Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SteveFord

Firebird Length

The Firebird is a long guitar which takes some getting used to.

Am I the only one who now finds the other Gibson models to feel short and cramped by comparison?

• Upvote 1

The Firebird is a long guitar which takes some getting used to.

Am I the only one who now finds the other Gibson models to feel short and cramped by comparison?

If I use the Explorer and the SG on the same night the SG feels like a toy.

rct

• Upvote 1

Vive la Difference.....!!

Said a wise man.....possibly French.....[unsure]

Long and short guitars each have their place and aficionados

That's the long and short of it.....[biggrin]

V

:-({|=

rct got it right. I have a firebird, and explorer and after playing those two for a while all my other guitars feel like they are half sized. Especially the Les Pauls. Got to say though firebirds and explorers are killer guitars. One of my favorite guitarists of all time Allen Collins played both and that is why I always wanted them.

• Upvote 1

I seem to play my Firebird more than my other guitars. I always bring my SG along as a back up. It seems like more guitar than the others but I'm tall, long arms, so it feels just right.

I owned a 1964 Firebird for 20 years ('75-'95). My other guitars at the time were a Strat and an LP, so the Firebird was WAY different in sound, feel and looks. I was into Johnny Winter and Dave Mason at the time, so I had to have one.

Man that thing was LONG, point-to-point they are longer than a P-Bass. At that time I probably wasn't good enough, or smart enough, to be bothered by the ergonomics compared to the Strat and LP. All I knew was I looked REALLY COOL playing that guitar.

The Firebird never did displace the LP as my #1 Rock & Roll Gibson, and I think what eventually soured me on the guitar (and it took almost 20 years), was the neck dive and thin sound of the mini-humbuckers, not really just it's shape and size. At the time I finally sold it, it was setup specifically for open tuning slide.... and then I realized I sucked at playing slide.

• Downvote 1