Gibson Brands Forums

Worst Concert Experience

Homz

My worst concert experience is either Garth Brooks in the early 90's in Dallas, TX or Neil Young mid/late 80's.

FIRST LET ME SAY I LOVE NEIL YOUNG. This tour was when he went totally country for a while and when I walked out of the show he had been playing for an hour and I only recognized the first song he did.

The Garth Brooks thing was me meeting a group of huge country music fans at the arena. This meeting them there was a great thing. I had my own vehicle and lasted about 3 songs before the onslaught of melodrama forced me to run screaming nearly slipping in my own puke from the revulsion of the moment.

I was packed into the pit at the ACDC "Back in Black" tour. I was pretty young. I couldn't move, and neither could anyone around me. Right before the encore I suddenly realized that my right leg was getting really warm. I turned back and this huge, drunk guy behind me was pissing all over my leg.

I was packed into the pit at the ACDC "Back in Black" tour. I was pretty young. I couldn't move' date=' and neither could anyone around me. Right before the encore I suddenly realized that my right leg was getting really warm. I turned back and this huge, drunk guy behind me was pissing all over my leg.

[/quote']

LMFAO!

Worst concert experience?...I can think of two...

My Bloody Valentine at Sheffield University 1989...the reviewer described them as having a 'colossal slab of noise'..more like a colossal slab of shite...absolutely dire...In second place comes Jane's Addiction at the Sheffield Leadmill 1989...promoting the Nothings Shocking lp..utter garbage live at that time ..... but after that what a transformation with Been Caught Stealing..the maddest most out there funky solo I've ever heard..maybe they were having a bad night..too many drugs..?

...I had to go with my fiance to a reggeton concert... you dont know what a traumatic experience that was...

Now if we are talking worst concert experience regarding one in which we were onstage... well at age 15 some friends and I made a band in school... we didnt have a vocalist, so each singed what best suited our voices... then a friend offered to sing... his voice sucked but he was a hell of a front man, or at least we thought so (consider our age and lack of experience at the time).

We had a gig at a school event, we rehearsed at the guy's house for a month... he did his best to train his voice to an acceptable level... our only concern was his voice.

The big day came, we got upstage, got ready to start, started playing, and then when he had to sing he just stood there... looking at the teenage crowd... then he did something I will remember for the rest of my life, he turned to me and said (in the open mic!) "forgive me Otton, I forgot the lyrics"... I just unplugged my guitar and stepped down from the stage, not looking back. The other guitar player did the same... the drummer the keyman and the bassist just kept playing, in front of 600 crazy kids that laughed their FN' a$$es off...

To this day when I meet friends from that "band" and friends that "supported and followed" us at the time, they always greet me with a "forgive me otton" hehehe...

So its not just me who thinks that?......I call it old slow hand getting slower.

Touche, brothers. EC typifies the mediocre British regurgitated blues shtick...

My worst concert experience was The Flaming Lips... a really watered down wannabe psychedelic band who weakly ripped off a few elements from Gibby & The Butthole Surfers. It was just mediocre in every way... the band sucked, the crowd was like dead meat, so lifeless. The whole thing was a surreal middle class I don't know what. It was all so "safe" and sanitized and dull, no action or thought-provoking, or even any hard party scene or a single hooky melody.

Around 1976 I went to a Tubes concert, kind of an "artsy" rock group from the Bay Area. It was my first experience with highly amplified drums. The noise was so high that my ears rang for days and I pretty much swore off rock shows. My ears are more important than seeing anyone perform.

Around 1976 I went to a Tubes concert, kind of an "artsy" rock group from the Bay Area. It was my first experience with highly amplified drums. The noise was so high that my ears rang for days and I pretty much swore off rock shows. My ears are more important than seeing anyone perform.

I know the feeling. I saw Queen in 1980 and had floor seats. I couldnt hear properly for 3 days. After that I always wore earplugs to concerts. I find it filters out alot of fuzz and you can actually hear the music better as well as saving your hearing.

I don't mean to turn this thread into a Clapton bash, but.......................

I had the unfortunate experience to catch a Clapton concert during his darkest era of the mid seventies. He even writes exstensively about this period in his recent book, and as I was reading it I was sure he was going to mention the actual concert I was at, but he probably can't remember much from that period.

