Gibson Brands Forums

The Best I've Played And Sounded!

BluesKing777

And not one person heard......

Some of you sitting in the cold may like to hear....

It was sunset here, about 8.30pm, 72 degrees...and I went out to the back veranda to check my Weber Q was off and to put the cover on it.....

So it looked very pleasant outside, so I sat at my table and thought....'what's missing here?' Birds singing, crickets chirping.....hmmmm all pretty quiet....hmmmm, I can hear distant traffic!

Aha! No pool filters and pumps going either next door or over the back fence. Silence! Must have broke down.

Grabbed the old Gibson and played some instrumentals for half hour until it got too dark and a mozzie or a thousand might turn up. Just fabulous, the L-0 sounds superb outside playing at a wooden table!

Back inside to watch some movies now......

BluesKing777.

He's Australian

You don't need to ask what he's wearing

You don't want to ask what he was wearing.

It was also Australia Day yesterday (equivalent of 4th of July in the US), so much of the country was in a beer-induced stupor. Hence the quiet..... [biggrin]

Yep, mosquito!

They generally don't like me much, depending where I am...but the Better Half could be in a beekeepers suit and still get bitten by the mozzies. I live between the beach, a river and a wetland full of snakes and frogs and usually the frogs eat the mosquito larvae before getting eaten by the snakes and waterbirds! But they generally keep the mozzies down a bit.

Now a few hours have passed since I posted and it is obvious that all the houses except one are empty! All gone on holiday for an unnofficial long weekend (holiday was yesterday but they have taken an extra day off to make it a 4 day weekend). Good riddance. Grumpy here (me) works contract rate and worked all 5 days. Bowelface next door must have forgotten to put his pool filter pump on! Hooray!

I love playing acoustics outside! Since he put his pool filter next to my fence, it has been a waste of time playing with that ddrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr noise going 12 hours per day. Don't care that much as I rather practice guitar in my music room where nobody can hear my mistakes....but the weather was kind earlier and it is......fantastic to play outside for a change.

BluesKing777.

Yep. Last year I got comfortable with taking a guitar up to the back of the yard where a natural amphitheater of young trees keeps the area in shade, so facing west gives you a light breeze in the face most of the time, actually blowing sound back at me when I play. A weirdly great acoustic set up. We're north enough to get replenished with Canadian air every couple of days, so there are times when humidity and temp are perfect for my old gits. Gotta find a nice chair without arms, though. Wish I still had the LG2...sigh.

No bugs at all.

So it's 72 degrees, you're out on the back veranda playing your Gibson, and the birds are singing. Well, the last few days here it's been totally overcast, some rain, a little snow, a very damp chill in the air, a cold wind that cuts right through you, and don't know if the birds are singing because I don't care to go outside and listen. I envy your location, BK. HOWEVER, like you, I've got some sweet guitars to play. So, we have the important things in-common. Life is good. Enjoy...............Oh, and not a mozzie in sight...

Yes, you got the picture, JZ and all will be complete if you find a kitchen type chair that is the right height! Too high and you get get shaky leg, too low and you get hunched up. I got mine after we went looking for some groovy trendy bright and scary chairs to replace the standard stackable 'plastiques', and luckily the shop was out of stock and after the long drive and all the instructions from the Boss about this chair look and that chair look, well, I was exhausted and sat on a chair in the shop for a rest! And a couple of parts of me said: "This one" plain white painted kitchen chair - take it! Liked it so much I got 6 or 7 of them! Had to hear how they are not going to last outside because they are inside chairs, don't care, are we saving them....etc.

Playing alone outside is a purely selfish thing - nobody listening so you don't go into 'entertain' mode, just play and enjoy the tones. And conditions like that above are pretty rare..... it is amazing that all these people have moved to the area for the peace and quiet and then make so much noise!

I always thought if I ever owned one of the ocean front beach houses with the front deck that nothing would stop me sitting there and playing all night, except on a holiday weekend a couple of times I discovered that waves and wind are really, really loud! Couldn't hear my guitar! Darn that dream....

BluesKing777.

I'll be making the rounds soon on the flea market/yard sale circuit for 'that' chair. Antiques all around here in upstate NY. Old old to sit and play on, but the height matters little. I always play strapped up and never off the knee. I have time though, with 8 weeks of winter still facing us and then a month of in-between weather not suitable for acoustics. Don't care, I love being cooped up with guitars. If I had money I'd be like Howard Hughes... except for the fingernails.

Don't be foolish and play out in the cold you children, just because BK is having fun with you!

Yes, 72 degrees is pefect for acoustic guitar playing for me. (Can't find the 'degree' symbol on my iPad, must be one somewhere). Just sit and play instrumentals for as long as I could - always handy to have various instrumentals loaded for when the sore throats, colds and flu strike! Gigs go sour quick if you have a flu!

But the guitar goes hard if it is too cold and you get sweaty if it is too hot and the guitar goes out of tune - by the way, the L-0 was still in tune straight out of the case! So a quick warm up and let the stream of conciousness playing out! If I was really sure nobody was about, I would have done a yodel.

Now the important thing to some of you - what was I wearing? Standard black (Gazman?) T -shirt, black Spalding track pants that I bought 2 pairs of in about 1999 and which both have a hole on the right leg mid thigh from guitars and guitar playing! Shorts would have been nice, but we don't want to attract and meet bare legged the ...mozzies, snakes, spiders and scorpions and.......so long track pants and footwear is what some call flip flops but here they call them thongs.....black.......and that could have driven PM into an hysterical conniption fit.

I work at home, so I am already a short hair short nail Howard H!

BluesKing777.

BK,you should have a monthly column in Acoustic Guitar Magazine "Tales from a Guitarist on the Urban Fringe".

Always amusing and insightful.And the odd Funnel Web and shark story keeps those northern hemisphere punters on their toes!

Ha, thanks FB...

Do you think there could be any money in it to support the habit? I had a long practice on my 2002 OM18V before - a great guitar for blues fingerpicking, well mine is anyway. Simple, uncluttered mahogany/sitka....enough sustain but not too much to blur bass notes and treble....

(Sharks everywhere lately!).

Bad news, people are back in the house on my right, pool filter and pump are on and the screamfest kiddies pool party has begun at 11.30 am. Usually go for about 12 - 15 hours so I have 3 choices, go mad or go out or into my music room with headphones and guitar of some kind with pickup! Boss is settled reading a book on the couch and not interested in leaving, no money for the music shop.....may as well admit defeat and ride the pushbike down the bike track....

So this instalment of "Guitar From The Edge" is cut short......

BluesKing777.

If everyone goes on holiday to the same place at the same time maybe staying home is the best holiday destination. I mean; 'skeeters' (mozzies), sharks, jellyfish, snakes, pool pumps, dingoes, crocs, republicans, scorpions, rednecks, half-naked fat people, spiders, and worst of all, children, make for cause to re-define relaxation. Can't you rent out your beach house in the off season?

I'm in Cooperstown. In summer, half the population is chasing everything baseball. The other half is running from it.

Archived