Gibson Brands Forums

Sal has put his Vintage Bird up for sale - talk him out of it !

EuroAussie

Posted Today, 03:34 PM by Sal

I like the idea of Anne renting it...

I think I will keep it, but Anne if you want to dance with it for a month or two hit me back channel. Just record one song with it on your album...deal?

Hey Sal? I get to rent it next after AnneS? I will record side by side with my Bird Ltd. [thumbup]

Trans

I am also toying with the idea of joining a band I have been asked to join. I would also need an electric - and an amp. If I go that route I would not want to have so many guitars, and would want to stay disciplined.

I think I know that headspace Sal. I too am of a certain age with certain responsibilities and only so much time and energy for playing. When I am in a band, that consumes that available playing time cos there is a duty to be 'right'. I just stop playing pretty much anything other than the set and working up the odd new song - all the time aware that an enjoyable part of what I do when not in a band has been discarded for that time. Songs dedicatedly learned for the fun and challenge are lost, new directions are not pursued etc - cos we ain't 18 any more and...time and energy...

You seem to have the wisdom to sense what all that will/would mean. So it feels wasted to not be using something good and a question of does it feel right to keep it. (?). I don't know, but if you think one day after the band and everything else it will be cool to come back to what you do now and be inspired all over again, maybe stash it away somewhere out of sight and mind and put the decision on the back-burner a few years. [smile]

You said that you play your Martins and the J50 more. That is always my first indication that a guitar is going to be moved along. I'd keep it another month or so, and then if it remains largely unplayed, that's telling you something.

Just my thoughts having been there a number of times.

Rb

First world problems for sure...

Please don't misunderstand - not touching guilt-issues here, for heavens sake NO !

Obviously the Board is in full right to do exactly what it does and I would'n'should be the last to bring bad conscience up on these pages.

This thread just appears to be particularly extreme - a bit like a team of desert-experts commenting something that probably is a fatamorgana.

Guess I saw myself/us from outside a short moment, , , and had a giggle - neverrrrr mind.

Now back to us trying to convince you to keep a stellar 4th square, which after all might stay - but if it doesn't most likely sooner or later will be replaced by a 5th.

That of course - when it comes down to it - only if you are a square hog person at all , , , which in the end could turn out not to be the case.

Precisely that might be what is investigated in this phase - and isn't it entertaining.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . "To square or not to square, , , that's the question. ."

I have never been sentimental over guitars. Have sold many 'lifetime' guitars and moved on. For me at least, its the experience of them more than having them.

All material things will be separated from us sooner or later, one way or the other anyway. So, enjoy the experience - or not and move them on.

Unless you have bills to pay I wouldn't justify it economically, particularly if you boughtt new. With guitar players it is rarely about sensible economics (although we may tell ourselves that) and more about interest in a new flavor of guitar experience.

I think the key here is to ask yourself if the guitar brings you joy. Does it enrich your life? It does not necessarily need to be played to do that. That is at least how I reason with my own guitars. All I really need is one solid guitar, but I have more than that because I enjoy them both as instruments and as material objects. Sometimes I just like to look at them [biggrin] I tend to buy vintage replica style guitars, as they sort of echoes all the great music and history from the past. I like that. That is also the reason my radio is one of those furniture size things from 1957. Material objects, art or otherwise, do have the ability to make our lives fuller, and what better objects than guitars for that purpose?

Don't sell because of felling quilty you own it. Only sell it if you can take that money and enrich your life in an even better way, which you otherwise could not.

Lars

I like the idea of Anne renting it...

I think I will keep it, but Anne if you want to dance with it for a month or two hit me back channel. Just record one song with it on your album...deal?

Good!!!

now, make it a point to grab Bird verses one of the Martins or even the J..

seems that you know you'll probably never sell these..

Then revisit the thought in 4/8 weeks...

............easier to let go of one when you have 2 or more.

In other words Sal? This is a keeper that you wont regret not letting go as you have probably bonded with it already.

It's like a dog that you kicked out but keep's coming back as it's your best friend in a way amongst others. [thumbup]

You did a good thing in deciding to keep it Sal!

p.s. But if you ever do? I will be more than happy to give 'er a caring new home and that you have my word.

Peace!

Another thread that 'keeps on going', so...

You won't understand how much keeping certain material items from your financially productive past means until you retire and have to slow down. Screw guilt - you'll get plenty of time to experience relative austerity later.

I think with all the response we have helped Sal keep his Bird intact and will stay with him for quite sometime now.

All we want to hear Sal is some clips with that Bird of yours if you haven't had one yet. [thumbup]

Let's hear her out how much of a keeper she is really!

Trans

I think with all the response we have helped Sal. . .

I kinda worry this thread has taken good ThemisSal hostage inside his side-passion :

To deal guitars back'n'forth, get new ones and pass them further.

Then again I'm sure he (excuse me the third person, Sal) is able to cut through any rope we might tie around him.

But this would demand strength and therefor be quite dramatic. Suspenseful it is.

In fact these last 3 pages could be seen as the script for a long lasting piece of psychological theater.

Though I really admire his burned Bird, I'm glad not to be in his (tight) shoes.

Rock on, Sal - and enjoy your coming band-membership - you will add flavor & soul to that lucky act.

Archived