Gibson Brands Forums

Zack Wylde and his constant squeals

guitar_randy

The thing I like about his playing is his vibrato. Its really aggressive. When I got my paul the first thing I learned on it was all of no more tears. I love that solo.

true, but the constant pinch harmonics thing gets really old with me

he's a hell of a player, yet it seems like he doesn't know how to write a riff without pinch harmonics

the constant pinch harmonics thing gets really old with me

he's a hell of a player' date=' yet it seems like he doesn't know how to write a riff without pinch harmonics[/quote']

I agree. He is technically brilliant but very boring. I can't stand listening to him honestly. I'll take a Gilmour type player anyday over his playing. Just my opinion.

...yes that stuff gets boring really fast... I used to like how the guy played (mostly live) because of his vibrato (something most other ozzy guitarists disnt use at all) which made him sound different to others, at the begining of his ozzy career. That was fine when he played whit ozzy, maybe because he didnt do it as much (again, at the begining).

Now, black label society, thats a completely different thing... the guy is just out of control... I think I have almost all of BLSs albums and while some songs (less than 25%) are good, most are boring due to hs abuse of pinch harmonics and vibrato. I cant believe such a talented player (a little overrated) can kill a good song that easy by just adding a fast solo with lots of his signature stuff... some songs requiere a fast solo, some dont; some dont even need a solo at all. BLS has some really nice soft songs, that really get you into them... and then out of nowhere comes a 100 m/h solo full of tapping, pinch harmonics, vibrato, and who knows what else. Just kills the song.

Pinch harmonics are great when played in the right spot and not abused.

I can't play my way out of a paper bag but when I jam with "non-metal" friends and I do the pinch harmonics thing here and there it is always a head turner. I don't use much high gain, I like them better on an overdrive setting.

Billy Gibbons uses them quote a bit in his own style and he sounds great.

Pinch harmonics are great when played in the right spot and not abused.

Speaking of squealies being used in the right place, and David Gilmour a few posts ago, Gilmour uses them in the Comfortably Numb solo from the Pulse tour to incredible effect - but only a few times here and there.

Zakk is so lame' date=' because he has so much talent that he throws away on really bad shredding

why does he do

when he can do

Well put.Alot of the crazy stuff he does does sound awsome and cool.But all the time?And it sounds appropriate for wowwing a crowd if playing a guitar solo while the rest of the band takes a breather for a few minutes,but in the beginning,middle and end of a song?No thanks

Well put.Alot of the crazy stuff he does does sound awsome and cool.But all the time?And it sounds appropriate for wowwing a crowd if playing a guitar solo while the rest of the band takes a breather for a few minutes' date='but in the beginning,middle and end of a song?No thanks[/quote']

I cant say it any better

I get sick of ANYONE who uses a certain aspect of noisemaking as a "trademark" to the point that it's in 90+% of everything they've ever played on. Angus doesn't do the open-string pull-offs on every other song, Page doesn't use the bow on every other song, Brian May didn't overdub 10 guitars on every other song...get the point?

Wylde has a few songs with and without Ozzy I like a lot, but honestly, I can't listen to more than a handful of them. I hear the same "wheedly-wheedly-weeeeeeer" 90-notes-a-nanosecond crap in almost everything, just like those godawful pinch squeals. After 3 songs off ANY given album of his (or Ozzy's), you've heard everything he's got. It's all the same style, same type scales, same horrid tones. The occasional Randy Rhoads ripoff lick here and there is fine (when he doesn't butcher the hell out of them), but seriously, the guy's playing has zero soul and no roll.

I feel the same way about a lot of modern bands who insist on tuning down to subsonic levels, over-process their guitar into some mushy craptone and always write songs based on the flavors of the week. I hear the same crap in most of it, and I only appreciate people who really know how to lay back and play in the pocket for the song's sake. Zakk just doesn't have that dynamic, and therefore I can't take him too seriously. He WAS funny as hell on Aqua Teen Hunger Force that time though.

H-Bomb

Archived