Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AnneS

A selection of final mixes

I mentioned elsewhere that we are interviewing mastering engineers next week, now that we have final mixes in hand. If you'd like to sample:

Three tracks

We have sometimes discussed, here on the forum, the various pros/cons of studio work and production adds. As a general follow-up, let me say I'm very glad about the treatment choices we made on this project. In this sampling, you'll hear the density of a battle scene I wanted for "Tribe," the sparse, dirge-like ambience I wanted for "Come See" (which, by the way, is the title track for the CD), and the ironic carnival attitude that I wanted for In Parting (End of the World Song).

My Bob does good work; everything that is not me or my acoustics is him (except for the electric guitar on Tribe; I had a friend come in for that.) But that piano on "In Parting?" No wonder many of us regret not learning to play it...

Anyway, there you have cuts 2, 5, and 9 for your listening pleasure (I hope).

Great job! I love the way your voice is up enough in the mix to hear the words clearly (many times that is not the case...a pet peeve of mine). I also love the arrangements of all the other instruments to enhance your songs, especially the rollicking piano. [thumbup]

Really, really good!

After the jolt of hearing Tribe for the first time a few weeks ago, this time I could sit back and listen to the irony of your paean to modern isolationism and paranoia: grab your guns and lock those "others" out.

It just made me more determined than ever to never get sucked down that rabbit hole.

You do have a somewhat grim view of the world at times, but it does help you write great songs.

Really, really good!

After the jolt of hearing Tribe for the first time a few weeks ago, this time I could sit back and listen to the irony of your paean to modern isolationism and paranoia: grab your guns and lock those "others" out.

It just made me more determined than ever to never get sucked down that rabbit hole.

You do have a somewhat grim view of the world at times, but it does help you write great songs.

Ha! Thanks, Nick--yes, I wondered if that selection weren't a bit darkly bent, taken together.

But have no fear, I have a tonic for that:

Four more

(Gravity, Sweet Return, Truest North and The Company I Keep--all shined up and ready to go.)

Thanks for listening, friends--you're all quite kind.

Are these your original compositions, Anne?

Yes, Neil--all 11 tracks on the upcoming CD are my originals. Songwriting, like singing, came on later in life for me.

Making hay now, I guess...

Thanks Anne! Shaping up beautifully.I like the mixes.The additional instrumentation is complementary and subtle.Your voice and guitar are at the front - which is how I like it.

Lyrics are crystal clear aurally and in intent. [thumbup]