Gibson Brands Forums

NGD: SJ200

sbpark

Some may remember me contemplating in another thread about going down to one guitar and selling off the two Martins I have and using the funds to buy an SJ200 because I really missed "the one that got away" last year when I sold the one I had. Well, I found one for sale locally and rallied this morning the meet the seller after a 12+ hour night shift. Had been exchanging emails with the guy over the last couple weeks actually, originally offered him the HD-28 and some cash, which he politely refused, and I would check in now and then, and he still had the guitar. I have a strict policy these days (being more financially responsible), so if one comes in, one has to go out. I put my HD-28 up for sale and figured once it sells and the guy still had the HD-28 then I'd buy his SJ200. Because you can't be blamed for trying, I emailed the guy and made him an offer which he surprisingly accepted (about $100 more than what the low end of fair market value is for an HD-28 in incredible condition, which mine is in). Knowing that Craigslist is what it is and money talks, I wanted to meet him ASAP before someone else swooped in. Guitar is near mint, not a mark on it. It's a 2008, and the pickguard isn't even showing any signs of the screening wearing off at all, so I can tell it's really never been played. Has the stock LR Baggs Active Element that they were putting in these back in 2008, which isn't my favorite pickup, but I'll give it a shot, and it's easy enough to remove if I go that route eventually. Guitar sounds great, big low end, but it's strung with Elixirs, which are my least favorite strings. Hoping to give it a basic setup on my next day off. Will play it for a while and decide if I'll put a bone saddle in or not and see how she sounds plugged in (I tend to prefer the Tusq saddles for guitars with UST's).

Without further ado, here are a couple quick pics I took once I got home. Off to bed now (have to work the next two nights), and hoping I'll get some bites on the HD-28!

20170129_102519_HDR2_zpslffv48hq.jpg

20170129_102534_HDR2_zpssrcpdgmf.jpg

20170129_102613_HDR_zps4hehtfbo.jpg

....I really missed "the one that got away" last year when I sold the one I had.....

Congratulations on resetting the proper balance in the universe! There's nothing like a 6-string with a 17-inch-wide lower bout.... Gorgeous guitar you got there! msp_cool.gif

Thanks for the kind words every one, much appreciated! Really like how this guitar sounds once I got rid of the Elixirs and put on some EJ16's, adjusted the relief and lowered the action. I swear the original owner just bought the guitar, never had it set up, and left it in it's case for the last 9 or so years, and seems pretty much the way most gibbons seem to come from the factory with slightly higher than normal action. No worries though as the neck angle is perfect and there was a ton of saddle to go lower.

One thing I'm finding interesting is the fretboard wood. Doesn't really look like rosewood. Side by side with my '12 AJ the rosewood on the AJ is darker, streaked and just looks more like rosewood. The SJ200 is a more solid, uniform color and much, much lighter. I know it's tough to understand by just reading this, so I'll post up some pics tomorrow when I get home from work int he morning with the AJ and SJ200 necks side by side.

The guitar sounds great btw. Very lush and full, with clear highs, but not thin or spikey. Very pleasing sound. Still prefer my AJ over anything as that guitar seems to do everything and has the low end growl, but also has a very present but still warm high end, with a very woody, warm tone. It's like a J45 with more oomph, while the SJ200 is just big sounding! I'm liking it better than the HD-28 that I put up for sale. Comparatively the HD-28 has a much thinner high end, while both the HD-28 and SJ200 have a fat, warm low end.

EJ-16s? :unsure: how do you like them? I tried EJ-16s once on my J-200, yanked them off ASAP. Sounded very thin. I do use EJ-16s on several other guitars though. Congratulations on a great guitar.

Once they settle in they sound nice and warm/balanced, but right out of the pack they can be a bit harsh. You need to let them settle a bit. I also use Martin MSP4100's which I really like, just didn't think I needed the slightly larger low E that come in the Martin set due to the fact that this guitar already has low end for days. The EJ16's were a major improvement over the Elixrs that were on the guitar when I bought it. Super bright, harsh and shrill. I almost second guessed myself and passed on the guitar at first because I was worried it wasn't the strings. Glad I took the chance.

Nice looking guitar sbpark. I can't really tell from your pictures so far but the fretboard and bridge look like the same wood, Madagascar rosewood, used on my 2007 J-185TV. Mine is a natural finish too and I think the mad rose goes well with that finish. Play on.

Yes, looks just like mine. I was thinking your bridge especially looks like Mad rose. I thought maybe they only used it on TV's but yours looks like it has it too. Any chance yours is a TV? The guy I bought mine from told me it was a TV and it came with the Cali girl case but I guess there is a chance that your case isn't original. Or maybe Gibson shipped some of them in standard cases. Mine is a very light build too. Regardless, yours has a beautiful look. The back looks slab cut but still has some flame which strikes me as a contradiction. Very distinctive.

Yes, looks just like mine. I was thinking your bridge especially looks like Mad rose. I thought maybe they only used it on TV's but yours looks like it has it too. Any chance yours is a TV? The guy I bought mine from told me it was a TV and it came with the Cali girl case but I guess there is a chance that your case isn't original. Or maybe Gibson shipped some of them in standard cases. Mine is a very light build too. Regardless, yours has a beautiful look. The back looks slab cut but still has some flame which strikes me as a contradiction. Very distinctive.

I just wasn't expecting rosewood to look that light in color, and doesn't really look anything like the EIR that was used on the fretboard on the AJ.

I'm 100% sure it's a Standard. It's bone stock and it had the gold Grovers, Tusq nut and saddle,only one row of abalone inay on the bridge and the stock LR Baggs Active Element UST pickup (which is what they were using stock in 2008 on these...I'm still debating on whether or not to pull that pickup out since I hate UST's, but never plug in enough to justify it, but at the same time figure I should just leave it in rare event that I do need it).

• 2 weeks later...

Is this guitar for sale on Reverb? The pickguard appears to have been replaced with the

traditional guard (larger flowers and no pinstripe). 2008 was the first or second year

of the newer "gel coat" pickguards.

I do have it for sale on Reverb. Pickguard is original. I'm not sure why you think "it appears" to have been replaced. The guitar is mint/flawless. I can't see any evidence of the pic guard being replaced. This one is etched/engraved. Maybe because it's a transition year they used leftover pick guards. Regardless, it's a great guitar, just after having it setup and playing it for a week or so I think I'd rather have another slope shoulder instead. Also selling a really nice 2011 HD-28.

I do have it for sale on Reverb. Pickguard is original. I'm not sure why you think "it appears" to have been replaced. The guitar is mint/flawless. I can't see any evidence of the pic guard being replaced. This one is etched/engraved. Maybe because it's a transition year they used leftover pick guards. Either it's a great guitar, just after having it setup and playing it for a week or so I think I'd rather have another slope shoulder instead. Also selling a really nice 2011 HD-28.

Don't mean to offend you regarding the pickguard. If you look at all other 2008 model SJ-200s, they have the

newer style pickguard. One of the downsides of the newer guards of this era was that they started to curl on

the edges pretty quickly. Gibson remedied this with a different adhesive starting the next year.

The introduction of the True Vintage model SJ-200 also brought back the engraved style pickguard (like yours).

It probably helps differentiate the two models. In any event, yours could have been a "one-off" with the older

style pickguard. Good luck with your sale.

Archived