Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
62burst

Are there any maple Hummingbirds that aren't RED ?

A nice tip of the hat to that small number of early 60's maple Hummingbirds that were said to be made of surplus Dove bodies, but contemporary 'birds that have not yet faded to that nice Iced Tea burst are rendered in such a strong red, that the Viper Blue ones pale in comparison. There are some more standard bursts, but they seem to show up on only the bling-laden Vine models. Are there any other non-red bursted maple Hummingbirds out there?

..............are you thinking of acquiring one per say? [thumbup]

Just "curious" ; ) .

Yes.

What year is that, Mr. Hall, and is that herringbone binding? A bit less red there, but how 'bout the front? Does seem less red, more towards amber, but no fair- it frames the quilt beautifully.

My 'Bird is maple with Cherry Sunburst. I've had it for not quite two years.

IMG_0204.jpg

IMG_0202.jpg

A 2014 Quake? Nice. Red (beautiful on the back, I think I recall seeing the back's X-pattern on yours before), but surely a nice place to visit.

As our resident 'Bird nerd has not checked in with any other options in non-red maple Hummingbirds, it would seem that you can have any color maple Hummingbird, as long as it is red.

One other option was a Wine Red Montana Limited model that Wildwood's Greg K demonstrated in a YouTube video:

pQQIYIQ.png

This BlingFest was done in a nice burst, but then the inlay department didn't know when to put down the bucket of sea shells:

v9P2ExU.png

I want a maple Bird, loved the one i sampled in Oz over Xmas.

Who was the member who recently bought one and was meant to post soome footage but didint in the end??

I want a maple Bird, loved the one i sampled in Oz over Xmas.

Who was the member who recently bought one and was meant to post soome footage but didint in the end??

Yes, EA, that was with the Viper Blue HB in this NGD: Link.

But the notes say hog like all the other wines. . ?

Yes, afraid so- 'tis hog. Just did a little search, and was able to find one at GC, showing mahogany. Oh well, wishful thinking… It came up on a YouTube search of hummingbird maple.

Yes, afraid so- 'tis hog.

You never know - all sorts of all sorts are possible. If quilted or flamed maple go with burgundy red is another question.

My taste says no, , , but I also find those almost fluorescent orange maple-Birds extremely flashy.

Try amber please, Bozeman. .

Just "curious" ; ) .

What year is that, Mr. Hall, and is that herringbone binding? A bit less red there, but how 'bout the front? Does seem less red, more towards amber, but no fair- it frames the quilt beautifully.

2007. Not herringbone trim.

2007. Not herringbone trim.

Here is the front. Thanks, 62 burst. I keep it because it sounds and feels good to me. Hope you find one for yourself.

Along with a couple of others, eBay sent me this one yesterday - a bit otherly, but there you go.

http://www.ebay.com/...0?ul_noapp=true

Appreciate the thought, and the "what if" did come to mind, as there are natural finished ones out there. 'Even considered a D.I.Y. added burst as an option. Probably not an option here, though, as eBay seller "Convicthead" seems bent on another term of hard time for attempted highway robbery.

Maybe someday, my head will get around the red (bursts), and I'll wonder why everyone has that look on their face as though they just bit into a lemon . . .

Maple, Burst, J-185?

Thanks for the suggestion, Dave- it allowed me to stumble into one of the more rippingest, and not too coincidentally funnier Greg Koch/ Wildwood videos. The idea of combining maple on a Hummingbird was trying to get some impossible combination of clarity in the low end in a guitar that was also a great strummer (which is probably not the 185's strong suit). Every guitar is a bit of a compromise, I suppose.

Greg K tearing it up, and cracking us up, using a guitar for the expression of someone who's happy to be alive, and nothing else: