Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar mail order catalog 1970s

ksdaddy

in the mid 1970s I used to get a catalog in the mail, much like Musician's Friend, American Musical Supply, Sweetwater...but it was not as flashy of course. It was not on glossy paper and it wasn't even white, it was kinda a putty color. Might not have even had color, I can't say. I'm trying to remember the name of the company. Warehouse Sound? Freeport Music? Wasn't there a Rainbow Music too? I'm drawing a blank. One thing that was unique was that if you included the cover from their catalog exactly 5 years before, they'd give you $5.00 off or a discount of some sort. So if you placed an order in the 77-1 catalog and included the cover from 72-1....you get the idea.

Ring a bell?

Music Emporium..?

That's prolly it; I've still got one laying around, mid-80's, I think? Halfway between the plain copy you describe and the full gloss catalogs of today, all content is black and white. Pre-internet, for sure. I'll try to dig it out later and post a photo.

You know, before too long we'll be saying things like "Remember when we used to get CATALOGS? Real catalogs, printed on actual PAPER, and they used to come in the mail??"

Archived