Gibson Brands Forums

Selling my vinyl.

jdgm

Mind if I go on a bit?

I am 63 this year, unemployed and with a tiny pension. I need extra cash to get by and have started to sell my (about 2000? items) vinyl LP collection on the net, so far mostly on discogs.

I don't regret this as I've played and loved listening to 'em all in the past - they were all bought for a reason - and now much of it is duplicated on CD.

So far and for awhile yet I am selling items which I won't miss; variety is the spice of life and of a good record collection, and that variety is what's going first - I don't really need or even listen to some of it.

In days gone by I might buy an LP for a single track, or because it was the new one by a favourite artist and I had to have every record they put out, or (most important) because I liked the cover....how many albums did I buy because of that?

Am re-auditioning all the LPs I put up for sale so I can grade them - near mint, very good plus, etc; which can be difficult - how often did you buy a completely noise-and-click-free LP? You know, why did they invent the CD?

But what comes over is how bloody good it still sounds...and then you turn it up...and think "no, can't sell this" and it goes back in the rack.

For example:

Little Walter Vol 2 - I have the tracks on CD but on vinyl, no contest.

Pharoah Sanders "Black Unity", OMG! I'd forgotten.... a keeper.

I have 3 versions of "The Cry Of Love" so one is for sale but what a lovely, warm-sounding record it is. "Night Bird Flying" is one of Jimi's finest and well-taken studio tracks IMO.

OTOH "Kiss The Sky" is (IMO) a reprehensible compilation from the Alan Douglas years which is an early "Digital Master Mix" (8-bit?) and it sounds like he used an Aphex Aural Exciter. Tsk! No longer need to hang on to that one.

Selling some Segovia too - "3 Centuries of the Guitar" is the Maestro at the top of his very considerable game - truly awesome and untouchable, though I must confess I had played it so few times I didn't know any of it when I auditioned it earlier today.

Not quite my thing though I did actually see him play live, and listening to this brings home what a virtuoso he was.

I have an original Swan Song gatefold of "Presence" in vgc and was amazed how much it's worth. Also have the CD remaster, so....

And still have 10 Leo Kottke LPs...TEN! Time to rationalise this lot but they ain't worth much.....stunning playing though.

Then there's the good stuff I don't want to sell....yet....which I'm not going to mention!

Vinyl....my life in records....brought me the music in the first place.

Deck2012.jpg

I got rid of all mine years ago... and have been lately buying it back! Not all of it mind you, but some of the stuff I really loved back in the day. I found this place called The Edit. They text you an album everyday based on your preferences. If you don't want it you do nothing. If you want it you text "buy". Their stuff is all high quality 180-200 gram re-pressings. Unfortunately I am texting "buy" way too often. Must stop! [biggrin] Or at least slow down.

Even thinking about upgrading my turntable now. And maybe eventually getting a separate system just for the vinyl instead of using my "home theater" amp and speakers. Maybe a decent phono preamp and a nice tube power amp.

All the originals are still there at a price on discogs (for instance).

I'll never get rid of all of it - some things are just meant to be played in that format.

And these days people are buying record decks which connect to a USB....HUH??

Wow John,what a collection!

I just hope you have the time and financial space to allow you to sell them all at or close to value, and not to some 'yeah matey, I'll take the lot of your hands for 5 grand' shyster. There are loads of genuine people buying vinyl for their own collections these days from right across the world (including a close friend of mine) - it can and will eventually sell to genuine music lovers, so I hope they all find a good home and help secure your future.

I'm not far from ya at 55. I have 1000+ albums and can't imagine ever selling them. Hope I never have to.

They are almost like a record of my life. I can pull a record out of my collection and tell you how old I was when I got it, how I acquired it, how it affected me etc.. I also love all the artwork, posters and other cool stuff that came with them that you just can't get in a CD.

I still occasionally buy vinyl. I do think I can tell a difference between it and other forms of recorded music.

I feel a little sad hearing your story. Hope you get a lot of money for those gems. [thumbup]

I hopped on the digital bandwagon back in the late 90s and basically stopped listening to music.

Even sold my turntable but my wife talked me out of selling my album collection.

One fine day Lenny Kaye basically forced me (FORCED ME!) to buy a Well Tempered turntable that his wife had inherited and music never sounded so good.

Keep the albums if you can.