It was a double bill, Clapton and Santana. What guitar god wanna-be wouldn't have bought tickets to that one. Santana opened the show and blew the roof off the place. Clapton staggered out, had to have a roadie actually put the guitar over his shoulder, and stumbled around stage blowing a police whistle and a duck call for the next hour and a half. I think he was even wearing the infamous raincoat. Concert tickets were about $5 or $6 at the time, so it wasn't a matter of being mad or feeling ripped-off, It was just a very sad thing to watch.

The next most disappointing show I saw was Bob Dylan a few years ago. Thank goodness Merle Haggard opened the show so there was at least some intelligable music performed that night. Dylan had a LOUD, stereotypical blues band of 20-something wanna-be's for back-up band, and he stood sideways at the back of the stage (by the drummer), and played what sounded like a Casio keyboard all night. He never once picked up a guitar for any song. Of the entire show there were only a few songs that I could actually somewhat recognize.

Tickets were like $100 a pop, but fortunately I was "comped" four seats in the second row. Had I paid for them I would have been REALLY been P'd. The bad part was that we had out of town friends drive in for the show and had to apoligize for making them drive in for this. If we hadn't been hosting guests I would have certainally walked out.

re: Clapton. The only time I've seen him was 2 years ago in San Antonio. He had Robert Cray, Doyle Bramhall II, Derek Trucks, Will Stainton and a great rhythm section (can't remember their names). Anyway, it seemed that the stimulus of playing with two really hot, young players got him to bring his game way up. Another impressive thing was the way he gave them lots of space in which to be featured, with him just playing in the background.

re: Worst. Has to be the Dead in a baseball stadium. We really went to see Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young (yes, he actually showed up). CSN&Y opened, and were in pretty good voice, remembered all the lyrics - a good, solid performance. Next were the Dead, and as was mentioned earlier, it seemed that there was just one, REALLY long song that never changed or ended. Had to walk out.

re: personal Worst; High school talent show. My buddy & I were playing guitar, backing up several singers. I went out on stage, plugged in and found that some "prankster" had de-tuned my guitar. Being young and inexperienced, I just walked off stage and let my friend finish the song. Unfortunately this event is imortalized on a recording that was made of the whole show! Comes under the heading of "paying your dues", I guess.

At some point back in the 80's I saw Boston.They didn't sound up to thier normal .Alot of complaints on the radio about the show the next few days.The excuse was that Tom had a injury of some type.Can't remember if it was a sprain,dislocation or what,but he stodd there like a log and and the quality of the music wasn't there.

Around.... 1988 I guess. I was 17 or 18 at the time. I got a call from my friend Scott who said that one of his friends couldn't make it to a concert and asked if I wanted to go. Ticket was already paid for.

"Who's playing?" I asked. Helloween, Armored Saint and Grim Reaper" he replied. I wasn't a huge fan of any of those bands, but it was a free ticket and I thought "What the hell..." Beats sitting at home.

Helloween went on first. They were so amazingly cheezy. I was into heavier stuff at the time and wasn't into this at all. Armored saint came on and we went to the front of the place (This is what I get for following my friends). We were watching the show pressed up against the barrier that keeps about a 4 foot space between the stage and the audience. Suddenly something comes down on top of me. Apparently the crowd was throwing somebody around on top of the audience and the guy landed on me.

My head went forward and underneath the weight of another human body I went straight down as with all of the people behind me pushing I had no where else to go. I got up and looked at my Drummer Lou and he had a shocked look on his face and pointed to my lip. There was a big hole in it because I had smashed my face into the barrier.

I never saw Grim reaper (No great loss there...) because I instead went to the hospital and got plenty of stitches. Still have the scar from it too. Thankfully I didn't break any teeth.

Needless to say I didn't go to a show for a while after that. O:)

It is a close race between 2 for me. 1991 Suicidal Tenbdencies, mosh pit, some Calvin Klein preppie kept trying to clothesline and punch the rest of us punks who were just moshing to release some pent up sexual angst.

One of the spiky-haired punks finally took care of preppie. He got a taste of his own medicine. Not pretty and derailed the whole experience from the fun track for me.

The second: 1985, Aerosmith, front center up against the stage. Steven Tyler took a huge drink of water from a bottle and proceeded to spit all over me. Now I dig Aerosmith, but not enough to want to be spit on!

The second: 1985' date=' Aerosmith, front center up against the stage. Steven Tyler took a huge drink of water from a bottle and proceeded to spit all over me. Now I dig Aerosmith, but not enough to want to be spit on![/quote']

LOL

Archived