage model........made the guitar too dark, as did PB from any maker. Steady diet of 80/20 now. But do experiment with yours as each is an individual.

Interesting. I have some Lifespan 80/20 sets here because they sound good on the J45.... Didn't want to go coated thouh. I have some Masterbuilt PB that I don't like at all.... Ummm.... I could throw the Lifespans on and see....

Archived