Gibson Brands Forums

Monkees

deepblue

didn't Michael Nesmith actually play guitar as well?

Yes, Mike and Peter were REAL musicians. Mike came out of the Bakersfield (LA) California country music scene, and Peter had played the folk circuit in Greenwich Village (NYC) .

Davy and Micky were both accomplished child actors.

I spent a wonderful day at Mike Nesmith's home in the Monterey hills in California in 2003 when we interviewed him (a RARE interview) for the magazine I used to own called ArtistPro, which went to the members of the Grammy organization. Mike was awesome, such a nice cat. We talked about everything, BUT the Monkees. My little girl had a little girl crush on young Mike from the show. I took a photo with him, and brought it home and showed her, but she being eight she wasn't getting it that the guy she was seeing on TV reruns was now an old guy. She saw the photo and said, "Uh, is that his daddy?"

The one thing I hate about the Monkees is not the band per se, its the fact that they were not in charge of their own destiny.

By the time they finally released their own material, it was too late.

The best way to leave the past behind is to embrace it and use it.

Thats why its great to know that the group has been on the road

Looking back now you can see the show, as a TV comedy was way ahead of its time. Many of the techniques they used such as the quick cut and stepping out of character to speak directly to the viewing audience made the show seem cool. The Beatles themselves enjoyed the show. The press tried to portray them as fakes that hadn't payed their dues and couldn't play their instruments but the Monkees were always honest about what they did and didn't do. I give em credit for fighting Don Kirshner for control over the music.

It was a job. They were famous. And damned good at it. Mickey Dolenz is a work of art.

There are old timers in this forum *****!n about the Jonas Brothers. While they may not be as good, it's the same damned thing. It's a job and a career we would have killed for, at that age.......................

Miley Cyrus is pretty damned talented too, camera ease, eye contact, self pity, comedy, chaos, ect., but you'll never hear that in this forum. Because, why?

Ha.

Murph.

It was a job. They were famous. And damned good at it. Mickey Dolenz is a work of art.

There are old timers in this forum *****!n about the Jonas Brothers. While they may not be as good' date=' it's the same damned thing. It's a job and a career we would have killed for, at that age.......................

Miley Cyrus is pretty damned talented too, camera ease, eye contact, self pity, comedy, chaos, ect., but you'll never hear that in this forum. Because, why?

Ha.

Murph.[/quote']

+1. Best to YOU, amigo.

Archived