Yeah as a teenager growing up in the 70s every payday meant at least one new album. By the time I got married in the early 80s I had quite a collection but a wife, three kids and three address changes can ruin ones record collection. Often I'll hear someone mention a long forgotten LP or artist and I'll think "Hey I used to have that album!" Many I did replace on CD but the warmth of those original records was NOT the same.

Anyway I still had a few crates of em left in the basement when my oldest son started asking me about vinyl and if I still had any of the CLASSICS. Well short story it started us on a music bonding safari. We would go to used records stores and I'd advise him on the good, the bad and the ugly.

It even made me hook up my old Technics turntable. The circle of life I guess.

Here's hoping that you can hold onto your favorites at the very least.

Growing up in the 70s I collected LPs, working as a DJ in the 80s I massed a collection of more than 10,000 records, mostly 12" singles and promos... My records have gone from Florida to San Francisco, to Los Angeles to Spain... Still have them all. Maybe I can retire and just sell my records... :-k

Yep! About 5 years ago I tried selling some of my vinyl. It proved too time consuming (inspecting them, listening to them to rate them, and then document and post them) so I only ended up selling a few. This year at x-mas one of my sons received a turntable so I came home one day and he was pulling out stuff he wants to listen to. Glad it worked out this way now.

I grew up in the 80's and for me buying records took effort, money was tight. I still have all my records and I have added more over the years.

Hell, I wish I had added a lot more when people where dumping them in the 90's. Prices now are insane.

I still listen to them as much as I can, definitely my preferred format.

There are a few that I can part with but it takes so much effort and time to sell them.

I've got a Rega manual turntable, Harman Kardon 730 receiver, an old Sony CD player, 2 Cerwin Vega speakers, and 2 ADS L-710 speakers sitting in a closet and will likely never be used again. I'm currently using a Bose five speaker and subwoofer surround sound entertainment center for most of my audio. My hearing is not good, and because I use hearing aids, superlative sound quality is wasted on me.

My albums are sitting in storage at a friend's house (along with his), and between the two of us, we have close to 3000, all from the '60s to the '80s, but many are duplicates. I doubt I'll ever try to sell them even though I'll probably never play them, again. I guess it will be up to my friend to determine what happens to them.

Interesting thread - thanks for starting it, jdgm.

Shame you have to shed such things but I'm sure you know the situation better than we do.

I, too, still have a lot of my old vinyl - and I'd have a lot more if only I could remember to whom I 'loaned' which album...lol!

I still play a lot of it regularly as I didn't choose to duplicate much of it - there's probably still 7- 800 left and that would tie-up a bit of cash in replacement CDs. What came home to me today, though, was how much 'Rice Krispies' (aka 'Snap, Crackle & Pop') there is on my discs. I was listening to my 'Beano' a couple of hours ago and it was actually quite a disheartening experience.

I've seen the 'wood-glue as a cleaner' clip and should like to give it a try!

Pip.

Just over half of my vinyl, taken in 2012. The CDs and (boxes and boxes of) cassettes are elsewhere.

Box sets and classical are on top shelf. This stuff does take up some room.

LPs2012.jpg

Many thanks for all the answers, all of which resonate very strongly with me!

I had a huge collection of albums from the 60's and early 70's. Two turn tables one of which was hooked up to my computer. I spent some time burning a few choice songs I had not duplicated with a cd. Nothing but a pain trying to sell them. I ended up selling them to a vintage record store for 50 cents an album. Kinda of a bummer but they were taking up a lot of space collecting dust. I stopped listening to them years ago. I don't feel bad about selling them, besides my adult children don't own a turn table and would just throw them out. Now my 45 rpm's are a different story. They date from the 50's through the early 70's. A lot of the 50's records have the picture sleeves. This collection my kids will have to throw out. I still listen to them. IMO vinyl will always sound better than cd's.

....Now my 45 rpm's are a different story. They date from the 50's through the early 70's. A lot of the 50's records have the picture sleeves. This collection my kids will have to throw out. I still listen to them.

These could be worth a LOT if they have original sleeves and are in playable/good condition. Well worth checking prices on the net.

There are vinyl junkies like me, LP and CD collectors.....and then there are the hopelessly insane; 45rpm collectors. [smile]

My pants just got tight.

[laugh] [laugh]

In the pic, Beatles fans will notice on 2nd shelf down just left of centre and next to each other, the red and blue spines of the 2 famous singles compilations; right of centre on the same shelf, the distinctive checkered spine of the Brand X 1st LP (I still have 5 by them).

I could go on but won't.