Gibson Brands Forums

What would you do?

ponty

So....you are perousing through your local Craigs List or similar for a desk,

when you come across a house contents sale. Washing machine, table, chairs, desk(!) etc

'all at reasonable prices' the ad says, going further to say 'if item dosent have a price, make an offer'

As you look through the photos you see this one...no price mentioned. What would you do?

8603-1557182512017.jpg

I'd go to GC that day. The "vintage" guitar find that is worth a fortune cost 40 bucks at the estate sale is right up there with a letter that starts "Dear Penthouse...".

rct

But don't tell Big Bill. He believes them letters.

rct

Wasn't '63 the plastic? It looks too black to my eye to be Rosewood, and thinner guard. Not a quality photo though..I would go have a look.Tell precious we're going to an estate sale.

OK, you got me...I guessed! [mellow]

It is not much of a photo, eh? Got nothing when we blew it up.

BluesKing777.

OK...so this is the rest of the story..

The house was occupied by a group of Filipinos,

who left the county, leaving every thing in the house for the landlord to deal with.

I called and asked about the guitar, and how much was it. 'You tell me' he said.

So of course I went to see it. I thought it was a B-25 from the photo, but infact

it is an LG2 serial 850422 - 66,67,68,69.

Generally, it is in reasonalble condition. No cracks, plenty of dings and scrapes on the back,

plastic bridge, which is lifting quite badly, neck angle difficult to assess, because of the bridge.

The surface of every part of it is seriously filthy....anyhow, I bought it for $50.

8603-24323192512017.jpg

8603-14323192512017.jpg

8603-11342192512017.jpg

8603-34323192512017.jpg

The plastic bridge isn't much, but fortunately that's not a difficult fix. The thick guard would bother me, but they come off pretty easily since they're applied to the finish and not the wood. The neck angle shouldn't be hard to approximate one way or the other, bridge pull notwithstanding. I'd say you did OK for $50👍

A few thoughts re this guitar:

> The last year for the LG-2 was 1962. That is the only year in which the LG-2 might have had a plastic bridge. It was replaced in Gibson's line up that same year ('62) by the B-25, which sported the plastic bridge through 1966. In '67, it was changed to a rosewood belly-up bridge. In '68 & '69, it became a rosewood belly-down bridge.

> Your serial number references to either 1966 or 1969. Because of the plastic bridge, that means this guitar was made in 1966. That also means that it is not an LG-2.

> This guitar has indicators that would make it an LG-1 (which remained available into the late '60s). Hard to tell for sure from the photo, but it does not appear to have a back-center strip of bracing. If indeed it does not, then the top should be ladder braced, and it is definitely an LG-1. The plastic bridge also has a non-adjustable saddle, which would be correct for an LG-1. The B-25 from this era had a back-center brace, an X-braced top, and a plastic bridge with an adjustable saddle. This guitar should also have the narrow 1-9/16" nut width.

> Re the thick pickguard, imho (having owned a number of these) the effect on tone is minimal & it looks great on there, so no reason to take it off - plus you'd be preserving it's signature appearance.

> Potentially a great buy. Get the bridge replaced & fire her up!

A few thoughts re this guitar:

> The last year for the LG-2 was 1962. That is the only year in which the LG-2 might have had a plastic bridge. It was replaced in Gibson's line up that same year ('62) by the B-25, which sported the plastic bridge through 1966. In '67, it was changed to a rosewood belly-up bridge. In '68 & '69, it became a rosewood belly-down bridge.

> Your serial number references to either 1966 or 1969. Because of the plastic bridge, that means this guitar was made in 1966. That also means that it is not an LG-2.

> This guitar has indicators that would make it an LG-1 (which remained available into the late '60s). Hard to tell for sure from the photo, but it does not appear to have a back-center strip of bracing. If indeed it does not, then the top should be ladder braced, and it is definitely an LG-1. The plastic bridge also has a non-adjustable saddle, which would be correct for an LG-1. The B-25 from this era had a back-center brace, an X-braced top, and a plastic bridge with an adjustable saddle. This guitar should also have the narrow 1-9/16" nut width.

> Re the thick pickguard, imho (having owned a number of these) the effect on tone is minimal & it looks great on there, so no reason to take it off - plus you'd be preserving it's signature appearance.

> Potentially a great buy. Get the bridge replaced & fire her up!

Great work Bobouz...it is clearly marked in the sound hole 'LG2', however, when I took the strings off and did an internal, it is ladder braced - LG1

There is no back strip, and yes the neck is very narrow.

"Generally, it is in reasonalble condition. No cracks, plenty of dings and scrapes on the back,<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252);">plastic bridge, which is lifting quite badly, neck angle difficult to assess, because of the bridge.<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252);">The surface of every part of it is seriously filthy....anyhow, I bought it for $50."

Fantastic!eusa_clap.gif

I have a 1965 LG1, ladder braced guitar. Mine, in tip top shape (replaced plastic bridge, still with original pickguard) is one of my favorites in my collection. You got a super deal. Hope you get it up and running! (You might want to just leave the plastic bridge on until it one day breaks rather than voluntarily replace it if you're short of funds).

Here's a link to me playing my LG1 on a song to hear how good a LG1 can sound (posting the link from my iPhone, so hope it works):

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

I have a 1965 LG1, ladder braced guitar. Mine, in tip top shape (replaced plastic bridge, still with original pickguard) is one of my favorites in my collection. You got a super deal. Hope you get it up and running! (You might want to just leave the plastic bridge on until it one day breaks rather than voluntarily replace it if you're short of funds).

Here's a link to me playing my LG1 on a song to hear how good a LG1 can sound (posting the link from my iPhone, so hope it works):

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

nice playing. Very 'woody' sound. I have cleaned my above find, and it already looks way better.

I have put light strings on tuned down low to get an idea of sound. not too bad so far.

It definately needs a new bridge. Any one know the cost of repacing plastic with rosewood

nice playing. Very 'woody' sound. I have cleaned my above find, and it already looks way better.

I have put light strings on tuned down low to get an idea of sound. not too bad so far.

It definately needs a new bridge. Any one know the cost of repacing plastic with rosewood

In the US, maybe $250 or so if the bridgeplate is good. May need to plug the holes from the lag screws coming up from below holding the plastic bridge on. It's a fairly straightforward job for a competent luthier, but I don't know if you have one in Bermuda.

I looked into that for mine 8 or 9 years ago - and I believe that $250 was around the price the luthier guessed. But we didn't pull the trigger because he said the plastic bridge was perfectly fine and if he were to replace it, he'd strongly suggest replacing the bridge plate, which looked like a torn up piece of plywood !

An ebony bridge would match the black plastic fine, rosewood would match the fretboard - but I'd pay closer attention to the type of wood used for the bridge plate to try to match what is taken out.

Great find - you'll love it once you get it up and running.

In the US, maybe $250 or so if the bridgeplate is good. May need to plug the holes from the lag screws coming up from below holding the plastic bridge on. It's a fairly straightforward job for a competent luthier, but I don't know if you have one in Bermuda.

Thanks Nick..I am the best luthier in Bermuda, and the worst too!

There is no one here so it will be the US or UK.

I looked into that for mine 8 or 9 years ago - and I believe that $250 was around the price the luthier guessed. But we didn't pull the trigger because he said the plastic bridge was perfectly fine and if he were to replace it, he'd strongly suggest replacing the bridge plate, which looked like a torn up piece of plywood !

An ebony bridge would match the black plastic fine, rosewood would match the fretboard - but I'd pay closer attention to the type of wood used for the bridge plate to try to match what is taken out.

Great find - you'll love it once you get it up and running.

Looking at the bridge plate form inside, I would guess replacement may be required.

Not only are theholes mashed, but it is incredably thick.

Thanks Nick..I am the best luthier in Bermuda, and the worst too!

There is no one here so it will be the US or UK.

I had not noticed this earlier!

Hey bye. (never could spell that greeting)

Me and Mrs lived on Knapton Hill, couple houses west of Harrington Hundreds, 84 - 87. John Swann was Premiere back then, the PLP was constantly fighting with the Bermuda Party, 40 Thieves was the place to be, and we ate well, especially at Romanoff. I played every Sunday at the White Horse. I worked at the base, Mrs out at NASA. Friday night fights at Pembroke Stadium. Very, very, VERY good times indeed.

rct

Archived